Fondest split screen/local multiplayer memory/game?

DrMunkee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
It doesn't have to be a memory, per say, but maybe a game.

While I have fantastic memories relating to Super Mario World, Time Crisis 2, Donkey Kong Country, Road Rash, and TMNT 2 : The Arcade Game, I would have to say my person favorite involves Battletanx: Global Assault for the N64.

My best friend (at the time) and I would, every weekend, play through the co-op campaign at least once a weekend, even if we had rented something new. The fun as hell gameplay, the awesome levels, and the large amount of different tanks led us to replay this gem until we perfected it. I would give up Xbox Live to re-experience this any day.

Myself and three of my friends staying up until 2-5am for two months straight after halo 2 was released.

Also, after figuring out that we could hook up a PS2 to a VCR and record our sessions, we played a bunch of Smuggler's Run and tried to come up with the craziest shit and then laugh about it later as we watched the video.

Mario Kart 64 - We would play that game almost everyday after middle-school. Back then it was rare for 1 kid to own 4 controllers so my friends would run home and bring over theirs. I actually enjoyed dieing, turing into a bomb-omb and chasing down my friends. No one ever got pissed, threw controllers, yelled or screamed. Just good ol' video game fun.

Mario Party - Not much to say, it's Mario Party. But like Mario Kart we all had a friendly competition going on. I don't know how many times I was winning only to lose all my Stars to chance during the last few rounds. But I would just laugh it off.

Secret of Mana - Still to this day my favorite SNES game of all time. My brother and I played this during the Summer of 94'. We'd go outside get dirty and play all day then at night play SoM. The perfect summer for a 12 year old.

Halo 1. Two TVs and 8 dudes crammed in a dorm room playing Halo via system link = hilarious and awesome. Epic fights on Blood Gulch and Sidewinder with lots of vehicle play. So many great memories and good times were had. Not to mention the other times playing multiplayer through the uni's network.

Goldeneye, SSB, and Super Mario Kart were all great as well playing with my cousins/siblings but Halo 1 just takes the cake for me.

Goldeneye 007 for N64. That game was revolutionary when it game out, so much fun. Still remember dual-wielding RCP90's! Also spent many a night in Iraq playing Halo 2 in the MWR until dawn. We worked nights so Halo time was 1 am to 7 am!

When I first got Mario Kart for SNES I was like "WTF is up with the bottom half taking up so much of the screen?" but it wasn't until I played with friends that I realized that I had gotten so used to it.

I have hated every split screen game I've ever played but this one was the only exception.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a blast doing co-op on EDF 2017 on the 360 (in fact, I'm not sure that the game is truly meant to be played any other way). Hoping the sequel is as good.

#1 for me is Worms, and before that, Scorched Earth for DOS.

Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Quake 2, Halo, and some others were all fun but there was nothing like a bunch of guys playing Worms.

[quote name='skyrender']When I first got Mario Kart for SNES I was like "WTF is up with the bottom half taking up so much of the screen?" but it wasn't until I played with friends that I realized that I had gotten so used to it.

I have hated every split screen game I've ever played but this one was the only exception.[/QUOTE]

Your my new best friend. I used to play this game for hours with friends. This was always my favorite Mario Kart (although the Wii version finally comes close).

Mario Kart for SNES. I dominated the other neighborhood kids like whoa. Rainbow Road belonged to me & Koopa Troopa.

Goldeneye multiplayer. Nuff said.

Also, WWF No Mercy for Nintendo 64 -- the joystick 'trick' for kicking out of literally any pin created some memorable ironman-style matches between my friends and I before choreographing amazing match endings to our approval.

Ah, also did DOOM on the PS1. In college, I had 2 TV's side-by-side, 2 PS1 systems, 2 copies of DOOM, and a link cable. Eventually we got tired of the soundtrack and turned the music down, cranked the SFX up, and put some heavy metal in the background.

I have officially logged around 1,000 hours on the PS1 version of DOOM, almost all of it co-op.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played a lot of Simpsons and TMNT acrade with my siblings as a kid. Played Gauntlet: Legends with friends in high school.

On home consoles, I remember sessions of the original Mario and Teris (when we first got the NES), Streets of Rage on the Genesis, Rampage World Tour on the N64, and Crystal Chronicles on the Gamecube. These days it's a mix of Halo, Guitar Hero, and Scott Pilgrim. :D

One of my favorite multiplayer memories didn't even involve me at the controller. I was at my friend's place where we were having an impromptu NFS Hot Pursuit II tourney. My friend and his little brother were locked in a neck-and-neck race on the coastal highway track.

Right at the very end, the little brother pulled some kind of stunt maneuver during a shortcut that resulted in launching his car back onto the main road...right on top of my friend's car. The little brother had landed perpendicularly on top of his older brother's hood and could only watch as his car was stuck with nothing to grip the tires. About 4 seconds later, they crossed the finish line together, one car on top of another.

The game declared little brother the winner. We went back to check the replay and sure enough, the side of little brother's car extended just past the nose of my friend's car. Little brother got a beatdown for that but laughed his head off the whole time.

Halo 1 four-player slipt-screen with all my school mates, bomberman on the megadrive, mario kart on the n64, tekken 3 on the playstation. online multiplayer's just not the same :(

Altered Beast on Genesis. Sort of an obscure game. But it was a lot of fun. You gathered power-ups to change into a different beast each level. It would be fun to see that again. And of course, Mortal Kombat. Brutal and with a sense of humor- loved it. I think recent fighting games have kind of taken that out of fighting, lol.

Also, of course, Goldeneye on N64. So fun! Setting mines, "sailing" crouches, knifing, slapping, oh, the hilarity, lol. I still laugh when I think of it. Loved Bomberman too.

Back in the PS1 days, I would setup 2 PS1's, and two 13" crt monitors on my kitchen table and my friends and I would play Armored Core (and it's sequels).

The TV's were back to back, so you sat across from your opponent and couldn't see his screen. Armored Core was one of the few PS1 games that supported link play.

Those were awesome times. We'd pull allnighters playing Armored Core. Two friends would play in the kitchen, while everyone else chilled in the living room and watched tv or played games on another system while they waited for their turn at AC.

Mortal Combat set the bar for me. Street Fighter and Streets of Rage were close trailers also. So simple yet so much fun.

bread's done
Back