Fix/Replace broken Lite, or upgrade to 3DS?

markenglert

CAGiversary!
3DS owners, especially those who bought at launch; how are you liking the system? My Lite just took a dump and I was thinking of getting one, if only to play the DS games I haven't had a chance to finish, yet. Is it worth upgrading, or should I just try to fix/replace my Lite?

Being a previous DS/DSL owner, I absolutely love the 3DS. Around now is a good time as ever to get one as there will be plenty of good titles by the time June rolls around and even more to look forward to from there on. Even if you choose not to get a game with the system, there's plenty of built-in games available to you (some of which I haven't gotten around to yet).

Street pass is quite cool and is one of the main reasons I've made it a habit to take my 3DS with me to most of the places I go to. Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition is a solid fighter especially if you're a fan of the series. It makes good use of the 3D feature focusing on depth but isn't over the top pop-out style if that's what you want (though some games will have that). Note that, how much more powerful the 3DS is, some other really cool apps like the sound app and 3D camera. Opinions may vary but I think it's worth the price tag.

Not worth fixing unless you know exactly how to fix it. Update and the 3DS will last you another 5 years

I agree about getting a 3DS, there will probably be no more support for the regular DS games anymore.

Also, if you're getting rid of your broken Lite, I'll take it off your hands. PM me if you're interested.

I was the biggest hater of the 3DS until I tried it out at the kiosk. I really like mine, the 3d really makes a difference for me. I would just upgrade unless you can catch a DSI or DS lite on the cheap, like 100 bucks or lower cheap.

I would upgrade or if you can, wait to see if they will be having a 3DS deal soon, the system isn't selling so there may be a bundle, get a free game or a price drop offer soon. I would expect there to be some type of deals regardless when Zelda comes out in June.

If you don't upgrade, I wouldn't pay more than $60 for a used DS Lite, ideally a lot less, more like $30-40. Eventually Nintendo will discontinue making DS games and although the DS has a huge huge library if you want to play current stuff especially when it comes out you should upgrade. Its kinda pointless to invest in a DSi or DS Lite now as the 3DS is backwards compatible with those system. You could have skipped the whole DS line and still get everything with the 3DS. But I personally would not have wanted to do that as I enjoyed the DS line of systems very much.

If you are a fan of Pokemon note that Pokemon games like Diamond, Pearl, Platinum and HG/SS, if you upgrade to 3DS or DSi you won't be able to trade in Pokemon from your GBA games, and there are a couple more games that won't work without a GBA Slot like guitar hero. For some people this might be a dealbreaker so I am just mentioning it here.

Thanks, everybody!

I'll most likely get a 3DS... gonna see if I can hold out for when Zelda comes out for a possible bundle deal, since I definitely want Zelda.

How is the battery life on the system? That's really the only thing that's holding me back right now. How long would you guys think Nintendo would release their improved system? There are a good amount of games I'm looking forward to this year (Blazblue, Zelda, Tales, and RE). I have a DSi right now and would probably sell it to put it toward a 3DS.

As for me I still can't find any games on the 3DS that I want and I can't even find an announced game that I want so I am waiting it out with this one.

The 3DS is a better purchase if you either have a broken DS system and that's it or if you have never owned a past DS system. For those of us who already own a working DS system its a little tougher to pay the $250 for one.

I think there will be a price drop or at least one bundle deal or get a free game deal before the next system comes out.

They also might have to discontinue the DSi, and they have not done that yet. I don't think they want to have 3 SKU's on the shelves as far as portables go. There are still some DS LIte's left on shelves too.

It usually takes about a year and a half to get a new model system out so I would expect about that.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']How is the battery life on the system? That's really the only thing that's holding me back right now. How long would you guys think Nintendo would release their improved system? There are a good amount of games I'm looking forward to this year (Blazblue, Zelda, Tales, and RE). I have a DSi right now and would probably sell it to put it toward a 3DS.[/QUOTE]

Quite honestly, it's terrible if you're using wifi and the 3d a lot. I would bet about a year and a half to two years before they release a slightly updated version.

I don't have one but if you are using DS games only the battery life should be about the same as the DSi (maybe 8 hours). But if you play 3DS games and wifi like the other guy said then you will only get the advertised 3-5 hours I think it is. In comparison the DS Lite gets 12-15 hours of battery life. If you are looking for battery life DS Lite is the clear winner with the DSi in close second.

bread's done
Back