*Former* PS3 Fanboy Here: Just bought a 360

BuckinKaeding

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I have a few questions.

1. Can I use my Fat32 formatted External HDD for both my PS3 and my 360, or do I need 2 separate ones?

2. Please let me know some older exclusives of the 360 so I can scoop some up. The games I purchased today were Halo 3, GOW2, Mass Effect.

3. What are some of the features of the 360 that the PS3 lacks?

4. Do I have to purchase a 360 branded HDMI cable or will any old one work?

Those and anything else cool you can tell me would be appreciated.

lol you're not a ps3 fanboy if you bought a 360.

As to your questions:

2. Definitely pick up Left 4 Dead. If you're into RPGs, there's Fable 2 and Fallout 3. I know that the PS3 has Fallout as well, but the 360 version has exclusive DLC. That's the same with GTA4 if you don't already have it for the ps3.

3. The biggest feature that the 360 lacks would be Blu-ray capability, but that's not an issue since you already have a ps3.

4. Any old HDMI cable works.

[quote name='disillusion386']lol you're not a ps3 fanboy if you bought a 360.

As to your questions:

2. Definitely pick up Left 4 Dead. If you're into RPGs, there's Fable 2 and Fallout 3. I know that the PS3 has Fallout as well, but the 360 version has exclusive DLC. That's the same with GTA4 if you don't already have it for the ps3.

3. The biggest feature that the 360 lacks would be Blu-ray capability, but that's not an issue since you already have a ps3.

4. Any old HDMI cable works.[/quote]

Not anymore. Last night after much conversation w/ a group of people of which, some owned ps3s and some 360s I determined that the PS3 wasn't superior to the 360 as I had thought before.

I already have Fallout 3 for the PS3 so I'll wait for that to drop in price a lot before picking it up. I had GTA IV for PS3 before I sold it, but I'll pick it up for the 360. I'll look into Fable 2 and Oblivion GOTY edition.

I was wondering what more the 360 has to offer over the PS3, not what the ps3 has to offer over the 360.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_exclusives

A few personal favorites, on the cheap:

Crackdown
Perfect Dark Zero
Saints Row

These should all cost you about $10 a piece give or take (though I'm not completely up to date on my video game pricing). Mixed reviews on the first two, but I was a pretty big fan of both. Saints Row was a good GTA clone - for some reason I like this one better than the second.

Don't waste your money and blindly purchase them, as I said, Crackdown and PDZ got mixed reviews, so try some demos first. That should get you started though.

:edit: Forgot to mention Amped 3, thats pretty fun if you're into snowboarding games, and Earth Defense Force 2017 - haven't played it, but I've heard good things.

[quote name='TruVisionary']for question 1, you will be able to use for FAT32 external harddrive.[/quote]
Can I use the same external HDD for my ps3 and 360? Do i have to make separate partitions? Or will it just work as is?

[quote name='BuckinKaeding']2. Please let me know some older exclusives of the 360 so I can scoop some up.[/quote]
Dead Rising

[quote name='BuckinKaeding']Can I use the same external HDD for my ps3 and 360? Do i have to make separate partitions? Or will it just work as is?[/quote]

it will work as is like TruVisionary said.

xbox wont view your Matroska(.mkv) files on the drive. converting to mp4 (passthrough video & AAC audio) tends to work just fine. uhh divx works fine...you could even format ure hdd to HFS+ if u wanna drop large ass hd mp4 videos on there to playback. xbox loves those.

[quote name='BuckinKaeding']Does the 360 have a DVD Upscaler in it? Is it better than the PS3's Horizontal only DVD Upscaling?[/quote]

The 360 does upscale DVDs but the picture sharpness seems a bit better on the ps3. I have both consoles and prefer using the ps3 for dvds. Would be interesting to see a side by side comparison.

About xbox 360 exclusives, if you're into hack-n-slash and haven't tried Ninja Gaiden Sigma, you might want to get Ninja Gaiden II.

i dont own a ps3, so i don't know if it can do it too, but another nice thing is being able to stream media to your 360 from your pc, saved me tons of room for music by doing that, also forza 2 is a pretty cool exclusive sim racer

I second Left 4 Dead (only if you plan on playing it on Xbox live or with friends). Might as well pick up the original gears of war.

