First Pic of Ledger as Joker in new Batman!

muncle

CAGiversary!
JokerFinal.jpg

Hmm..Looks better and darker than I thought Ledger could pull off. Now that the Joker is pretty much confirmed to be awesome, this movie is starting to shape up to be must-see for me!

Also: Here's th original sites for people who want to see it there..

http://ibelieveinharveydent.warnerbros.com/ - the original
http://www.ibelieveinharveydenttoo.com/ - The joker (stay for a second and the pic will reveal itself)

Green?

I'd love for him to look like that fake shopped pic that was circulating a while back, from an old movie.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']looks dark, but i dont think hell do better than jack. jack was great in the original.[/QUOTE]
I love Jack Nicholson, and all... but his performance felt too much like Jack Nicholson playing dress up.

In other words, it was Jack Nicholson with facepaint.

It was cool, but it's not what I'd like to see in a serious Batman film.

Jack was good but I agree with Brak it was Jack playing dress-up. I love the Dark Batman movies. Ledger's photo is looking awesome, which means the movie will be.

Sweet, looks really dark. I love it.

Sadly (for the box office take, at least), you and I will probably be in the minority, as 'the masses'* will probably reject this series once word-of-mouth gets out (again) as to how 'dark' the movie is/will be. I can almost hear them now...

(Wavy transition effect)

ugh! gross! doesn't appear to be the charmer that Jack was.

EDIT: Seriously, I don't know how long Nolan and friends can keep this up with studio pressure mounting, but these clearly aren't 'Happy Meal' movies, by any means. If we can get three solid Batman films out of this crew, I will consider it a minor miracle, all things considered (but mainly WB and the cineplex audience).

*--Oh, but they'll mindlessly endorse incoherent Spider-Man sequels, which are required to have at least one character cry, one Stan Lee stilted cameo, and one shot of Spidey flying past a rippling American flag. Oh, sure, there's also the Bruce Campbell cameo, but I'm tryin' to bash, not support, here!

While I still wish the role went to Paul Bettany, this seems to be shaping up pretty well.

0602.jpg

[quote name='sixersballernum3']

I'd love for him to look like that fake shopped pic that was circulating a while back, from an old movie.[/QUOTE]

This one?

joker_darknight.jpg

Yeah, I don't like that at all. I didn't like Jack's look as the Joker and his was much better than this. That just doesn't look very good at all. And that's a close up. I think if that's the new joker look, when he appears on screen, it just won't look right. People will look at it and go, That's not the Joker. That's what I think when I see it.

When you compare comics to film, you have to realize that comics, in terms of characters, are more aesthetic than film.

In other words, the way that this adaptation's Joker acts will be more important than he looks. Most importantly, a harmony between the two factors.

Remember, The Joker's appearance came from a chemical accident. The Joker of the the comic world and the original film (which was, essentially, slightly corny), was absurd. This one looks more appropriate to its origin.

I don't like it.

I'm all for a dark look or whatever, but I do not like that at all. Could be much better.

Hopefully it will look better in the movie.

That Bettany pic looks more like a version of the 1960's tv show joker, LOL. It would definitly not fit into the style that Nolan has taken for Batman.

[quote name='Korben']That Bettany pic looks more like a version of the 1960's tv show joker, LOL. It would definitly not fit into the style that Nolan has taken for Batman.[/QUOTE]

Of course not, it was just a photoshop image. Its more telling of his mannerisms than anything else.

[quote name='Brak']When you compare comics to film, you have to realize that comics, in terms of characters, are more aesthetic than film.

In other words, the way that this adaptation's Joker acts will be more important than he looks. Most importantly, a harmony between the two factors.

Remember, The Joker's appearance came from a chemical accident. The Joker of the the comic world and the original film (which was, essentially, slightly corny), was absurd. This one looks more appropriate to its origin.[/QUOTE]

I could not disagree more with that statement. it's more than just asthetiocs. I understand that. But the asthetics are an important part of a character. It's the old expression, "The clothes make the man."

They could have a character look 100% like the character from the comics and cartoon. But if he isn't played correctly, written correctly, etc, it'll suck. Likewise, they have a character written well, and if it isn't represented properly by the actor, what's the point. Finally, they can have the other two, but if it doesn't look like the character, if the character isn't presented as people expected, as the source material has described him for generations, then they'll also find the character wanting.

