For all you PS3 Mustang wanters - amazon has it...for $88!

[quote name='TheHelix']Pretty good deal, but I'm more interested in a Wireless keyboard deal.[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

This is a guitar controller - for other clueless folk like me. (Is it a Mustang with a in-dash PS3? A PS3 with racing stripes and a pony badge?)

[quote name='Nohbdy']When's that damn Stratocaster going to be affordable?[/QUOTE]

Not for years probably, unlike plastic instruments, the real ones don't tend to go down in price quickly, if even at all.

If the 360 version ever goes on sale, I'm tempted to pick it up since the Squier can't play non-Pro songs. Come on, Amazon! Let me give you my money. :)

[quote name='luxarific']If the 360 version ever goes on sale, I'm tempted to pick it up since the Squier can't play non-Pro songs. Come on, Amazon! Let me give you my money. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for this as well. I was hoping that the xbox one was only a few bucks more than the ps3 version.

[quote name='Nohbdy']When's that damn Stratocaster going to be affordable?[/QUOTE]

It's $250 at BB, I'd say that's not bad for a real guitar. I think BB has exclusive rights for a while and then when other places sell it I'm sure you'll find it cheaper.

[quote name='JKSonic']It's $250 at BB, I'd say that's not bad for a real guitar. I think BB has exclusive rights for a while and then when other places sell it I'm sure you'll find it cheaper.[/QUOTE]

I paid 279 for wednesday at the local best buy, then got the midi adapter from the madcatz store for 35.99 with free shipping. Since the store here only had one, and checking local store finders for others come up with a limited supply, I wouldn't think it'd be on sale for a long time.

Don't forget guys, if you get the squier go to the post office and get one of the movers packets with the 10% off coupon. I used it on mine and got it for 270 out the door after tax which is cheaper than it is before tax.

[quote name='confoosious']so... is it worth it? (the squier)[/QUOTE]

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, not only am I still waiting on my midi adapter, but I broke my arm a month ago and the md said i can't play it for a month

From what I hear though the mustang is beyond horrible, bad sound and missed notes.

From the squire I got, it is very well made and very nice looking, the neck is hollow though (for the touch sensitive electronics i suppose) and this causes tonation quite a bit, and makes it a bit tricky to tune. I know people with both and they said the mustang is crap and the squire blows it out of the water by a long shot, seriously, I would just go with the squire, that way if you do like it and decide to actually take lessons you ca also use it as a real guitar. Plus hitting fret buttons is not even remotely the same as hitting the frets on actual strings.

Out of the people I have seen talk about it I have not heard 1 good thing about the mustang, on the flip side I have not heard very much bad about the squire. I watched a video review by a real musician and he said aside from the weight because of the aformentioned hollow neck and the tonation that it is a wonderful learning tool, and it really is playing the song 1 for 1 in the game.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the mustang is made/constructed by Mad Katz, and we all know how hit or miss their peripherals can be. The Squire is actually made and manufactured by Fender. I'm going to say the fender is going to have way better construction.
Just my opinion

[quote name='dmdragon']Don't forget guys, if you get the squier go to the post office and get one of the movers packets with the 10% off coupon. I used it on mine and got it for 270 out the door after tax which is cheaper than it is before tax.[/QUOTE]

I did this, but the coupon specifically says not for use on Squier musical instruments and also (although for this latter I'll have to check again) not for game controllers. Did they just not check when you used it?

[quote name='luxarific']I did this, but the coupon specifically says not for use on Squier musical instruments and also (although for this latter I'll have to check again) not for game controllers. Did they just not check when you used it?[/QUOTE]

/shrug. Coupon I had specfically stated that it worked on musical instruments/video games/accessories.

I prefix this by I never played with either pro guitar. This is what a few friends that have told me. They say it is very hard to pick up and learn and is just not fun to play. All of them haven't touched them for a while now (their pro scores haven't moved in for a while).

[quote name='lordopus99']I prefix this by I never played with either pro guitar. This is what a few friends that have told me. They say it is very hard to pick up and learn and is just not fun to play. All of them haven't touched them for a while now (their pro scores haven't moved in for a while).[/QUOTE]

If you're not willing to go through the lessons and practice some then you probably shouldn't get it.

Jeff

[quote name='jedijeff']If you're not willing to go through the lessons and practice some then you probably shouldn't get it.

Jeff[/QUOTE]

This

This is going to take practice, this isn't going to be easy like picking up a controller with 5 colored buttons. They probably hate it because it takes work to do well in it. Everyone I've spoken to and seen in reviews who actually try to use it and practice LOVE IT.

