For those looking for a wireless gamecube controller

lilman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
So I've been wanting to play some GC games on my Wii but didn't want to deal with cords. I looked around for a WaveBird since I always buy 1st-party controllers but those have been long sold out and now sell for over $100 new. I was about to give up and pull the trigger on a 10ft GC controller extension cord when I came across the Komodo Shockwave for $16:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042BZQBQ

The controller feels very close to the official Nintendo controller. The analog and c-stick are just as good, R L A B X Y all feel about the same (maybe a bit more clicky, nothing too noticeable), Z is a noticeably more clicky but that's not a problem. Unlike the WaveBird the Shockwave supports rumble.

The only two drawbacks I've seen thus far:
1) The d-pad is not nearly as good as on the official controller. It doesn't click in enough for as-precise controls.
2) The wireless receiver has an offset shape from where it plugs into the controller slot, so you may not be able to plug in two receivers right next to each other (I can't test since I only got one).

Small gripes:
1) The receiver has a red led on top that constantly blinks even if the Wii is in standby. I covered the led so it isn't a problem anymore.
2) Controller requires 3 aaa rather than the standard 2.

Definitely worth a look if you want to play your GC games wirelessly. Unfortunately you cannot turn off the Wii remotely while in GC mode but you can substitute an AC outlet remote.

(Note: I posted this in the Wii board rather than the GC board since I assume everyone who loved GC has purchased a Wii, and since Wii is backwards compatible you probably have stored away your GC already.)

-Update-
2 months later and controller is still working perfectly. Currently replaying Wind Waker.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back