If you like, there's 2 free Xbox Live Arcade games. Look for Aegis Wing and Dash of Destruction. Hexic HD is free also, but you might already have it in your hard drive (my xbox came with it already). I would recommend Saints Row for a cheap game. THere's a lot to do in that game. The only tiny let down is there's only 4 wheel land vehicles and no lock on aiming.

Castle Crashers is pretty good, but I think the online is still junk. Its an XBLA game, got pretty good reviews if I remember. Fun to play with friends all in the same room.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Remember that your external hard drive can't ever have game saves or dlc.

Two of the best features of the 360 over the PS3 (other than live) is 1)media streaming from your home computer - it's so incredibly easy and convenient that there is no reason to use your external hard drive, and 2) netflix (Which requires live gold and a netflix sub).

The 360 has a rather sophisticated upscaler, but it only works when connected through vga or hdmi. I honestly don't know how it compares to the PS3 (I use a standalone HD DVD player to upscale).

I recommend any new 360 owner to spend a lot of time in the marketplace queuing up tons of demos and trials. It's free, and they all download while you play something else.

I definitely recommend Crackdown. Here's some other games that you might enjoy.
Racing: Burnout Revenge and Burnout Paradise
RPG: Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey
FPS: Bioshock

Why do you have know what "makes the 360 better?" It's not a dick wagging contest. All three consoles have their strengths and short comings. You don't have to be a rabid fanboy for the 360, PS3, or Wii; just play the games you enjoy and leave it at that.

[quote name='Kayden']Why do you have know what "makes the 360 better?" It's not a dick wagging contest. All three consoles have their strengths and short comings. You don't have to be a rabid fanboy for the 360, PS3, or Wii; just play the games you enjoy and leave it at that.[/quote]

It's responses like these that convert simple questions into flame wars or as you put it "dick wagging contests." He asked a question that most people would ask and most people would have an appropriate answer for.

Obviously, what makes the 360 better than the PS3 is based purely on one's personal interests.

For those of us who don't have the money to buy every system available on the market we sometimes need to know what are the advantages of one system over the other.

I think the 360's advantages definitely have to do with the exclusive games(but not to say that there aren't some great exclusives I would love to play on the PS3), exclusive DLC and all the exclusives in general (i.e. Netflix and the supposed "Primetime" coming in the Spring).

As far as games go, most everyone has generally giving you what I would have giving you but regardless congrats on choosing the Xbox, it has it's cons definitely (Red Ring of Death being the most obvious and probably most annoying of all) but it's a problem that has a solution even if it's a quite the irritating process.

I think since he just bought a 360 he wants to know what makes it shine above the rest so he knows what to look for and pick up. This doesn't mean he all of a sudden thinks 360 is better or worse than PS3. Just that since he's coming in late he wants to know what he needs to know to catch up to what millions already enjoy.

[quote name='YodaEXE']I definitely recommend Crackdown. Here's some other games that you might enjoy.
Racing: Burnout Revenge and Burnout Paradise
RPG: Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey
FPS: Bioshock[/quote]

The PS3 version of Eternal Sonata is much much better, though I suppose the 360 version is significantly cheaper at this point.

I got my 360 about 7-8 months ago after being PS3-only, and the first "old" exclusive I picked up was Mass Effect, and I poured a ton of time into it, so I'd definitely recommend that.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Remember that your external hard drive can't ever have game saves or dlc.

Two of the best features of the 360 over the PS3 (other than live) is 1)media streaming from your home computer - it's so incredibly easy and convenient that there is no reason to use your external hard drive, and 2) netflix (Which requires live gold and a netflix sub).

The 360 has a rather sophisticated upscaler, but it only works when connected through vga or hdmi. I honestly don't know how it compares to the PS3 (I use a standalone HD DVD player to upscale).

I recommend any new 360 owner to spend a lot of time in the marketplace queuing up tons of demos and trials. It's free, and they all download while you play something else.[/quote]
Well the problem is that I don't own a Desktop, only a Laptop so the HDD on that sucker starts to get full fast. Thats why I have the External HDD. You can also stream to the PS3 with a program called PS3 Media Server, however in my experiences its pretty choppy. I need to find out how to stream to the 360.