The mustang feels like a piece of crappy plastic and not like a real guitar exactly, but it was actually more accurate then the squire and of course it's significantly cheaper. But the "strings" are DELICATE and I don't know where you get replacements.

The squire, while it is technically a real guitar, it's a really bad guitar. Cheap wood, one pickup (pickups are magnets that affect how a guitar sounds, most guitars have two or three), plastic fretboard (I guess that's for the Rock Band tech but for a real guitar, that's flat out inexcusable), missing a multitude of other features one might expect from a real guitar (whammy bar, tone nob, not full sized, any adjustment/customization is near impossible), and it's really expensive (relative to game peripherals/crappy guitars).

Oh and you have to strum very hard for the notes to register with the game, which makes it artificially hard on harder songs and generally annoying for everything else. But of course it feels much better to play it than the mustang, but for the price it might not be worth it.

Basically, if you're interested in playing Rock Band 3 pro mode, get the mustang. Both guitars have their pros and cons for rock band, but the price difference is more than enough to recommend the mustang. If you like that enough to get the real thing, you can get a guitar superior to the squire for cheaper without breaking a sweat, especially if you buy used.

[quote name='dmdragon']/shrug. Coupon I had specfically stated that it worked on musical instruments/video games/accessories.[/QUOTE]

Well, I can't believe they've created two different versions of this coupon for the mover's kit. I'll give it a try when I pick the Squier up at Best Buy, but I'm not holding my breath.

A very in-depth review of the Squier by an actual guitarist, for people who may be interested.

Thanks for the post OP my trigger finger is itching on this deal.

Does anyone have experience with this? I used to play bass because I have fairly large fingers and I always found guitar strings difficult. Is this the guitar that can be used as a midi controller as well?

I just bought the Squier yesterday.

Compared to normal guitars, it feels really cheap. The strings vibrate, frets are plastic/not metal, and the front part of the neck is a plastic fake wood. Basically it sounds horrible as a stand alone guitar -- but it works. Now compared to your standard GH/RB plastic instrument, this thing is built extremely well. It has real weight, looks damn close to a regular guitar, is full size, and seems durable enough. I'm still waiting on the midi-pro adapter to come in the mail, so I cannot say anything else on the guitar.

As a disclaimer, I've only really owned a Fender Mexi-strat and a Gibson SG, so sub-$300 guitars could just have a crappy build quality.
[quote name='Rosco906']The mustang feels like a piece of crappy plastic and not like a real guitar exactly, but it was actually more accurate then the squire and of course it's significantly cheaper. But the "strings" are DELICATE and I don't know where you get replacements.

The squire, while it is technically a real guitar, it's a really bad guitar. Cheap wood, one pickup (pickups are magnets that affect how a guitar sounds, most guitars have two or three), plastic fretboard (I guess that's for the Rock Band tech but for a real guitar, that's flat out inexcusable), missing a multitude of other features one might expect from a real guitar (whammy bar, tone nob, not full sized, any adjustment/customization is near impossible), and it's really expensive (relative to game peripherals/crappy guitars).

Oh and you have to strum very hard for the notes to register with the game, which makes it artificially hard on harder songs and generally annoying for everything else. But of course it feels much better to play it than the mustang, but for the price it might not be worth it.

Basically, if you're interested in playing Rock Band 3 pro mode, get the mustang. Both guitars have their pros and cons for rock band, but the price difference is more than enough to recommend the mustang. If you like that enough to get the real thing, you can get a guitar superior to the squire for cheaper without breaking a sweat, especially if you buy used.[/QUOTE]
I guess he said it better. I'd still disagree with the conclusion of getting the Mustang though. One is a toy mimicking a real instrument, and one is a real instrument of questionable build quality. If your goal is to play guitar, I do not see how that could ever be done with the mustang. Well, I guess you can learn some muscle memory, but pushing a button down is not the same as pushing a string.

EDIT: Not full size? I held it up next to my real guitars, after thinking it was slightly smaller, and found it's the same exact size.

Yes, it has a MIDI connector on it and supports MIDI output. I haven't played with the MIDI features, but I did find this link to the MIDI manual for the guitar. Note that this is a draft version...I haven't been able to find a final version of this doc yet: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7420/rb3mustangpromidimanual.pdf

Not sure how well it would work for bass, especially since it sounds like the strings can break and options for replacing them are not clear. Breaking strings might be even more likely if you are playing it like a bass.

