For 600 dollars what HD TV should I buy.

depends on what your looking for, for gaming I would say have at least a contrast ratio of 1,500:1 or higher stay away from generic brands.
here's the brands you want to choose

Best: Sony
Mitsubishi
Hitachi
Toshiba
Panasonic
Pioneer
Samsung

Decent: Sharp
LG
Philips

Bad: Polaroid
Element
Westinghouse
Vizio
Olevia
Sceptre
Sanyo
Viore
Dell
HP

[quote name='CaoPi']depends on what your looking for, for gaming I would say have at least a contrast ratio of 1,500:1 or higher stay away from generic brands.

Mitsubishi
Hitachi
Toshiba
Panasonic
Pioneer
Samsung

LG
Philips

Element
Westinghouse
Vizio
Olevia
Sceptre
Sanyo
Viore
Dell
HP[/QUOTE]

What exactly is your source for the best/worst brands?

[quote name='Vinny']What exactly is your source for the best/worst brands?[/quote]

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/hdtv_articles.cfm

Also I remember during the holiday season last year at Walmart, I saw 2 returned Vizios and 1 discounted on the sales floor (returned one), either they weren't working or people didn't like it. I'm heard 1 customer complaining about the quality, I wouldn't go with Vizio personally.

[quote name='CaoPi']http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/hdtv_articles.cfm

Also I remember during the holiday season last year at Walmart, I saw 2 returned Vizios and 1 discounted on the sales floor (returned one), either they weren't working or people didn't like it. I'm heard 1 customer complaining about the quality, I wouldn't go with Vizio personally.[/QUOTE]

Dude that can't be your source. I just checked out 3 Vizio reviews from this year and they all got rated 4 to a 4.5/5.

I sell TV's. Vizio's are by no means bad TV's. They are great for the price. My only 2 con's on them are the Black Levels and the Clarity. I wouldn't buy a Vizio for myself. I'd most likely save up a couple of extra bucks and go with a Sammy or Sony. Which I did. Got a New 40" Sammy myself.:D

I'm just surprised that Sharp is only considered decent... I did a lot of research for my Sharp and the only brand I found was better in picture quality (for LCDs) was Sony and Samsung. Sharp was the 2nd most reliable brand according to PC World (don't ask why they had HDTV... I don't know either). And this was only a year ago- I doubt they're just decent all of a sudden.

And I also have to agree with the previous poster on Vizios... since they basically use the same components that name brand companies used a year ago.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm just surprised that Sharp is only considered decent... I did a lot of research for my Sharp and the only brand I found was better in picture quality (for LCDs) was Sony and Samsung. Sharp was the 2nd most reliable brand according to PC World (don't ask why they had HDTV... I don't know either). And this was only a year ago- I doubt they're just decent all of a sudden.

And I also have to agree with the previous poster on Vizios... since they basically use the same components that name brand companies used a year ago.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on Sharp's. Very Very Nice TV's and they get solid ratings. IMO they are right behind Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic LCD's.

I'd rate them

Samsung
Sony
Sharp
Toshiba

Don't forget to add Maxent to the the bottom end of that list. My first HDTV was a Maxent and while I still have it, you can't game or watch sports on it for more than an hour without the lines starting to burn in. It's a decent bedroom TV but don't even bother with it for your main set up.

We replaced that with a Phillips and I've been very very pleased. The only thing I would wish for would be more inputs. It only has one HDMI and one component hookup so I ended up having to hook up the 360 by VGA.

That being said, I'm about ready to replace it with a 40"-46" Samsung as soon as I get my credit cards paid off and money saved for a down payment on a house.

[quote name='Atomslayer']How about this TV?
Samsung LN32A450 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV[/QUOTE]

That would probably be my first choice for a TV that size and if I did not mind having 720p. I opted for the LN32A550 for the 1080P and I've been happy with it.
My only gripe is that standard definition is a bit worse than I had imagined but still overall a great TV.

[quote name='Atomslayer']How about this TV?
Samsung LN32A450 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV[/quote]
That's a good TV. At that size there is absolutely no reason to go for 1080p over 720p, you will not notice a difference.

Any of these are also TVs that have gotten good ratings:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228830718&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/quot-Vizio-VO...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228830786&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-K...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228830811&sr=1-1#

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32A...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228830844&sr=1-1#

The Sony and the Samsung (I posted a link to the TV you were looking at) are probably the best out of that bunch. The Vizio is highly rated by lots of places as the best bang for your buck TV, but if it's not any cheaper than better-known brands (which is the case here) then I would pick something else.

[quote name='mwc547']how can anyone of you put sony's at the top of the list? they buy all their panels, none are actually sonys[/QUOTE]

Most companies do... I know Sharp produces their own panels and I'm pretty sure LG sells their panels to lots of companies.

According to this article, Sony normally uses Samsung panels.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/23/your-next-sony-lcd-tv-may-actually-be-a-sharp/

But there's more to these TVs than just the panels, there's lots of other crap inside.

I have no problems with my Vizio 32 inch Plasma once I went to HDMI. It has some "lines" in component but I hardly use my PS2 and my Wii is on my "old" TV. If my Vizio lasts me 5 years I would say get a Vizio, but I'll check back with you in four years ;)

Polaroids are made with Samsung panels, cheaper Samsung panels, but Samsung nonetheless.

I own a 42" LCD 1080p Polaroid TV and it looks great for the price I paid (less than $700).

[quote name='CaoPi']depends on what your looking for, for gaming I would say have at least a contrast ratio of 1,500:1 or higher stay away from generic brands.

Mitsubishi
Hitachi
Toshiba
Panasonic
Pioneer
Samsung

LG
Philips

Element
Westinghouse
Vizio
Olevia
Sceptre
Sanyo
Viore
Dell
HP[/QUOTE]

This list is actually partially backwards. PC World just did a big article on best and worst HD tvs.

Mitsubishi, Hitachi, Toshiba all scored the WORST. I can even testify on Toshibas being garbage now. My brother went through 3 of them because they have major problems and keep breaking. Another friend had the same problems. And according to PC World obviously those are common with Toshibas having major problems and not being reliable. Mitsubishi scored the worst or them all.

Vizios are great for video games and alright for HD tv/movies. Not the best tho. If you want it to watch HD football on I would try something else as the Vizios tend to blur around the players. Also one of the more reliable brands.

Sony and LG seem to be the most reliable and have the least amount of problems with them. LGs look damn nice as well. I also thought that the Samsungs looked pretty good too.

The best bet though is to find a reliable brand (So NOT Toshiba!!) and check them out with your own eyes. Preferably thru people you know who owns one and not the floor models in stores as their settings are always screwy, and you dont know how they are connected etc etc.

Edit: Here is a link to the PC World thing:

http://pcworld.about.com/od/hdtv1/Sony-HDTVs-Rated-Most-Reliable.htm

Why take PC World's word for it when you can go to any electronics store and ask people that actually sell TVs? All of the TV guys at my store prefer Samsung, Sony, and Toshiba. They'll all tell you that LG sucks donkey nuts and gives people a weird tint. I heard that at Best Buy also. No one likes LG.

BenQ v2400w

It's smaller (22") but it's got great res and it takes the input as it is (so it doesn't diminish quality automatically as some monitors tend to do)'

Did I forget to mention it's tagged between $400 and $450?

Last edited by a moderator:
You've totally just sold me on the BenQ (after I read the specs on line and such). It's exactly what I've been looking for.

bread's done
Back