I'm not saying there can't be differences. There definately can be. But we've reached the point in films with makeup and special effects that compromises are no longer necessary. Instead, they are done as part of artistic license of the director, producer, writers, whatever.

Now there are a lot of reasons for it. One being that everything now needs an explanation. I'm quoting you on the Jokers Origin, "the comic world and the original film (which was, essentially, slightly corny), was absurd." Why is it absurd? It's F-I-C-T-I-O-N! I find there is a whole generation of readers that want every piece of fantasy, sci-fi to have some plausible explanation. It doesn't matter that the more realistic explanation is as much bullshit as anything else, but they want it to sound plausible.

That's the type of thinking that made Lucas cause Jedi powers to be formed from bacteria! I call it the Star Trek effect. Everything in fantasy and sci-fi needs a quasi-scientific explanation now. Even with magic, there are rigid formula and steps that need to be taken. Hello, it's magic. it's fiction. If the fiction says that the Joker fell into a vat of chemicals, why is that absurd? Why doies that make the character any less dark or foreboding? But the detailed explanations are even more bullshit than the explanations that were more vague in the past. And often, where there is a re-writing of an origin story or core concept, it makes things worse, not better.

Look, it's just a picture, so we don';t really know where it's going. But it gives an indicator that they're trying something different. And just because I don't like it doesn't mean it'll automatically be bad. It may be very good in the final outcoome. But my spider-sense is tingling that there's something wrong with it. And I personally don't like the look. And I think it kisses a lot of the point of why the Joker looks like he does.

Looks good. If this movie is half as good as the original, it will still be the best movie of next year.

Yeah, I said it, and I mean it. Batman Begins was THAT good.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I could not disagree more with that statement. it's more than just asthetiocs. I understand that. But the asthetics are an important part of a character. It's the old expression, "The clothes make the man." [/quote]

I didn't say it was unimportant.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Finally, they can have the other two, but if it doesn't look like the character, if the character isn't presented as people expected, as the source material has described him for generations, then they'll also find the character wanting.[/quote]

Simply put, in film, the character's role is more important than he looks. If they nail the character's role, which is truly what's important to the -story-, they can take creative liberties with the character's appearance.

Now, it's important that the character resembles the source material, in my opinion (and this isn't always the case). And, again, in my opinion, this teaser image resembles the comic book Joker -- and for anyone to be angered or upset by what they've seen, which is very little, is short-sighted. Wait until you see the entire character, as opposed to a clearly photoshopped concept piece of the actor's face.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I'm not saying there can't be differences. There definately can be. But we've reached the point in films with makeup and special effects that compromises are no longer necessary. Instead, they are done as part of artistic license of the director, producer, writers, whatever.[/quote]

Well, this "final" look isn't a compromise. You may know the story of the comic book character (probably the cartoon character, like most others), but you don't yet know the story of the film character. The Joker isn't wearing grease paint, or anything like that. His appearance is a result of a chemical explosion -- and that's what this teaser image reflects. Which segways into this tirade:

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Now there are a lot of reasons for it. One being that everything now needs an explanation. I'm quoting you on the Jokers Origin, "the comic world and the original film (which was, essentially, slightly corny), was absurd." Why is it absurd? It's F-I-C-T-I-O-N! I find there is a whole generation of readers that want every piece of fantasy, sci-fi to have some plausible explanation. It doesn't matter that the more realistic explanation is as much bullshit as anything else, but they want it to sound plausible. [/quote]

You take my use of the word "absurd" in negative connotations. The Joker to look so manufactured and perfect, as the result of a chemical explosion, in the comic and previous films, is absurd. That was the point of the previous film, as it was paralleling that type of storytelling from the source material.

In the world of comic books, and especially during the time of Batman, creators DREW the characters first, then connected the origin dots. Why does he look like this? Because he's a mutant! Why does he have these powers? He was in a nuclear fallout.

The Joker looking the way his does? Chemicals! That's absurd. Not bad, but it's an absurd and poor link FOR REALITY, which is what the current films are going for: Batman in the real world.

The current film is trying something else: Placing Batman, and his foes, in the real world. Origins will need to be rewritten for prosperity.

