For all you Gamestop haters...

daikaiju

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Everyday on here I read a new post where someone complains about their local Gamestop. Now allow me to be clear, I'm not on the Gamestop payroll, nor am I banging any GS employees etc. etc....so allow me to say this. People, if your local Gamestop sucks...ever think maybe it's where it's located? Or maybe managed by a tool? I'm really beginning to feel sorry for all you guys with crappy Gamestops because in all honesty, my local one is great. Fantastic selection of games - hell, I could go buy a shiny Rez today if I wanted. On top of it, I've never bought a crap used game from there - always in great shape, with manuals and everything. Their prices are fair for a chain store, and there aren't any assmasters working the counter there! All in all a winning combination in my book. My local EB on the other hand is a complete disaster...I mean the employees are nice enough, but it like a tornado went through the place...games everywhere...so just remember - it might not be the store, just YOUR store.

Yeah, I have a pretty good GS too, although my EB is shitty as they come. The GS is always telling me about offers, etc. that I may miss. I've been going there for like 5 years and they kind of know me, but it's still a good GS IMHO.

I'm a big fan of my local gamestop, they know me whan i walk in, and everynow and then they give me some free extra crap when I buy game, like leftover preorder bonus' from other games

viva la gamestop!

I have two Gamestops and two EBgames within a few miles of me.. one of the Gamestop's is excellent, one of the EBgames is excellent and one of each is filled with asshats. It's not the company, its the manager and the employees.

I do my best to make sure my GS is awesome, but management (or lack there-of) is making it harder and harder for me to care about the job. Just ask Reality's Fringe about how messed up this job can be. If the employees there are dicks, don't take it to heart. They very well may be in the situation RF was in a few months ago. It ain't fun.

Then again maybe the employees are total dicks and GS has no influence on that. Like he said, it varies from store to store.

i have 2 local gamestops and i love them both, great selection, very nice people, however one of the local eb's is owned by an asshat

Its funny you say to us ever think its YOUR local gamestops but dont consider it yourself.

Employees are a store to store basis, and if anything Gamestop is more likly to have more gamers employeed since on thier aps they ask about your gaming history/knowledge. However thats where it ends.

Gamestop as a whole has looser policies on the quality of games they accept and prices are generally not choosen by local stores but the chain as a whole. As a result gamestop does usually lag behind EB in these 2 areas. Even if you look online at the two sites and compare you see Gamestop generally has worse deals and prices and their games come in worse condition. They do have 2 things going for em 1. You can back order some hard to find games and they frequently have games EB doesnt. 2. They have a better system for returns.

Wow, maybe I'm just always coming across the negative Gamestop threads because I never expected the bulk of you to be agreeing with me! Yes, my Gamestop employees know me, hell - they even look out for me a little bit if they know something I'm after. I score up on leftover promo discs etc etc - all in all my GS gets big thumbs up - glad to hear more of you have good luck too!

[quote name='daikaiju']Wow, maybe I'm just always coming across the negative Gamestop threads because I never expected the bulk of you to be agreeing with me! Yes, my Gamestop employees know me, hell - they even look out for me a little bit if they know something I'm after. I score up on leftover promo discs etc etc - all in all my GS gets big thumbs up - glad to hear more of you have good luck too![/quote]

Im the same at both local gamestop and ebgames. Or atleast I was till about a year ago when I learnt of the EBgames.com deals and stopped buying offline. Still go in now and then to search through the games in store case there is a rare find like Rez or Gitaroo Man and everytime they reconize me......not sure if this is a good thing or a sad thing.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Its funny you say to us ever think its YOUR local gamestops but dont consider it yourself.

[/quote]

Actually - I do consider it. In fact if you re-read my OP, I think it's fairly clear that I do. Trust me, I've been to my fair share of Gamestops over the years - all over the place - in many states. My post was to say that I feel bad for people who think it's the CHAIN in general because it so obviously to me is on a store to store basis. Sure, I've been in the crap GS, but I sure wouldn't count mine in that list. That's all really.

Well as I said its a store to store basis on employees and selection but not game quality and prices. Iv been to many gamestops in several states and cities and to their site many times and their pricing 9/10 is higher and again when Iv bought from them(many times in many places)game quality has been lower.

my gamestop is awesome because it's literally almost all female gamer employees. it's like a damn hooters of gaming stores. you won't believe how crowded it can be in there with nerdy male gamers who don't have a problem with pre-ordering every other game coming out.

sucks when you have a real question about gaming though. seems like all they know is "mario is the awesomest in all of gaming" and "my boyfriend says halo 2 is gonna be the best game ever, so you better pre-order" and that any piece of crap third party controller/hardware is worth buying because it looks "cute" (i.e. those ugly ps2 "retro nes" controllers made by madcatz or something).

