Folding@Home in 1.6

It's any mix.

I think it should be a PS3 team.

I added my PC to this team though, but I'm not waiting for more than a week to get a WU completed. I'll leave the work to the PS3.

It's almost been on for just 24 hours now and it's not hot at all.
It's warm, and hot over the vent (I keep it vertcal), but feels safe.

From a quick google search, it looks like different work units can take wildly different times to complete, so it's not necessarily x number of hours per unit, even on the same machine.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']To sum it up, at Stanford they are using PS3's connected via a network to help with cancer and disease research since the cell processor is 10x faster than most processor in a mainstream PC.[/quote]
its 10x faster than an average $500 dell in number crunching; which is what Folding@Home needs. so its a good thing.

but as far as a general purpose CPU its about as fast as Pentium 4 2.8GHz from 4 years ago.

[quote name='Gshocker']It is interesting that they managed to get Sony to add this to the XMB. Guess this will be in an update for all. Should be interesting thing to try out and see what it looks like. I guess there is always that helping part of it as well... :)[/quote]
im sure sony jumped at the chance. they didnt have to develop it & they dont have to maintain it or host it. but it shines very well on the console by way of a noble cause. frankly its one of large reasons i even considered a PS3.

i have 2 old PCs which run Folding@Home & SETI@Home 24/7 right now and they eat my power bill. if i can beat that for 1/3 the wattage its worth it.

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']i know i'm gonna get flamed for this, but i don't care.

okay, sony's getting paid to put this home in the xmb, don't know where, but they're undoubtedly getting paid somewhere down the line. and i don't get a damn dime if i actually run the program. doesn't have to be cold hard cash, but what about credit at the playstation store or even a free game for every X amount of hours you contribute. not to mention, they expect me to put wear and tear on my ps3 and waste electricity just to run a program. then, let's assume hypothetically, some good comes of it. they're able to find a cure for some odd disease or create some sort of drug. does sony and stanford get paid for that also? well, fuck that. i'm not a tool. y shit like this happens all the time at my job and i'm not gonna get worked.[/quote] bet you'll think that was a pretty stupid statement when youre lying in the cancer ward and the drug that could have cured you is still in trials because they couldnt discover it early enough.

really, its losers like you who think the world revolves around them; and everyone owes them but they dont owe anyone shit that make society suck.

"It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it."
~Albert Einstein

The PS3 is now beating out all of the other platforms combined. In fact, it's got nearly twice as many TFLOPS as the other platforms combined.

folding1.jpg

[quote name='icruise']The PS3 is now beating out all of the other platforms combined. In fact, it's got nearly twice as many TFLOPS as the other platforms combined.

folding1.jpg
[/quote]
:lol:
i like how you try to turn it into a war.
every1 contributing is doing something positive, geez. :roll:

but yea the cell is very good at F@H, because of how it excels at stream processing.

I'm sad. I decided to change my name, since there are other Jude's out there (and it was lumping my stats with theirs), and I had completed 3, so I did... and now I've got 4, and am about an hour away from 5, but apparently my stats reset. :(

[quote name='icruise']So I downloaded the client for Windows on my PC and tried running it, but it's telling me that one work unit is going to take about 3 months to complete. On the PS3, it takes about 8 hours. Now I know that the PS3 is pretty fast at this, but I don't think the difference is quite *that* big. Is anyone else running it on a PC? How long is it taking you to do one work unit?[/QUOTE]

What kind of hardware do you have? Are you running the command line version or the inferior screen saver one?

Leave it on there even if it takes a while!

Some more info on this...

As someone mentioned later (could have been you even :) ) different work units take different amounts of time. Folding @ Home tries to give out work units based on the capabilities of your system. So a super fast Core 2 system might still take as long as a Pentium 3, but that's because it's getting harder units (that's all figured in to the score by the way, if you care about that).

Also as mentioned, the PS3 (and 360)'s CPU is a TERRIBLE general purpose CPU. At some very specific things it's faster than even a Core 2. But as an example, developers were pegging one of the 360's cores as being about like a 1.4Ghz Pentium 3 (and the 360's cores are pretty much the same thing as the PS3's main core).

Because of that, the PS3 version of Folding is only going to be running one type of work unit that it's able to run well. The PC versions of Folding process many different types of work units.

bread's done
Back