Feedback
1 (100%)
This game was basically Jenova Chen's Thesis at USC and is quite soothing
it's constructed based on the flow theory
http://www.jenovachen.com/flowingames/flowtheory.htm
(basically adaptive difficulty)

test it out here

http://intihuatani.usc.edu/cloud/flowing/

I'd much prefer to see more independent newer games like this pop up than rehashes of old games.

REVIEWS:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/765/765822p1.html

PS3 Official Site
http://www.us.playstation.com/flOw/
Whee it's finally out! and Co-op Play confirmed!

It's almost that time, too bad it didnt' come out in 2006, Either way I guess it's pretty neat when your thesis game turns into a moneymaker.

Can someone exlpain this game to me? And this isn't some jackass question, I'm really curious. I messed around with it for about 15 minutes one day (the flash version) and just really had no idea what was going on. Is it meant to be in the same realm as Electroplankton as more of a toy than a game, or is there some actual game in there that I'm missing?

I hope it's $10 as well. but I have a feeling that it'l e 14.99 but who knows.

Also this game isn't quite like Electroplankton. Electroplankton Is more like mariopaint where you just mess around with it.
Flow is an actual game where there is progression. I'm not sure if you can beat the game, but the whole thesis is based on what the creator felt was a proper reward and difficulty adjustment system for facilitating enjoyable gameplay in a simple form.

[quote name='daroga']Can someone exlpain this game to me?[/quote]

I think the best way to describe it is tamagotchi/pacman, where you grow a creature by eating things and attacking other creatures.

and just in case that doesn't cover it; from the site:

How to Play?

What am I suppose to do?
  • Dive deep into the space eat and evolve
Control
  • Use Mouse Cursor to guide your creature
  • Hold on Left Mouse Button to accelerate
Tips
  • Red makes you dive down
  • Blue brings you back up
  • Filling up your body to grow longer
  • + makes your current body segment evolve
  • Move slowly to make smaller turns

Kotaku got a debug copy and some impressions

http://www.gametab.com/news/821420/

fl0w is a soothing and visually stunning downloadable game for the Playstation 3.

SCEA sent me a final build of the game for my debug and I spent a chunk of time last night playing through it and I quite enjoyed the experience. I haven't yet played the offline multiplayer experience, but plan to check that out later today. It supports up to four players, any of whom can drop in at any time.

When fl0w was first announced for the PS3, I immediately went out and tried the game on the PC. fl0w was originally a Master of Fine Arts thesis from Jenova Chen, a gradute from USC School of Cinematic Arts and one of the creator's behind another visually stunning game: Cloud.

While I enjoyed fl0w on the PC, I quickly became bored with it. It seemed too repetitious and didn't appear to have enough of a framework to keep things interesting.

In the PC version of the game you drift around a sea of lights and sound absorbing smaller entities and avoiding larger ones as you try to grow your organism in both size and complexity.

As you drift around with your mouse, you can absorb certain organisms to drift down a level and others to drift up a level. The whole experience was very Zen in a way, but again, it seemed to be missing something.

The PS3 version seems to have found that missing component.

The most noticeable difference with the game is that you control it with the Sixaxis' tilt controls. And I don't mean like steering your amoeba like a car. No, to play the game you sort of hold the controller flat and then tilt it in the direction you want the organism to move. So to move forward you tilt the controller away from you, to move sideways you tilt the controller on its side.

Initially, I found this form of control very off-putting, but within ten minutes I was liking it and within 20 I wasn't even thinking about it anymore. Soon after I was zipping around the colorful soup of sound and shapes, deftly avoiding some things and chasing down others.

Where in the PC game I never seemed to quite grasp any set of rules or methodology, in the PS3 version I quickly came to grasp what I could and couldn't eat and what things I could eat, but only carefully. I also learned that each type of thing I gobbled up played different music.

There were times that I felt someone had finally turned Electroplankton into a real game.

After playing as the original type of organism for a bit I fell through to a level that allowed me to select a second, different, type of growth. Again I played through the game, noticing some subtle and not so subtle differences in everything from movement, to what you could and couldn't eat, to the sights and sounds of the game.

After playing non-stop, literally, for about two hours and with five different creations I found myself swiming through a sea of credits. I had, if such a thing is possible in fl0w, beaten the game.

While I'm a bit disappointed that the game only took two hours to "beat" I recognize that the game really isn't something you play through and put down. It's more like a toy. Sure it has objectives and a way to succeed and fail, but fl0w is mostly about the trip not the destination.

fl0w is most certainly going to be one of those mega hits for the PS3. Brian Crecente

Nice screensaver like game, but flOw never did much for me on the PC. I wouldn't see why splitting download cost talk wouldn't be allowed on CAG dpatel.

Yea, I wasn't entirely sure. Since the whole purpose behind the '5 downloads' per account is a safety measure in case you lose your data, not to split the cost. Then again, its your money, so I guess it shouldn't matter.

Anyway, is anyone interested in possibly splitting it with me? PM me if you are.

[quote name='bstan21']How would you split the download? Just wondering how you do the transfer. I might be interested.[/QUOTE]

I've never done it, but I believe the number of downloads you get is assigned to your account. So, I guess one person would make a guest account (unless you want to share your main account), buy the game, then give someone else the name and password of that guest account so they can download it.

I think that's how it works. I have yet to buy anything from the PSN store, so I am not entirely sure.

