For $125,000 per year would you......

I would be inclined to say NO!
I am independently wealthy and have a no show job.
I made my fortune in fertilizer.

[quote name='Indiana'][quote name='Darkpaul']But would there be a way to, as some suggested on the post, I think, to live cheaply and build your fortune? Work hard for awhile, then see if you can somehow live off interest (doubtful, with today's rates) or somehow make wise investments. All I'm sayin' is (I believe this is the age) 65 is a long time to work. Some of us may die before we retire, maybe shortly thereafter, maybe longer... rather depressing. I'd rather be on the beach, drinking pena coladas, playin all the games I want, playin with the lady(ies) (or men, if that's your deal) and just enjoy life.

...looking back, it seems unrealistic. But then again, how realistic is it to expect to do something you don't like most of your life for far less than you should and not complain?

FYI, i'm not actually this depressing or (perhaps macabre is a better term
for this subject), it just brings out the "best" in me, heh.[/quote]

65!! HA why 65? The government has set the year at 65 for people over 45 or something like that. But lets face it there will not be in social security for those of us in our 20s... The way I see it I am going to have to work till I die unless some other plan of action happens. Even if my wife and I pull down over 100k a year it will not cover the inflaction and the tax increases that will have to occur on the middle class soon![/quote]

You can work until you die. I'll be more than happy with my 401K that I'm paying 15% (12% pretax) of my income into, and then probably start up a Roth IRA within a couple of years (after my MBA and perhaps JD get paid off... as soon as I decided to go back and take classes along with working full time).

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Indiana'][quote name='Darkpaul']But would there be a way to, as some suggested on the post, I think, to live cheaply and build your fortune? Work hard for awhile, then see if you can somehow live off interest (doubtful, with today's rates) or somehow make wise investments. All I'm sayin' is (I believe this is the age) 65 is a long time to work. Some of us may die before we retire, maybe shortly thereafter, maybe longer... rather depressing. I'd rather be on the beach, drinking pena coladas, playin all the games I want, playin with the lady(ies) (or men, if that's your deal) and just enjoy life.

...looking back, it seems unrealistic. But then again, how realistic is it to expect to do something you don't like most of your life for far less than you should and not complain?

65!! HA why 65? The government has set the year at 65 for people over 45 or something like that. But lets face it there will not be in social security for those of us in our 20s... The way I see it I am going to have to work till I die unless some other plan of action happens. Even if my wife and I pull down over 100k a year it will not cover the inflaction and the tax increases that will have to occur on the middle class soon![/quote]

You can work until you die. I'll be more than happy with my 401K that I'm paying 15% (12% pretax) of my income into, and then probably start up a Roth IRA within a couple of years (after my MBA and perhaps JD get paid off... as soon as I decided to go back and take classes along with working full time).[/quote]

I'm curious: Are you planning to get an MBA and a J.D. while working full-time? And have you started this process or is this still in the planning stages?

I would do it for a few years, until I'm either burnt out or rich. Then find a relaxing job with something you like, and enjoy your retirement savings!

[quote name='vshekar'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Indiana'][quote name='Darkpaul']But would there be a way to, as some suggested on the post, I think, to live cheaply and build your fortune? Work hard for awhile, then see if you can somehow live off interest (doubtful, with today's rates) or somehow make wise investments. All I'm sayin' is (I believe this is the age) 65 is a long time to work. Some of us may die before we retire, maybe shortly thereafter, maybe longer... rather depressing. I'd rather be on the beach, drinking pena coladas, playin all the games I want, playin with the lady(ies) (or men, if that's your deal) and just enjoy life.

You can work until you die. I'll be more than happy with my 401K that I'm paying 15% (12% pretax) of my income into, and then probably start up a Roth IRA within a couple of years (after my MBA and perhaps JD get paid off... as soon as I decided to go back and take classes along with working full time).[/quote]

I'm curious: Are you planning to get an MBA and a J.D. while working full-time? And have you started this process or is this still in the planning stages?[/quote]

I have my full time job, and I'm not planning on leaving that anytime soon. I'm studying for the GMAT right now, and have plans to enroll for one or two MBA courses come fall semester... I'm not so sure about the J.D, since most places want you to be a full time first year student.)

I'm certainly going to get an MBA though... after talking to my counselor down on campus, it will take me about 3 or so years to finish up while still holding down my full time job.

I made close to that a couple of years ago. It took a lot out of me, but I would say it was only partially worth it. The money was nice, but I rarely had time to do a thing. Its cool if you really want the money and single.

I say do the job for a couple of years at least. I mean 125K is not something to take lightly. Me and my fiance will only make 40K total this year. Really think about this before you say no. Who knows maybe they will cut down on the hours you will need to work in the future.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='vshekar'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Indiana'][quote name='Darkpaul']But would there be a way to, as some suggested on the post, I think, to live cheaply and build your fortune? Work hard for awhile, then see if you can somehow live off interest (doubtful, with today's rates) or somehow make wise investments. All I'm sayin' is (I believe this is the age) 65 is a long time to work. Some of us may die before we retire, maybe shortly thereafter, maybe longer... rather depressing. I'd rather be on the beach, drinking pena coladas, playin all the games I want, playin with the lady(ies) (or men, if that's your deal) and just enjoy life.

I'm curious: Are you planning to get an MBA and a J.D. while working full-time? And have you started this process or is this still in the planning stages?[/quote]

I have my full time job, and I'm not planning on leaving that anytime soon. I'm studying for the GMAT right now, and have plans to enroll for one or two MBA courses come fall semester... I'm not so sure about the J.D, since most places want you to be a full time first year student.)

I'm certainly going to get an MBA though... after talking to my counselor down on campus, it will take me about 3 or so years to finish up while still holding down my full time job.[/quote]

This is something I was thinking about myself. But if you haven't taken the GMAT yet, how can you start an MBA program this fall? I thought most schools require all your application materials by February or so for the fall semester.

depends on the job. If it was something cool I would. And when I say something cool I dont mean testing video games even though that would be cool.

bread's done
Back