Flip Video Camcorder - Yay or nay?

GetWhatYaGive

CAGiversary!
Hey guys,

I was just curious if anyone owned the Flip Video Camera Ultra Series II and had anything to say about it.

I've been reading reviews for it on Best Buy and Amazon and it seems like it's a quality camcorder.

My main use for this will be to take videos at various places/events and then put them on my Mac and get them on DVD in order to watch them at home on tv with the family. Would this be a suitable camera to do something like this?

Thanks for your input.

Well, likely you will need a lot of software to burn them to a proper DVD format, and the quality is probably iffy at TV resolution.

I have the Flip HD and love it. It's small, easy to use and takes great video. We've burned to DVD before using Pinnacle Studio and it looks great. The built in software is easy to use, but is very basic. We've used it to email video of the kids to family, post on Facebook, etc. and it works great.

The only complaints I have with the Flip are the quality of video when it's getting dark and the zoom features aren't great. Those are minor complaints overall though. I think I paid about $150 for it on sale in June of this year and I don't regret a penny of that.

For some reason my mother got us this for Christmas without any consultation. Since she doesn't research shit I'm surprised it's a halfway decent camcorder.

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']check out the kodak zi8.[/QUOTE]

I looked into this one but its inability to stand up without a tripod is kind of a deal breaker for me. Looks so much better than the flip too. I might just buckle and get a 'real' camcorder, but would prefer a tiny one (I need one for my brothers graduation in April). Do you have the kodak? Any impressions?

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I looked into this one but its inability to stand up without a tripod is kind of a deal breaker for me. Looks so much better than the flip too. I might just buckle and get a 'real' camcorder, but would prefer a tiny one (I need one for my brothers graduation in April). Do you have the kodak? Any impressions?[/QUOTE]

You can get a tripod for like 10-15 bucks....I mean, if you're springing the extra cash for a Zi8 is that amount REALLY a deal breaker?

It's worth it. Zi8 >>>> Flip

I assume he means on tables or whatever. Isn't that the benefit of these, is to just always carry it around and tape some random event. I'm sure he wouldn't want to always be carrying a tripod with him, that would defeat the benefit of it being small and portable.

[quote name='Thongsy']I assume he means on tables or whatever. Isn't that the benefit of these, is to just always carry it around and tape some random event. I'm sure he wouldn't want to always be carrying a tripod with him, that would defeat the benefit of it being small and portable.[/QUOTE]
I never even thought of that when I bought mine. I am loving it all the same. Its the best is class IMO.

Got my mother one (the non-HD one) for X-mas and she loves it.

Obviously they're not a substitute for a full camcorder etc., but fine for taking short little videos of the grandkids (in her case) and other random stuff like that.

bread's done
Back