The initial release of flOw won't include multiplayer, but a future update will allow online co-op play. A Sony representative told us that the studio had even worked up a competitive mode that turned out to be pretty fun, so it's possible that might be released someday as well. Ideally, Sony wants to update the game on a monthly basis. There are plans to track all kinds of stats from the game like how much you've eaten, how long you've played the game, and display the stats online.

they better not plan to fucking charge for the co-op though. I might actually wait until some co-op is released.

It was pretty confusing at first indeed with the tilt but it was pretty fun. Definetly worth it for the money. Also Co-op is indeed built in.

The game is as experimental as you can get and the pricing is good. I actually expected it to be at least $10. But like others have said, not much longevity.

Is this similiar to Geometry Wars for the 360? Isn't that game only $5? At least the 360 game with ONE free Arcade game...

I'm tempted for this one though.

[quote name='icruise']I can't help but think that if this game was on the DS or Wii, people would be calling it a visionary classic.[/quote]

QFT.

[quote name='icruise']I can't help but think that if this game was on the DS or Wii, people would be calling it a visionary classic.[/QUOTE]

true that haha.

But yeah the game doesn't have the score system in place that might make it as repayable for people who like geometry wars.

Music is fine and soothing and kind of goes with the gameplay as you eat stuff like in lumines.

I'd love to see this game be patched for online... where the psn users are basically thrown into an abyss, an more species of animals can been added. It's one thing to see your self evolve but its even more beautiful to see how others have evolved.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']agreed.[/quote]

also agree...checked out the original version and got a headache after a few minutes

what's the hubbub over this game?

[quote name='imascrub']also agree...checked out the original version and got a headache after a few minutes

what's the hubbub over this game?[/QUOTE]

it's a game and some people like it...... ZOMG must be real shocking for you! God forbid people have different opinions D:!

i have to admit, i was unimpressed and skeptical until i tried it on my laptop through the online demo and immediately became hooked. i urge everyone to just give it a try, it's really quite immersive and yet simple. hooked on it right now, but i'm curious to see exactly how far you can get before you beat the game if that is even possible.

Well, you sort of beat the game after you get all 6 creature forms, but the game itself doesn't really have any goals aside from making your creature look as impressive as possible, so I don't know if it's ever possible to truly beat it. More likely, you'll just get tired of it eventually.

But it is very impressive on a big screen TV. Much much more impressive than the web version, certainly.

The strange thing about this game is that it really isn't extremely exciting, however it somehow manages to be extremely addictive.

When you first start, the controls seem confusing and unintuitive, however after a couple of dives the tilt control becomes second nature and I quite honestly forgot I was using a controller to move my creature.

The game is short and only takes around 2-3 hours to complete (depending on if you want to clear every level of "water" of its creatures.

While I think some guys may be turned off by this game (especially people who are into achievements, points, kills), I have a feeling girls will really get a kick out of this game. When I handed my 2nd controller to my cousin (a girl who has never played anything outside of tetris), she wouldn't stop playing until we got all 6 creature forms.

We especially liked the parts where you could eat the creature that turns you completely red and enables you to attack not only the AI creatures, but each other as well. Chasing each other's critters and evolving your creature at the other's expense adds a slight competitive element to the game.

As far as visuals, the game definitely looks dazzling on my 52' HDTV. I'm sure people will find this strange since the game is made up of simple shapes and symbols, but somehow the colors combined with the simple lines and shapes evoke a mystifying sense of calm and beauty.

I would highly recommend a download for the curious, since the experience really is quite unique. If nothing else, hopefully our payments of $7.99 will encourage game developers to occassionally step away from the sometimes stagnant cliches of conventional games to produce gaming experiences that broaden our definition of what video gaming is and what it can be.

[quote name='icruise']I can't help but think that if this game was on the DS or Wii, people would be calling it a visionary classic.[/QUOTE]

There's no think involved, mon ami. It's the gall-darn TROOF. Quirkiness seems to be an immediate boost to the "cred" of a game, though it appears that it's contingent upon the system it's on. :lol:

[quote name='doubledown']Is this similiar to Geometry Wars for the 360? Isn't that game only $5? At least the 360 game with ONE free Arcade game...

I'm tempted for this one though.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's the same exact game as Geometry Wars. :whistle2:s

didn't you already ask this in another thread?

yep!

Anyone know the max players on co-op in this game? I've seen screens with up to 3 players so I assume you can have up to 4?

[quote name='Zoglog']it's a game and some people like it...... ZOMG must be real shocking for you! God forbid people have different opinions D:![/quote]

Dios mio that is shocking! God forbid indeed!

[quote name='Apossum']Yes, it's the same exact game as Geometry Wars. :whistle2:s

didn't you already ask this in another thread?

yep![/quote]
it is absolutely nothing like geometry wars! to see some videos of gameplay check out the online demo or search gamespot. it is a completely different form of gameplay. the game similar to geometry wars on ps3 would be the cash guns something downloadable game, which also rocks by the way.

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']it is absolutely nothing like geometry wars! to see some videos of gameplay check out the online demo or search gamespot. it is a completely different form of gameplay. the game similar to geometry wars on ps3 would be the cash guns something downloadable game, which also rocks by the way.[/quote]
You missed the sarcasm. ;) I think you're refering to Blast Factor as Cash Guns Chaos is a Smash TV clone.

bread's done
Back