first game purchases?

smelly_socks

CAG Veteran
I'm contemplating the purchase a PS3.

What should be the first 5 games i acquire? (exclusives only, I've had an Xbox 360 for a few years, so re-purchasing games doesn't sound fun.)

Killzone 2, Resistance 1, Hot Shots Golf (My favorite game this gen), Uncharted 1/2, Then on January 17, LBP2.

Going by your signature I take it that you enjoy RPGs so:

3D Dot Game Heroes
Demon's Souls

One will cleanse your palette of the other.

I'm not sure what your budget is...but here is a solid list of 5 games under $100 (well maybe a little less or little more)

Resistance 2 (alternative Killzone 2) ~ $20
MGS 4 ~ $15
Uncharted ~ $15
Valkyria Chronicles ~ $20
Heavy Rain ~ $25
total ~ $95 (~ $103 with CA tax)

Honrable Mentions are...
God of War 3 (only reason not on the list cause I haven't played GOW3 yet)
Ratchet Clank series
Folklore
Gran Turismo 5
etc.

Try to get a well rounded set of games (ie. do not get Killzone 2, Resistance 2, MW 2, MW, etc... you'll get bored pretty quick). Also, have you tried google? There are probably thousands of people who have asked the same exact question and even guides to choosing best PS3 games. Check out any of the major game journalism annual buyers guide; you'll often spot one or two exclusives in those lists.

I would also suggest using Goozex or Cag and trade some of your old 360 games for some of these PS3 games. All of the suggestions are good. If your into singing games you may want to check out Singstar, and if your into baseball MLB The Show is a must (but 11 comes out in March).

Definitely get Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls. Both are relatively cheap now and both are awesome.

Others:

Heavy Rain (excellent game for one play through if youre into this type of game)
God Of War 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Valkyria Chronicles
Ratchet & Clank series
Infamous

There's a lot of killer exclusives coming up next year. You can look at the list I made for those.

A lot of what people are naming are good games to get. I'll add MAG to that list as well. May be my favorite first person shooter I've ever played.

If I could just recommend 1 ps3 exclusive it would have to be uncharted 2. It's by far the best game I've ever played on any system in any generation. The graphics are pretty good (a little dated by todays standards), but the fluidity of combat, hiding, movement, and verticality is second to none. Of the 4 BIG PS3 mature exclusives (uncharted, GOW, Killzone, and infamous), I'd have to rank it the 3rd best in terms of graphics, but the overall best game of 4. It's my 1 favorite game of the last decade and a lot of good games came out from 2000-2009. I'm also no PS3, fanboy. I'm an equal opportunity gamer (I own all 3 consoles of this generation and pretty much every generation) and I can say without a doubt that uncharted 2 is the best game I've ever played bar none.

God of War 3 is an excellent entry into that series. The game play isn't midblowing (it plays like any other GOW game, but the graphics and scales are unreal). At one point you fight a character who is so large you're the size of his finger nail. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm ragging on the gameplay. It's top notch, but it isn't evolutionary like the first god of war. THe graphics and character models are easily the best I've ever seen. That includes some PC games. Cratos and all of the various gods and mythical creatures look amazing. The general bad guys (i.e. the guys you fight in large numbers) aren't all that impressive to look at but thats made up for by the huge amount of mini-bosses and bosses who look great.

Resistance 2 is pretty damn good. I like it a lot except for the fact that there is no way to brighten up this game. It's super dark which is kind of annoying. To see anything I have to change my TV settings.

Besides that most of the games I like on the PS3 are cross platform releases. The xbox has really owned this generation in terms of exclusive releases (mines been long broken :( )

One game I can't recommend is Killzone 2 (something about this game is just broken to me). Graphically it's easily the best looking game of this or any generation on a console. I really don't think I've seen a prettier looking game on any system. It lived up to the PS3's pre-launch hype in terms of graphics. However the gameplay just isn't all that fun to me (uncharted 2 is way more fun). All of the control options suck IMO and none of the guns have that wow factor.

Bottom line it's my opinion if you own an Xbox 360 and don't care about the ps3 exclusives then don't buy one. Xbox has way better exlusives in terms of games and DLC. Most PS3 games are on the 360. I will recommend a PS3 if you want a bluray player, a reliable system that won't breakdown (my launch system been like a tank), and if you want free online gaming. Seriously paying for online gaming is just dumb to me. These reasons alone are why I won't rebuy an xbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
btw if you're looking to buy GOW3, they have it for a measly $15 @ blockbuster(you can get a free game too). Its a masterpiece of a game.

But I cant recommend heavy rain enough dude. That is one hell of a game. My All time favorite PS3 game.

bread's done
Back