Flat Caps, yay or nay?

Filler2001

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
For those of you that don't know, they are the newsboy/ascot/ivy caps made oftenly by Kangol (quick google search on flat cap would do good). They are personally a hat Ive been interested in buying (HS student right now), and I was wondering whether I would look bamf or feminine. I personally love what Ive seen so far of them, and I think a black one would look pretty sweet.

They're cool hats, but it depends on your hair / head shape.

They are pretty sweet. However, if you are a young white male, I would think twice about it. Not trying to be racist, but generally the only people that can pull those hats off are old men (wearing it brim forward, like taxi cab drivers) and black men (see also: Samuel L. Jackson). I honestly really think these hats are really nice. But living downtown Detroit, I would be ridiculed, at best, if I walked down the street wearing it. You may be a stronger man than I, in which case, go for it.

I actually ahve one i bought years ago and didn't really wear much. They fit pretty tight, really mess up your hair if you have to take it off at some point. Seem to look better on people with rounder heads.

See: The Duke

2390-Quiet_Man.jpg

[quote name='Filler2001']What if Im trying to be pulling the artsy geek chic look and live in 90% white rural MA?[/QUOTE]
Then you're the guy who's not really artsy or a geek trying to pull off the artsy geek chic look in rural MA.

Nobody should wear those hats. Not even an original Xbox controller. I would call anyone wearing one Captain Douche McDoucherton.

[quote name='TheHairyDrummer']They are pretty sweet. However, if you are a young white male, I would think twice about it. Not trying to be racist, but generally the only people that can pull those hats off are old men (wearing it brim forward, like taxi cab drivers) and black men (see also: Samuel L. Jackson). I honestly really think these hats are really nice. But living downtown Detroit, I would be ridiculed, at best, if I walked down the street wearing it. You may be a stronger man than I, in which case, go for it.[/QUOTE]

I like mine.

took me looking it up to figure out what the fuck a flat cap it. Its a Gatsby. I own quite a few myself. If you have the head shape, its a really nice hat. Kangols are....okay but not the type that you really wear out on the town, more of a laid back just hanging type hat. If your looking for a nice one, you can go the cheap route and get a handmade felt one but the real money is in the handmade wool ones.

Shit gets a bit pricey (though they don't hit the prices that say, a kick ass bowler goes for) if you want to drop the money but there are some quality ones in the sub $100 range

edit: oh and don't wear it like a douche. Wear it brim up front. You can bend it a tad but not too much unless you sell newspapers on the corner wearing knickers

Hell if your irish a scally is the best way to go I've been rocking mine out for over ten years now ever since I saw Mike Mccolgan w/ the dropkicks down at suffolk downs

We always called them driving caps, they are very hard to pull off without looking like a douche. As a general rule I'm going to say nay; Unless you are tooling around in your antique roadster.

Bamf? Are you a blue teleporting mutant or something?

The only people under 50 I know who wear these are guys who could see their hair thinning while still in high school and took to hat wearing as a tactic to avoid displaying their receding hairline.

[quote name='Filler2001']They are personally a hat Ive been interested in buying (HS student right now), and I was wondering whether I would look bamf or feminine. I personally love what Ive seen so far of them, and I think a black one would look pretty sweet.[/QUOTE]

Highschool + Flat Cap = Failschool

Do you like being made fun up, beaten up, called a $$$, turned down by even ugly girls?

[quote name='Filler2001']Im actually Greek xD, and my hair is pretty long atm. And also, no hat has ever stopped me from mackin :D[/QUOTE]

You're Greek? You need to wear one of these then:
2346-05021B.jpg

[quote name='h3llbring3r']You're Greek? You need to wear one of these then:
2346-05021B.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Still a douche, but more culturally appropriate.

[quote name='Filler2001']I might...[/QUOTE]

Ahh, apparently younger Greek guys are supposed to wear this one:

hatstore_2056_39480544

Who ate my spanakoptia & dolmades?

;)

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Who ate my spanakoptia & dolmades?[/I]
;)[/QUOTE]

sorry, that was me. thelo moussaka.

Abe Lincoln Stovepipe's or NOTHING.

These flat-caps make me think 2 things:
1) this guy is balding
2) this guy drives a delivery van for a living

[quote name='Filler2001']Balding at my age is possible? Commonly?[/QUOTE]

Sure. I've got two friends whose hair starting seriously thinning in college.

A great geek moment was back in the early 90s. We were at a tech trade show and came across a booth demonstrating their MPEG-1 encoder hardware. This was back when decent resolution encoding at anything remotely like full speed was really hard and expensive. It was impressive that the delay on this setup was only about 2:1, so you could stand in front of the camera, turn around, and look at the monitor in time to see yourself doing it. My friend did this and exclaimed, somewhat louder than he intended, "Holy shit, my bald spot is that big?"

He takes after his father. The three younger brothers all take after the mother with full heads of darker hair.

LOL I know several people on this site are wrestling fans. Anyone remember the black leather Harley Davidson flatcap that Triple H used to wear backwards like the one below?

Flat_cap_image.jpg

Well this was probably 3-4 years ago at least back when I still watched wrestling and I thought it looked cool as hell so I tracked one down online. They were hard to find and I think I paid like $40 for it. Anyway I get it in the mail put it on and look in the mirror and what a freakin douche nozzle..... I never wore it out of the house and sold it on Ebay. Maybe if I was like 6'5" and 275 of solid steroid muscle I would've wore it everywhere I went but I could never pull it off! :D

Does he wear one?

I kid, I kid, but I think the board has swayed my decision towards a no.........now that sailors hat, thats a different story

Wear one if you like it. Though it's obviously if you're looking for advice on what people think you just wanted one since you thought it was "cool."

bread's done
Back