[quote name='Rosco906']The mustang feels like a piece of crappy plastic and not like a real guitar exactly, but it was actually more accurate then the squire and of course it's significantly cheaper. But the "strings" are DELICATE and I don't know where you get replacements.

Basically, if you're interested in playing Rock Band 3 pro mode, get the mustang. Both guitars have their pros and cons for rock band, but the price difference is more than enough to recommend the mustang. If you like that enough to get the real thing, you can get a guitar superior to the squire for cheaper without breaking a sweat, especially if you buy used.[/QUOTE]

I would take yours back, first off it IS full sized so don't spread that around. I have it matched up with my other guitar and they are the same size. You are the only one I have seen that has issues with the strumming, either you are doing it wrong or you got a bad one. It is the EXACT same as a regular squire, only difference is the ps3/360 buttons and the touch sensitive fret board, otherwise it is what you would get from a real squire. The mustang from every review i have read is like the red headed step child of the guitars, it has horrible tone, almost impossible to tune correctly, and isn't even remotely the same with pushing fret buttons instead of real strings.

One thing I will say though that I don't like is that the neck is hollow, I assume this is so they could get in the touch board. Because of this it causes a lot of tonation and vibration in the neck if you move it while playing (it bows a bit) Some better tension on the strings may fix that, but I haven't gotten my midi adapter yet. While this would make a decent starting guitar, I agree that you should get a different real one if you decide to go serious with the learning.

I agree 100% about the "one is a toy pretending to be a real guitar, and one is a real guitar"

If it weren't for it working on RB3 I certainly wouldn't have spent this much on the guitar, this is a 100 dollar squire at MOST, even less depending on where you go.

I will agree with you on one other thing. The plastic fret board is a bit disappointing, but I am pretty sure someone else made the neck and not fender. They just took their body and slapped on the premade neck. Also it would have been nice for 300 bucks to get some kind of case, even a cheap gig bag would have been nice.

Ok, let me rephrase, there is a problem with the high e being recognized, but that is a game bug and is supposedly going to get fixed next patch.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='luxarific']Well, I can't believe they've created two different versions of this coupon for the mover's kit. I'll give it a try when I pick the Squier up at Best Buy, but I'm not holding my breath.

A very in-depth review of the Squier by an actual guitarist, for people who may be interested.[/QUOTE]

That was the video that I watched and he seems pretty impressed at it from a technical standpoint and learning to play, but obviously not for playing seriously (you obviously don't want to use this at a gig lol)

If a real guitarist is impressed, even a bit, when most just absolutely hate the rock band games, then that is something to take notice of.

Everyone I know who got the mustang sold it for the squire when it hit and they said it's hard but amazingly fun and a hell of a lot better than the mustang.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Thanks for the post OP my trigger finger is itching on this deal.

Does anyone have experience with this? I used to play bass because I have fairly large fingers and I always found guitar strings difficult. Is this the guitar that can be used as a midi controller as well?[/QUOTE]

Well with the mustang you are pushing buttons not holding strings so if you have large fingers you will likely have an issue with accidentally holding down 2 buttons at once when you only mean to hold down 1.

Here's my non-technical, non-guitarist perspective:

at $150 for the Mustang, I could maybe see spending the extra $130 for the squier since there is some additional non-gaming value.

But at $90, I am going with Mustang. ~$190 difference is just too large in my eyes.

As a beginner, the biggest hurdles for me (as I see) are finger positioning and dedication. IF I can use the Mustang to get over those two humps and find that I am truly interested in playing guitar, then I would invest in a better 'real' guitar at that point. Figure I'd already have the $190 'saved' on the RB squier to get me started. Plus, in my case I have a beginner acoustic that I plan on trying to learn simultaneously while practicing with the Mustang.

Anyway - I know its not simply a game controller (due to added practice time) and I know its not a real guitar (mainly, buttons v strings), but the theory works for me and seems to make most sense short term and long term.

FWIW

EDIT - not so much exact finger placement (which I agree will vary some), but more finger control/stretching. again...if that makes sense :)

[quote name='naf']Here's my non-technical, non-guitarist perspective:

at $150 for the Mustang, I could maybe see spending the extra $130 for the squier since there is some additional non-gaming value.

But at $90, I am going with Mustang. ~$190 difference is just too large in my eyes.