[quote name='kristianator']my gamestop is awesome because it's literally almost all female gamer employees. it's like a damn hooters of gaming stores. [/quote]

Hmmmm...maybe I SHOULD be banging a Gamestop employee :twisted:

My local GS is pretty good, so I dont mind going there. I never have any stories about bad gamestops or EBs to share online. :)
BTW daikaiju, nice avatar. Titanosaurus rocks! Its too bad he is not going to be in Final Wars.

My local GS is so-so, but they're usually pretty good about giving me promotional displays and stuff, assuming nobody's already got dibs on the loot. My BB isn't too bad, either. They've even given up (mostly) on trying to sell me the service plan or whatever it is.

Local GS=great service, but carries mostly mainstream games
Local EB=HORRIBLE sales people but great selection of used games
Local BB=THE SHIITE! great workers who know what they're selling and they rarely ask if I need a warranty.

I work at a GS and have visited most of the other GS in my district and surrounding area, mainly to search for used DVDs(i'm a shaq-fuing addict). There is a HUGE discrepancy in the quality of stores, and I find that it start with the manager down. My manager is great, great with customers with the employees, hires the right people. We steal customers from our other stores, and competitors, even if we are further away, because we're not assholesnd we know our shit. We don't need to be, I just want you to be happy with your game.

The reason why EB turns a lot of stuff away is because their return policy is shit. GS lets you pick up a used game and return it for full value back within a week if you dont like it. EB has that HUGE sticker on the side...GS does not. If you don't like the way a copy looks, don't buy it. They should find the best looking one for you.

Thanks for pointing that out. These stores are only as good as the employees working at em. The EB I work at is always #1 in the district at the end of the month, simply because our staff rules. We don't try to screw customers, and we know our games. On the other hand, I always hear customers complaining about the staff in the other EB in my town. They finish somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Couple months ago, I had to help out a store 30 minutes away because they were short on staff. My first day there, I was shocked to see the store's employees reading magazines behind the counter instead of helping customers. These guys could tell you every EB promotion in the book, but they couldn't tell you the differences between ESPN 2k5 and Madden 2005.

So yea, the staff makes the store. Don't hate a company simply because you had 1 bad store experience.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']All of my stores are awesome, including both EB and GS, and a BB. I seem to be lucky with that.[/quote]

Same here.

Guys I live near 4 GS stores, and GS corporate HQ, so believe me when I say this, if you have a bad GS it is all due to the people. I worked at GS for 4 months ,it was cool but I would not consider it a real job unless you are management. I was fortunate enough to be present at the birth of the first stores in my area and all the people they hired knew their stuff. Lately, though it's been changing drastically and it feels different.

kristianator Posted: August 31, 2004, 7:54 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my gamestop is awesome because it's literally almost all female gamer employees. it's like a damn hooters of gaming stores. you won't believe how crowded it can be in there with nerdy male gamers who don't have a problem with pre-ordering every other game coming out.

sucks when you have a real question about gaming though. seems like all they know is "mario is the awesomest in all of gaming" and "my boyfriend says halo 2 is gonna be the best game ever, so you better pre-order" and that any piece of crap third party controller/hardware is worth buying because it looks "cute" (i.e. those ugly ps2 "retro nes" controllers made by madcatz or something).

The EB near me sounds like your Gamestop. Two cute girls work there, but when you ask for a game like Ikaruga or Onimusha, they ask you to spell it. I know one of them likes DDR and Final Fantasy.

HSaabedra Posted: September 2, 2004, 5:37 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys I live near 4 GS stores, and GS corporate HQ, so believe me when I say this, if you have a bad GS it is all due to the people. I worked at GS for 4 months ,it was cool but I would not consider it a real job unless you are management. I was fortunate enough to be present at the birth of the first stores in my area and all the people they hired knew their stuff. Lately, though it's been changing drastically and it feels different.

I've always wondered, do you get discounts or anything?

Mine is good. It's 5 minutes down the road, the employees are really, really nice there, and they've got a great selection of games. I love gamestop.

i work at a gs and lots of people like my store. my manager is great and he works hard. on the other hand, there is another one that is located like 45 min. away from mine that the manager is lazy (and when i say lazy,i mean he does nothing) and makes his employees do everything. so his employees can get really grumpy from time to time. so most of the time it is just going to depend on the managers (including District and Regional ones).

bread's done
Back