[quote name='Kayden']Why do you have know what "makes the 360 better?" It's not a dick wagging contest. All three consoles have their strengths and short comings. You don't have to be a rabid fanboy for the 360, PS3, or Wii; just play the games you enjoy and leave it at that.[/quote]
Why do I have to know? Well I want to know so I know what things I should be doing on my PS3 and what things I should be doing on my 360. For example, It sounds like streaming is much easier on the 360 than the PS3, so I'll use the 360 for that. On the other hand the PS3 is better for upgrading the internal HDD, so I'll use the PS3 for that...etc.

If you're going to do your streaming to the 360, why bother upgrading the hard drive on your PS3? The point of streaming in general is to not need storage anyways.

I don't know if streaming is easier on the 360, but I know it is definitely better on the PS3. If you want to listen to custom sound tracks on the 360, you're going to need to set up stuff anyways, but I can only ever get it to work for 1 track and then I get an error. Stupid 360. Anyways, the scaler on the PS3 is much better than the 360, that goes for games, DVDs or streamed content. My GF who cares little about tech even commented on the difference.

On top of that, I use my 360 as little as possible. I only play games on it because I don't want to make it die any faster.

[quote name='mission42']I think since he just bought a 360 he wants to know what makes it shine above the rest so he knows what to look for and pick up. This doesn't mean he all of a sudden thinks 360 is better or worse than PS3. Just that since he's coming in late he wants to know what he needs to know to catch up to what millions already enjoy.[/quote]
This.

[quote name='bvharris']The PS3 version of Eternal Sonata is much much better, though I suppose the 360 version is significantly cheaper at this point.

I got my 360 about 7-8 months ago after being PS3-only, and the first "old" exclusive I picked up was Mass Effect, and I poured a ton of time into it, so I'd definitely recommend that.[/quote]
I picked up Mass Effect too, and I played just about the first 10 minutes, I didn't want to delve into it too much because I wanted to get on COD to kick some ass. It seems pretty cool. It was only $14.99 plus 10% off for Edge card and another 10% off coupon...

I also picked up Halo 3, MLB 2K6 (cause it was $5), and Gears of War 2. I am returning Halo 3 and MLB 2K6 today. MLB is just horrible, so I am getting my money back. Being a COD fanatic, Halo 3 just doesn't suit me well. I only played 2 online matches and won both, but I hate how I can unload an entire magazine into somebody and they don't die.

I have only $5 on my Killzone so those 2 returns will get me about $40 closer to the game. I'll only have to drop $10-$15 on it.

[quote name='Kayden']If you're going to do your streaming to the 360, why bother upgrading the hard drive on your PS3? The point of streaming in general is to not need storage anyways.

I don't know if streaming is easier on the 360, but I know it is definitely better on the PS3. If you want to listen to custom sound tracks on the 360, you're going to need to set up stuff anyways, but I can only ever get it to work for 1 track and then I get an error. Stupid 360. Anyways, the scaler on the PS3 is much better than the 360, that goes for games, DVDs or streamed content. My GF who cares little about tech even commented on the difference.

On top of that, I use my 360 as little as possible. I only play games on it because I don't want to make it die any faster.[/quote]

Look dude, It looks like you are the one whos trying to start the flame war. All I came in here was to ask some questions and you are basically calling me a retard.

I have upgraded my PS3 HDD to 250 GB, and I'm starting to put all my TV shows on there. I also have a 500 GB External.

To be honest, I'm not all that worried about streaming.

The main reason I bought the 360 is so I could play the exclusives. The only reason I posted here is to see what more the 360 had to offer.

[quote name='BuckinKaeding']Look dude, It looks like you are the one whos trying to start the flame war. All I came in here was to ask some questions and you are basically calling me a retard.

I have upgraded my PS3 HDD to 250 GB, and I'm starting to put all my TV shows on there. I also have a 500 GB External.

To be honest, I'm not all that worried about streaming.

The main reason I bought the 360 is so I could play the exclusives. The only reason I posted here is to see what more the 360 had to offer.[/quote]

Don't worry no one but him is trying to make this into a flame war. You're asking questions that any new Xbox owner making the "switch" from another platform would ask.

Ignore people like that, they tend to lurk around in most forums haha.

