Flower - PSN - Out Now - $9.99

[quote name='LiteOnMe']I paid $10 for VF5 and i played Flower more than it[/quote]

Sounds like you're from France then ;)

i guess the only thing im concerned about is the length, but based on the overwhemingly positive comments, it doesnt look like ill be disappointed, so imma bite on it. thx peeps

Sat down and finished the game Saturday but I still have a few trophies to get (might as well to extend the gameplay!).

I have a couple of questions about them though:

Dream -
I assume this means get every flower in the game? If so, does it remember which ones you got before and you only need to get new ones, or does it just keep your "best" run on each level? I haven't even replayed a level yet so I'm not sure how it looks.

Palette -
OK, I thought this one would become clear after playing the game but I just don't get it. How do you paint the ground with different colors??

Illumination -
Somehow I completely missed this one yet one of my kids got it. Is this only available on that one level (3rd or 4th I think)?

Pure - (this is the only one with what I consider to be a "real" spoiler so don't click if you haven't played the whole game)
I assume this means you can't get "burnt" on the second to last level. I didn't even realize that could happen and it was quite a shock when it did. I could see this one being somewhat tricky, though maybe not if you weren't also trying to get all the flowers.

Healthy Play -
Does this mean letting the game sit for 10 minutes in the room with the flower pots before going into a level? I was aware of the 3 minutes before warping back trophy but I didn't even know this one was there until I looked online just now.

Great game though. When I visit my Dad I'll have to gameshare my copy to him so he can try it out. He got a PS3 for blu-ray but hasn't really played any games. Interestingly enough, he did buy Fallout 3 but I don't think he played it more than an hour or so. This game is a probably a little more accessible ;).

[quote name='Gourd']This is going to be one of those art house games where you can't have a dissenting opinion.

I REGRET buying flOw, so I'm extremely wary of this game. There's generally a pattern of enthusiastic reviews and opinions that seems to go hand in hand with art house games that I get suckered into buying... Usually with sentiments like: "You're a troglodyte if you don't enjoy game X."[/quote]

I think that Flower is infinitely better than flOw. After completing Flower, I really feel I'd be missing out on something great if I passed on it.

I could definitely see someone's point of view that they think the game is too expensive or too short. For me, I found it a unique experience that was worth the $10. However, there is a good chance this game will be on sale in a few months.

[quote name='io']Sat down and finished the game Saturday but I still have a few trophies to get (might as well to extend the gameplay!).

I have a couple of questions about them though:

Dream -
I assume this means get every flower in the game? If so, does it remember which ones you got before and you only need to get new ones, or does it just keep your "best" run on each level? I haven't even replayed a level yet so I'm not sure how it looks.

Palette -
OK, I thought this one would become clear after playing the game but I just don't get it. How do you paint the ground with different colors??

Illumination -
Somehow I completely missed this one yet one of my kids got it. Is this only available on that one level (3rd or 4th I think)?

Pure - (this is the only one with what I consider to be a "real" spoiler so don't click if you haven't played the whole game)
I assume this means you can't get "burnt" on the second to last level. I didn't even realize that could happen and it was quite a shock when it did. I could see this one being somewhat tricky, though maybe not if you weren't also trying to get all the flowers.

Healthy Play -
Does this mean letting the game sit for 10 minutes in the room with the flower pots before going into a level? I was aware of the 3 minutes before warping back trophy but I didn't even know this one was there until I looked online just now.

Great game though. When I visit my Dad I'll have to gameshare my copy to him so he can try it out. He got a PS3 for blu-ray but hasn't really played any games. Interestingly enough, he did buy Fallout 3 but I don't think he played it more than an hour or so. This game is a probably a little more accessible ;).[/QUOTE]

io, try www.ps3trophies.org, should have the answers there.

[quote name='io']Dream -
[/quote]

You have to get all the hidden flowers, 3 for each level.

Palette -
It's something you can do at the end of (I think) the 2nd level. Play around.

Pure -
Yes you have to go through without getting burnt, but from what I've read, for some reason, you need to get the Dream trophy first, or you won't get this one. Not really sure why.

Healthy Play -
Yes.

Man, I just started playing this last weekend and it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Worth every cent. I love firing it up when I've got friends over. It's a wonderful showcase of the PS3's capabilities.

[quote name='Breakpoint']Will the game fly by itself for visual entertainment when no one is around?[/quote]

When no one is around? That's like asking if a tree falls in a forest...

Eh, my thoughts on the game is that everybody should in the very least play the game, from start to finish. I bought it, and though it may well be to early to decide whether or not it really is worth that $10 price tag, it is such a gorgeous game that I don't think any written or spoken description can ever do justice to it. Hell, even when you're not playing the game itself was such a beauty. I was really tempted just to "reminisce" on a level, slap my HDTV on a custom picture frame, then call that puppy "art", to be displayed along side a Monet or Gauguin piece.

I was really skeptical about the whole "the game evokes emotions" bit, but I would really have to say that it did tug on something in my chest when I was playing it.

It is fairly short, as in, you should be able to blaze through the game in a day's time (non-completionist, of course, but even then, maybe 2 days, tops). Also, the controls took some time to grow on me (not really into the whole sixaxis thing, but w/e), but it is still work a play through.