As a beginner, the biggest hurdles for me (as I see) are finger positioning and dedication. IF I can use the Mustang to get over those two humps and find that I am truly interested in playing guitar, then I would invest in a better 'real' guitar at that point. Figure I'd already have the $190 'saved' on the RB squier to get me started. Plus, in my case I have a beginner acoustic that I plan on trying to learn simultaneously while practicing with the Mustang.

Anyway - I know its not simply a game controller (due to added practice time) and I know its not a real guitar (mainly, buttons v strings), but the theory works for me and seems to make most sense short term and long term.

FWIW[/QUOTE]

Now that's a valid reason to get a mustang. I am already taking lessons so i figured it would be worth it to get the squire so that it doesn't impede my learning (buttons instead of strings) and finger placement. I'm sure the finger placement is a bit different, but it would be good for getting the basics down.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the squire is mostly for people serious about the guitar. If you don't know if you will want to continue learning (from an instructor, no game can replace an actual person showing you what to do) then you should get the mustang.

I agree with you that the Mustang would be useful for finger positioning/muscle memory. The other (pretty important, from my perspective) argument in favor for the Mustang is that it's the only Pro controller that can play non-Pro songs. The Squier is limited to Pro-songs only.

In an ideal world, I would get both. As it stands, I will probably just get the Squier, unless the Pro for the 360 drops to $70-ish (then I will get both. :) )

[quote name='dmdragon'] The mustang from every review i have read is like the red headed step child of the guitars, it has horrible tone, almost impossible to tune correctly, and isn't even remotely the same with pushing fret buttons instead of real strings.[/QUOTE]

That's very different from what I read, and I'm not even sure it makes any sense....how can the Mustang, a MIDI/electronic guitar have "tone" and how can you "tune" an electronic guitar? Everything I've read about the Mustang is that it is a pretty good deal on a good MIDI guitar that also lets you start learning finger positioning and strumming/picking strings that will be helpful if you want to transition to a real guitar.

Actually, the comments about tone and tune sounds like what I had read about the Squier, so I'm wondering if you got those confused.

Also, regarding tone, tuning and other shortcomings people have commented on with the Squier, I believe some of these are due to the lower build quality of the Squier but others are because the Squier, just like any other real guitar, may need some adjustments and fine tuning to work optimally. Fortunately, it does have the real guitar features that allow you to make these adjustments (truss rod, string height, etc).

As a MIDI guitar most of these adjustments aren't necessary (except maybe the string or pickup height so it can register the string picking/strumming properly), but they are more necessary if you'll be playing with an AMP.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']That's very different from what I read, and I'm not even sure it makes any sense....how can the Mustang, a MIDI/electronic guitar have "tone" and how can you "tune" an electronic guitar? Everything I've read about the Mustang is that it is a pretty good deal on a good MIDI guitar that also lets you start learning finger positioning and strumming/picking strings that will be helpful if you want to transition to a real guitar.

Actually, the comments about tone and tune sounds like what I had read about the Squier, so I'm wondering if you got those confused.

Also, regarding tone, tuning and other shortcomings people have commented on with the Squier, I believe some of these are due to the lower build quality of the Squier but others are because the Squier, just like any other real guitar, may need some adjustments and fine tuning to work optimally. Fortunately, it does have the real guitar features that allow you to make these adjustments (truss rod, string height, etc).

As a MIDI guitar most of these adjustments aren't necessary (except maybe the string or pickup height so it can register the string picking/strumming properly), but they are more necessary if you'll be playing with an AMP.[/QUOTE]

yeah, the squier was so out of tune when i opened it.. the Low E was registering as a D minor. It is going to take some adjustments. I have heard from others about needing like a week or so to get it to the way they like it. I definitely wasn't trying to flame your earlier post, but I personally from what I read think the squire is on a whole different level than the mustang. Kind of like a car from 1978 and a car from 2010. Sure it will get you there, but it won't get you there pretty fast and is quite limited on what it can do compared to the other one.

It's pretty much a preference I would imagine. I can't justify paying 100 or close to it on a plastic guitar, but a wooden one that is made by a top guitar maker i can justify a higher premium.

as for strings I can go get regular 9 gauge or 10 gauge strings for this. I can't even imagine how much they would charge for the strings for the mustang since they are like 1/3rd strings and probably only sold by mad katz lol

By the way, since it isn't in bold in the book and kind of hidden

The Squier by Fender stratocaster Guitar and Controller is designed for use only with strings of .009 to .042 gauge strings. Heavier gauge strings may cause damage to the instrument. The warranty is void if strings of a heavier gauge than .009 to .042 are installed.