As others have said, both systems have their benefits; unfortunately it's terms like "fanboy" that piss those that are neutral in this theoretical system war off.

That being said, I second the likes of: Mass Effect, Crackdown, Saint's Row, and Dead Rising. All great games that can be had for pennies on the dollar at any used store.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']As others have said, both systems have their benefits; unfortunately it's terms like "fanboy" that piss those that are neutral in this theoretical system war off.

That being said, I second the likes of: Mass Effect, Crackdown, Saint's Row, and Dead Rising. All great games that can be had for pennies on the dollar at any used store.[/quote]
Thats why I put *Former* in front of it.

I'm going to Gamestop today to return Halo 3 and MLB 2k6, and pick up Killzone 2 for the PS3. I'll probably pick up Crackdown and Dead Rising.

[quote name='BuckinKaeding']Thats why I put *Former* in front of it.

I'm going to Gamestop today to return Halo 3 and MLB 2k6, and pick up Killzone 2 for the PS3. I'll probably pick up Crackdown and Dead Rising.[/quote]

I'm a former PS fanboy too, but once I got my 360 I realized how stupid that was, and now I love it too. My heart is big enough for both! :D

If you want a baseball game, forget your 360 though and stick with your PS3. The only current franchise worth a damn is The Show, and it's Sony exclusive.

[quote name='popemogoth']Welcome to the 360 club. I'm glad you're here. I left Playstation behind long ago. Can we say BORING!!!!!!![/quote]
Sorry man, I don't see it. I love my PS3. I am a big time Movie/TV Show collecter too, so the Blu-Ray just kills it for me.

The only thing I want to know is if theres a way I can trade in my COD World @ War PS3 straight up for the Xbox Version at Gamestop?

Also, I'm glad that you can return used games for 100% money back at Game Stop no questions asked. Otherwise I'd be iffy about buying Crackdown and Dead Rising.

[quote name='Kayden']If you're going to do your streaming to the 360, why bother upgrading the hard drive on your PS3? The point of streaming in general is to not need storage anyways.

I don't know if streaming is easier on the 360, but I know it is definitely better on the PS3. If you want to listen to custom sound tracks on the 360, you're going to need to set up stuff anyways, but I can only ever get it to work for 1 track and then I get an error. Stupid 360. Anyways, the scaler on the PS3 is much better than the 360, that goes for games, DVDs or streamed content. My GF who cares little about tech even commented on the difference.[/quote]
I have no idea what you are talking about. Streaming is "better" on the PS3? How? I could never even get it to work. It finds my computer on a network but I can't watch any of my divx files through my PS3. To use an apple term, it just "works" on the 360. All you essentially need to is have your pc on and the files shared.

The "scaler" only applies to regular DVD's. I'm really not sure how or why you think it applies to games or streamed content. Maybe your referring to something else. Regardless, if everything on your ps3 looks that much better than on your 360, it's pretty clear you've got the 360 hooked up wrong or got crap cables. I have both systems and they look identical on my 50" plasma with everything but bluray.

Ya man, welcome to the 360 side of things. More and more PS fanboys are coming over and finally realize how lousy the PS3 really is, and who could blame em! The PS3 was bound to be an inferior system with its high pricing and lousy lineup.'

Some older or cheaper good exclusives: Kameo, Banjo Kazooie, Tales of Vesperia (not older or cheaper really, but the best RPG so far this gen by a landslide), Mass Effect, Dirt? (is it exclusive...dunno), Burnout Revenge, and pick up the free XBLA titles too :D

And what the 360 has that the PS3 lacks: A+ games (RPGS esp.), RARE, Halo, loud noise when it runs

You have to install something like TVersity, but thats really no different than how you have to have media center (or the extender) installed and running. It also lets me play quicktime, real media, xvid, mkv, vob or just about any other codec/container.

If you're idea of crappy cables is stock, then yea, I'm using Microsoft's component cables that come with the pros. On the PS3 I'm using HDMI with a DVI adapter. If its a connection issue, then the PS3 should actually look worse because of the adapter. (You lose signal fidelity every time there is a change in medium.)

Using the same videos from the same computer to the same tv, the PS3 is noticeably sharper when upscaling the image. The image can get blurry on the edges and there are more artifacts. The PS3 is markedly better. I find the same to be true with DVDs.