If Thatgamecompany ever releases Cloud for the PS3 (which I heard somewhere that it will be the next game in development), it will definitely by a zero-day purchase for me.

[quote name='Serpentor']^ what he meant is can the game play a demo from each pot just to give people some idea what's it all about.[/quote]

You could hit "pause" the game, or beat a level but don't quit to the main menu, and the screen will cycle through the various landmarks of the stage, essentially making the post-level stuff a beautiful screen saver.

Finished it, it's really neat. Not 10 bucks neat, but it's worth a play through. My GF is TRYING to play it right now. Hehe

I think the experience was extremely downsized for me due to hearing so many people say, "It's such an emotional experience!" so the whole time I am waiting for when is it gonna 'get me'. I was expecting to witness a baby getting born or something. Same thing with Rez HD, I constantly heard about the last level of REZ and how amazing it was. Ruins the experience. Still very much enjoyed it.

It's probably like Portal for a lot of people, I heard NOTHING about Portal when I got it and I finished it without ever hearing a word, so it was TRULY friggen amazing and unique. But I bet those hearing about how insane and intense portals ending was were probably not able to have such an impactful experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkNessBear']Finished it, it's really neat. Not 10 bucks neat, but it's worth a play through. My GF is TRYING to play it right now. Hehe

I think the experience was extremely downsized for me due to hearing so many people say, "It's such an emotional experience!" so the whole time I am waiting for when is it gonna 'get me'. I was expecting to witness a baby getting born or something. Same thing with Rez HD, I constantly heard about the last level of REZ and how amazing it was. Ruins the experience. Still very much enjoyed it.

It's probably like Portal for a lot of people, I heard NOTHING about Portal when I got it and I finished it without ever hearing a word, so it was TRULY friggen amazing and unique. But I bet those hearing about how insane and intense portals ending was were probably not able to have such an impactful experience.[/quote]

yeah it's one of those games that are better the less you hear about it. I think that's what killed it for me with portal. I really didn't like Portal at all, but it was a few months after everyone drooled about it.

I'm sitting at the computer while someone else is playing my PS3, and I just noticed Flower updated. It was either 1.01 or 1.10. Is this new?

Is/Did anyone have any issues using the Dual Shock 3 controller with Flower?

For some reason when I use it, my petal comes to me on the screen (i.e. away from the goal/task). Yet when I use my Sixaxis basic controller that came with my 80gb PS3, it works just fine.

I've played 3 levels and didn't notice any particular issues with the DS. Only problem is feeling like a Dramamine is needed for those sweeping IMAX-like flyovers.

Holding controller parallel with the floor is the starting position in which the flower cluster will fly straight, parallel to the ground. Tilt controller up with front of the controller angling toward the ceiling to fly up, and do the opposite to fly down. To turn left lower the left side of the controller and raise the right side, and do the opposite to turn right. The button for wind (I think it's X) is throttle.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but my wife and I finally picked up Flower and after spending time with it this weekend, I just have to profess my love for the game. My wife works a very demanding full-time job and is simultaneously pursuing her Masters degree in environmental and public policy at Ga. Tech, taking a full-time course load. So she's under a lot of stress, as you might imagine. I was looking for a game that would help her relax in her few moments of free time without becoming a distraction (Animal Crossing is an old favorite of ours, but it can be a bit of a time suck). I'd been meaning to pick up Flower since I got my PS3 last Christmas, but just hadn't gotten around to it. So glad I finally pulled the trigger. I let my wife play it first, and from the moment that first flower opened, she was immediately captivated. You could just see the stress melt away. It was great.

Definitely going to pick up FlOW soon and really looking forward to Journey after reading a bit about it. Are there any other games of this nature that you guys could recommend (on any platform)?

[quote name='Tybee']Definitely going to pick up FlOW soon and really looking forward to Journey after reading a bit about it. Are there any other games of this nature that you guys could recommend (on any platform)?[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I'd recommend flow. It seems like more of a proof of concept than an actual game. I got it for free, and didn't really enjoy playing it, even though I love flower.

[quote name='Brownjohn']I don't know if I'd recommend flow. It seems like more of a proof of concept than an actual game. I got it for free, and didn't really enjoy playing it, even though I love flower.[/QUOTE]

+1. Stick with Flower, and stay away from Flow.

flOw is not all that bad, it was a great little game I enjoyed with the kids... Flower is an emotional experience, it's video game poetry. Well, it can be stressful to play if you want to unlock the trophies :lol:

Thanks for the warning. Guess I'll look for a demo for flOw first.

When is Journey expected to drop? I think I saw that, within the last week or two, Thatgamecompany was recruiting people to playtest the game in their offices.

flOw is an awesome game.

Don't get me wrong. flower is a masterpiece but I spent more time with flOw just trying to evolve and defeat larger "creatures".

The one thing that flOw has over Flower is that it's a good pick-up-and-play game, as you can get through it in about 30 minutes and there are a number of different creatures that you can play with. Though I enjoyed Flower a lot more because of the story and visuals, I'd be a lot more likely to play flOw at any time than Flower (minus the upcoming Move patch).

I've tried playing flOw a couple of times now, and the controls just aren't intuitive. I'm constantly fighting them to get my creature to do what I want... whereas with Flower, it's much more refined and easy to learn.

bread's done
Back