Voided warranty if you get the wrong stings, so watch out.

Oh and I was not aware that the mustang was considered electronic and not electric since i thought it could be plugged into an amp. Call me dense but I never noticed that the mustang didn't have any tuning pegs, had i known that then my statement about tuning would not have been made lol. I feel dumb now.

You are right though, if you are just looking for a midi guitar to see if guitar is something you're serious about them get the mustang, if you already know that you will be continuing on with a good teacher (once again, don't let this be the be all end all of teaching you, get a real teacher, nothing can replace that) then get the squier.

One more thing. I do understand it's expensive, and had i had to pay full price for it I may have gotten a mustang, but with best buys great trade in values on games I was able to pull this for 70 out of pocket which is a good price for me. On top of that I used a Movers 10% coupon and got it for 270 after tax out the door with only 70 of that out of pocket.

Actually, I think your previous comments were in response to someone else, not me, and for the most I think we are in agreement regarding the Squire.

For use in RB3, there's no need to tune the Squire because it just senses finger positioning and string motion (though I think having it not in tune would drive me crazy), so it sounds like the don't really bother trying to get it properly in tune before shipping it. But that's probably the case with any real guitar you buy.

Other adjustments (string height, etc) are also not unusual tweaks you would need to make on a real guitar if you bought it new and had it shipped mail order, though I'd expect if you bought it in a guitar store they would have done that for you (or as part of the sales process).

The restriction on the string gauge is (I'm sure) due to the nature of the neck...not solid wood but instead somewhat hollow and made of plastic that would deform under the higher tension of heavier gauge strings.

The Mustang can be used wirelessly out of the box with your console using the USB dongle (just like the standard plastic guitar controllers) or it can be plugged into a MIDI setup using the MIDI connector, but both options are going to be digital. No option to plug it into an amp. But yeah, no tuning pegs...dead giveaway :lol:

I also just picked up the Squier today (had to drive about 80 miles round trip to the closest Best Buy that had them in stock since Bestbuy.com has them on a 1-2 week backorder (which has me wondering if they may be discontinued soon due to the recent problems with the poor sales of Rock Band and Guitar Hero).

I think the Mustang is the superior gaming guitar...works in both Pro and non-Pro modes, works wirelessly without needing additional accessories, doesn't need tuning or adjustments to work, teaches basic real guitar-playing skills...all for ~$100 (+/- $20 for XBOX/PS3).

However, if you want to learn to play a real guitar in the real world, the Squire is the way to go. As a guitar it is a starter guitar and if you really do learn to play guitar you'll want to graduate to a much better guitar in the future. But that's the case with any musical instrument. But as a tool for learning to play guitar, there is nothing to compare to it. Any other "real" guitar won't give you the same degree of visual and auditory feedback you'll get using the Squier with RB3. Nothing else offers the the level of interactivity and instruction for learning the basics of playing a guitar, from the beginner basics to more advanced skills.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't also get some private lesson's to identify and fix bad habits before they get too ingrained, but as an instructional tool you can use whenever you have the time, there's really nothing like it.

I'll probably still keep my Mustang controller around as a second game controller, especially for playing non-Pro stuff, but I'm looking forward to using the Squier to really learn how to play guitar. So I was a CAG when I purchased the Mustang, but when I bought the Squier I was more of an aspiring musician that just happens to also be a CAG.

[quote name='DarkonJohn'] I was a CAG when I purchased the Mustang, but when I bought the Squier I was more of an aspiring musician that just happens to also be a CAG.[/QUOTE]

Right on man.

I started learning like 4 months before this was announced so when I heard this I was psyched and said i would definitely get it.

You're probably right about the strings. You don't so much have to worry with a solid neck, but a hollow plastic one might snap if you use thicker strings and tighten it too much, or at least warp way easier than a regular guitar would.

My biggest thing is that I am at the point in my lessons that I am getting a bit frustrated and bored, not having as much fun as I used to. I think this would be a great tool to make the lessons more fun. Plus my guitar teacher wants me to bring it by so he can check it out, if it's good he may try to integrate it into his classes for the younger kids with a smaller attention span. He said i can rock out in the game, and he would plug into the amp and do the lead guitar since I think the rb3 is just the rhythm part.

As that review said, this will show you how to play, but some of the finger positions vary by instructor, as a G for instance I use the second finger on A second fret, third finger on low E 3rd fret and pinky (fourth) on the High e forth fret. I've seen some do it that way, but they use the index finger on the low E, Second finger on the A and, the third finger all the way down on the high e.

