First time buying stuff off craigslist

Skizye

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
I'm thinking about buying something off of craigslist soon and I am curious about something. Maybe this is a stupid question, since I don't really do online transactions (my dad does it for me because I don't have a credit card), but how secure is craigslist? Do you just basically have to trust the person to send you what you pay for or do they have some sort of security function that makes the person send it to you? =\

The thing with Craigslist is that its better to deal locally. Scams are common place when deals are shipped.

I tried selling my 360 last week and I got 5 emails with the same "Ill send a cashiers check for $50 more than you want. I have a shipper who will come by and pick up the item in question. Send me your address." message. fucked up thing is that when you cash that cashiers check or whatever, the bank holds you to it, not the scammer, so you get fucked in the end.

Deal locally.

Don't ship and don't have anything shipped to you, site is full of scammers. Everything should be done locally and you better look at the stuff before handing over money.

Yeah Craigslist is more suited for local transactions. If you are looking for online transactions you better off sticking to sites such as Ebay, Amazon, or Chasethechuckwagon which all have some sort of feedback system.

I can't speak for everywhere, but I've been using CL for local buying and selling. I've never run into a problem. One thing I'd recommend though, setup a place you're comfortable with to meet. Don't let them come to your home, it's just not a good idea.

A perfect meeting place would be your local public library. If electronics are involved, you can plug them in and test them out (although consoles may be tricky unless you bring a small TV with you).

House visits are common with CL, especially with testing out big/expensive equipment, but trust is definitely needed. I would always suggest at least two people be present from both parties in case a love knife enters the room.

Always meet in a well lit public place.
Make sure you know what to expect, i.e. ensure that you know what the item should include and look like and inspect properly.
Always pay in cash and expect the same when you sell. Don't get caught in these Fedex courier schemes.

If it is an electronic item, see if you can plug it in your car if you have an adapter to ensure it powers on.

Bottom line is trust, try to get a phone number or address if it is DOA when you get it home.

I like to meet people in alleys in Baltimore City when doing craigslist transactions. I usually wear a black hoodie too.

always do local, never ship or ask for stuff to be shipped to you, when you ask for someone to ship to you 9.5 times out of 10 will they think YOU are a scammer just because you are asking for an item to be shipped. I have had about 15 or so local craigslist transactions and they have all gone without a hitch.

Whenever I buy off craigslist, I offer to drive to the buyer OR meet in a public place, their choice.

If they live in an area I'm not familiar/comfortable with, I'll either make them meet me somewhere OR won't do deals over around $50.00

If I'm buying/selling something expensive like a Wii, I insist on going to their home to be able to see it operate before I make payment.

I've done at least a hundred transactions via craigslist - the worst that's happened is, with large game collections, one or two of the cases will be empty, but judging by the type of people I'm buying from, this is an oversight and not someone trying to rip me off (when they have 10-20 games, they may not check all the cases before selling)

Honestly, I've had a few deals on craigslist where I go meet someone alone at their house to buy their shit, and nothing has happened.

Just don't ship stuff out to people.

[quote name='darkslime']Honestly, I've had a few deals on craigslist where I go meet someone alone at their house to buy their shit, and nothing has happened.

Just don't ship stuff out to people.[/QUOTE]

Same, I haven't had any problems with getting stuff from a person's home. A few houses and apartments and I haven't been knifed or sodomized yet. ;)

bread's done
Back