for the DDR fans out there YMMV

BeAt

CAGiversary!
Yesterday i was at gamestop, and they had a single redoctane igniton pad 3.0 there that was under a rack of used games. It rung up at $40, so if you have a gamestop around you with ignition pads id take a look, i have a feeling it was just a price mistake since it rung up as a universal dance pad.

gsreciept.jpg

Probably not a price mistake, if they considered it used (even if it was new), all dance pads probably have a generic SKU.

Around 2 or 3 years ago, EB had on their site a listing for a used dance pad for $8.99. I think Punqsux ordered 2 of them and got 2 DDR Extreme bundles (game and dance pad), so the next time it came in stock I ordered and got a brand new Naki PS2/XBox ignition type pad that was tagged $49.99

cool. but what's so great about it?
I've always used the $20 universal pad. Its fine, as long as you weight the cord down so it doesnt slide everywhere. no big deal.

this one heavy so it doesnt move?

somewhat off topic but can you use a ps2 ddr pad on a ps3 with one of those ps2>ps3 adapters?

The ignition pads feel like they're smaller than the arcade counterparts. I don't know the dimensions of the ignition pads, but whenever I play on them, I feel like my step area has shrunk.

Ignition 3.0 pads are fantastic. They are thickly padded and, most importantly, have raise arrow pads. That means you can feel where you are on the pad. For me it makes a huge difference. I play much better on them. They are absolutely worth $40. I paid $70 and they were worth that price. Highly recommended.

I have to disagree.. I once had a 3.0 pad and I took it back for an older version. Its widely known that the 3.0 pads had tons of things wrong with them. Try to find a 2.0 version. Much better quality.

I know the 3.0's aren't supposed to be as good as the 2.0's, but I didn't notice any problems. I used one for about 3 months until I got an Afterburner and Cobalt Flux. The only problem is that I have a carpeted floor, so I had to mod the Ignition by sticking a thin sheet of plywood underneath the foam so it didn't sag too much.

Only chance you'll have at getting a 2.0 is buying a used one since they were discontinued about 3 years ago. I'd rather take my chances with a new 3.0 than a used 2.0.

I've read of the complaints about the 3.0 pads, but both of mine have been fantastic. I bought direct from Red Octane, though that is definitely not the cheap way to go. For $40, I'd take a chance on one from Gamestop. In fact I am going to see if I can find one or two at that price as all pads wear out eventually and I'd like some replacements to have in storage for when that day comes.

The SKU from the receipt begins with "80," meaning it rang up as new. This was likely part of a broader price drop meant to clear out last-gen accessories. To this former Gamestop employee, the price looks legit.

Can't speak to the quality of the pad, tho :cool:

[quote name='BigFishCarl']I have to disagree.. I once had a 3.0 pad and I took it back for an older version. Its widely known that the 3.0 pads had tons of things wrong with them. Try to find a 2.0 version. Much better quality.[/quote]

When I was looking around for a new dance pad, I found a thread on ddrfreak.com about all the problems with the 3.0

I particularly remember a photo of the thin layer of foam between the contacts on the inside of the foam being completely shredded, leading to ghosting, missed steps, etc.

If you play a lot on heavy, you may want to go with another option, but I can't speak from experience.

If you're looking for some pads I would check ebay. My friend picked up a pair of decent ones for $37.99 shipped. I picked up a pair for $55 shipped and they do ps2,xbox1,pc. They aren't Red Octane, but padding seems decent at the least and they work perfect.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Probably not a price mistake, if they considered it used (even if it was new), all dance pads probably have a generic SKU.[/quote]Doubt it, since they don't take in used pads for "health reasons." And by "health reasons," they mean so they can make ridiculous profit by peddling their Gamestop branded piece of crap pad instead.

bread's done
Back