It's preference really, but with stuff like that it's nice to have some structure.

edit: Pinkie on the high E 3rd fret, not 4th lol...

I haven't taken a lesson in a month and a half since I snapped my elbow so I have forgotten a bit lol

So incredibly tempting. .......but with Portal 2 and FF4 next week, I'll have to wait! Maybe the $20 credit from Portal 2 will work on this and it'll be cheap/cheaper mid-May when I have money again!

[quote name='dmdragon']Right on man.

I started learning like 4 months before this was announced so when I heard this I was psyched and said i would definitely get it.

You're probably right about the strings. You don't so much have to worry with a solid neck, but a hollow plastic one might snap if you use thicker strings and tighten it too much, or at least warp way easier than a regular guitar would.

My biggest thing is that I am at the point in my lessons that I am getting a bit frustrated and bored, not having as much fun as I used to. I think this would be a great tool to make the lessons more fun. Plus my guitar teacher wants me to bring it by so he can check it out, if it's good he may try to integrate it into his classes for the younger kids with a smaller attention span. He said i can rock out in the game, and he would plug into the amp and do the lead guitar since I think the rb3 is just the rhythm part.

As that review said, this will show you how to play, but some of the finger positions vary by instructor, as a G for instance I use the second finger on A second fret, third finger on low E 3rd fret and pinky (fourth) on the High e forth fret. I've seen some do it that way, but they use the index finger on the low E, Second finger on the A and, the third finger all the way down on the high e.

It's preference really, but with stuff like that it's nice to have some structure.

edit: Pinkie on the high E 3rd fret, not 4th lol...

I haven't taken a lesson in a month and a half since I snapped my elbow so I have forgotten a bit lol[/QUOTE]

That sucks about your elbow...how much longer 'till you can move it and get back to playing? On the positive side, at least it wasn't your fingers ;)

I think RB3 has you primarily playing lead guitar, though there might also be a way to play rhythm. Certainly in one of the videos I saw from Fender at a media show, the guy was playing the lead for Crazy Train.

I've got a friend that's been playing guitar for 30+ years, so I plan on getting some lessons from him once I get some basic skills and more confidence. He's offered to teach me before, but I've never had the time to dedicate to it on a regular basis.

I think finger positioning does vary between people, with some variations making a chord easier if your hands are larger or small. Biggest pros/cons of different fingerings I've been told is how easy it is to change from one chord to another. Some fingerings can be harder to transition into/out of than others, but that might also depend on the type of music you will be playing (just guessing).

Just opened up the Squire box a little while ago and started playing the few chords I remember. My poor uncalloused fingers are already feeling tender. Gotta break those suckers in and build up some callouses. That's at least one pro with the Mustang guitar...your fingers might get sore from pressing buttons, but at least you won't end up with blisters :lol:

[quote name='DarkonJohn']That sucks about your elbow...how much longer 'till you can move it and get back to playing? On the positive side, at least it wasn't your fingers ;)

I think RB3 has you primarily playing lead guitar, though there might also be a way to play rhythm. Certainly in one of the videos I saw from Fender at a media show, the guy was playing the lead for Crazy Train.

I've got a friend that's been playing guitar for 30+ years, so I plan on getting some lessons from him once I get some basic skills and more confidence. He's offered to teach me before, but I've never had the time to dedicate to it on a regular basis.

I think finger positioning does vary between people, with some variations making a chord easier if your hands are larger or small. Biggest pros/cons of different fingerings I've been told is how easy it is to change from one chord to another. Some fingerings can be harder to transition into/out of than others, but that might also depend on the type of music you will be playing (just guessing).

Just opened up the Squire box a little while ago and started playing the few chords I remember. My poor uncalloused fingers are already feeling tender. Gotta break those suckers in and build up some callouses. That's at least one pro with the Mustang guitar...your fingers might get sore from pressing buttons, but at least you won't end up with blisters :lol:[/QUOTE]

You need those callouses, they build character lol.

It is about a month at least before I can play this thing so I'm bummed and it keeps taunting me. Oh well, I have something to look forward to. Yeah, some are easier to move from one to another.

To go for instance from a C to a G7 you move your second and third finger up one string from the A and D to the Low E and A and the index finger down 1 from the B to the High E. Then from there you can take off your index finger and move your 4th finger (pinky) to the high E 3rd fret and you are now at a G from lifting one finger and adding another. Not too hard to transition from that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I've had a lesson lol.

bread's done
Back