I'm not going to comment on your Star Wars rant, as I have no idea what you were trying to say.

[quote name='Moxio']Is there any proof this is real? I mean pretty much anyone can do a simple photomanip and call it real.[/QUOTE]
It's from a "viral" promo site for the movie:
http://ibelieveinharveydent.warnerbros.com
http://www.ibelieveinharveydenttoo.com

So, yeah, it's definitely real.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Seriously, I don't know how long Nolan and friends can keep this up with studio pressure mounting, but these clearly aren't 'Happy Meal' movies, by any means. If we can get three solid Batman films out of this crew, I will consider it a minor miracle, all things considered (but mainly WB and the cineplex audience).[/QUOTE]
Uh, Batman Begins made 200 million dollars in the US alone (350 million worldwide), dude. Nolan can do whatever the hell he wants.

The original Batman was awesome but doesn't stand up to time to me. Nicholson's Joker was cool than but a joke now. The pick of Ledger has me even more excited for the next Bat flick.

Uh, Batman Begins made 200 million dollars in the US alone (350 million worldwide), dude. Nolan can do whatever the hell he wants.

Uh, dude, it's no secret that Warner Bros. was at least mildly disappointed by Batman Begins' box office take. It was a 2-run double off the wall, not a 3-run homer. There was some legitimate speculation in its immediate wake that the studio was going to force compromises, causing once again what would be another backslide into Schumacher-level camp. So far, that doesn't seem to be the case. Fingers crossed.

I don't know...maybe Nolan convinced them that the series wouldn't really take off until the character being discussed in this thread appeared. As much as I like the look, as it's contiguous with Scarecrow's appearance in the previous film, I think it's going to put off a lot of people who reflexively associate the character with Nicholson's take. And that's just the appearance, not Ledger's performance, which I somehow think is going to be a little less 'charming', no?

[quote name='jbuck138']The original Batman was awesome but doesn't stand up to time to me. Nicholson's Joker was cool than but a joke now. The pick of Ledger has me even more excited for the next Bat flick.[/QUOTE]

For people with a similar view....just hope that Ledger doesn't turn this into an impression of Carrey's Riddler...ugh, the horror

[quote name='muncle']For people with a similar view....just hope that Ledger doesn't turn this into an impression of Carrey's Riddler...ugh, the horror[/QUOTE]
I think they learned that lesson already. ;)

I'll give Heath Ledger the benefit of the doubt for now, but that scarring...EUGH. That's going to give me nightmares. :vomit:

Wikipedia (Don't Hurt Me!) said:
Ledger has also commented that his performance will be partially inspired by the characters of Alex and his "droogs" from A Clockwork Orange.
that sounds awesome...

...although he will always be "Gay Cowboy #2" to me, even while im watching the movie...

[quote name='rodeojones903']Of course not, it was just a photoshop image. Its more telling of his mannerisms than anything else.[/quote]

Looking at it that way I still don't think it would work, but I don't think the first image in this thread is for real anyways. They did a good job keeping the Scarecrow a secret up till maybe a month before Batman Begins comes out so I don't think we'll get to see the final result till way later on.

[quote name='Korben']Looking at it that way I still don't think it would work, but I don't think the first image in this thread is for real anyways. They did a good job keeping the Scarecrow a secret up till maybe a month before Batman Begins comes out so I don't think we'll get to see the final result till way later on.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's from a "viral" promo site for the movie:

So, yeah, it's definitely real.[/QUOTE]
So...what part of "it's a Warner Brothers viral marketing campaign" leads you to believe that it's not real, Korben? :whistle2:s

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's from a "viral" promo site for the movie:

So, yeah, it's definitely real.

Uh, Batman Begins made 200 million dollars in the US alone (350 million worldwide), dude. Nolan can do whatever the hell he wants.[/QUOTE]

Unless this one tanks, which it could based on two factors alone:

1) Calling "The Dark Kight" with no mention of Batman in the title. People are too stupid to know that its a Batman flick.

2) Too dark, not enough "heart" -- people want a light-hearted romp, espceially kids.

My perdictions are for it to be awesome, while tanking all the same. Hopefully I'm wrong.

By the way, that Joker looks AWESOME! I especially loved that teaser site. Joker is a insane serial killer, this look and that site fit him perfectly.

bread's done
Back