For the games, I think PS2 games are upscaled better on the PS3 than xbox games are on the 360.

My TV is only 1080i, so HDMI vs component really shouldn't make any difference. The 360 games look good, but anything I upscale doesn't. I'm not going to go out and buy a new 360 either.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I have no idea what you are talking about. Streaming is "better" on the PS3? How? I could never even get it to work. It finds my computer on a network but I can't watch any of my divx files through my PS3. To use an apple term, it just "works" on the 360. All you essentially need to is have your pc on and the files shared.

The "scaler" only applies to regular DVD's. I'm really not sure how or why you think it applies to games or streamed content. Maybe your referring to something else. Regardless, if everything on your ps3 looks that much better than on your 360, it's pretty clear you've got the 360 hooked up wrong or got crap cables. I have both systems and they look identical on my 50" plasma with everything but bluray.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']You have to install something like TVersity, but thats really no different than how you have to have media center (or the extender) installed and running. It also lets me play quicktime, real media, xvid, mkv, vob or just about any other codec/container.[/quote]
Ah now I see the confusion. Tversity is a transcoder (which works just as easily with the 360) which means your PC does all the work of converting, in near real time, to a format the PS3/360 likes. I have never had good luck with it, as it degrades quality, unless you have a super powered PC.

There is a huge difference with Media Center/Media Extender. All those do is send the file over your LAN to your xbox and your xbox does all the work. So in other words, there is no conversion going on. It will look the same on the xbox as it will watching your PC - not to mention your PC's CPU isn't pegged trying to covert video on the fly, so it's still usable. Windows Media Center/Extender essentially make your PC a portable hard drive for the 360, wherever it is on the network. That's it.

If you're idea of crappy cables is stock, then yea, I'm using Microsoft's component cables that come with the pros. On the PS3 I'm using HDMI with a DVI adapter. If its a connection issue, then the PS3 should actually look worse because of the adapter. (You lose signal fidelity every time there is a change in medium.)
No idea then. I'm one of those guys that researches for months before buying a piece of AV equipment. My ps3 is HDMI and my 360 is VGA, and I see no difference in playing games.

You certainly would notice a difference with regular DVD though, as the 360's scaler isn't "allowed" to work except through VGA/HDMI, as mandated by the DVD Forum. In other words - regular DVD over component on the 360 looks gawd awful.

Using the same videos from the same computer to the same tv, the PS3 is noticeably sharper when upscaling the image. The image can get blurry on the edges and there are more artifacts. The PS3 is markedly better. I find the same to be true with DVDs.
I'm still confused about what upscaling of videos your ps3 is doing other than with DVD. If you are using Tversity, and telling it to upscale, then Tversity is doing the upscaling, and would/should look exactly the same no matter what Tversity was sending it to.

For the games, I think PS2 games are upscaled better on the PS3 than xbox games are on the 360.
You got me there. I don't play either on either console, so I wouldn't know.

My TV is only 1080i, so HDMI vs component really shouldn't make any difference. The 360 games look good, but anything I upscale doesn't. I'm not going to go out and buy a new 360 either.
Right. You really shouldn't notice a difference with games, that's where I was confused (except for BC games). If your 360 were connected by VGA/HDMI then DVD's would look closer to the PS3 quality, but that's not necessary for your set up.

[quote name='Spades22']Ya man, welcome to the 360 side of things. More and more PS fanboys are coming over and finally realize how lousy the PS3 really is, and who could blame em! The PS3 was bound to be an inferior system with its high pricing and lousy lineup.'

Some older or cheaper good exclusives: Kameo, Banjo Kazooie, Tales of Vesperia (not older or cheaper really, but the best RPG so far this gen by a landslide), Mass Effect, Dirt? (is it exclusive...dunno), Burnout Revenge, and pick up the free XBLA titles too :D

And what the 360 has that the PS3 lacks: A+ games (RPGS esp.), RARE, Halo, loud noise when it runs[/quote]

By the way, I still like my PS3 more than the 360. Its not a lousy system at all. Its just more expensive.

It's not confusion. TVersity only transcodes what the destination can't support. I have my anime folder set to always convert (for sub titles) and if I play the same file on both consoles it looks better on the PS3. I think I see how you're not understanding me now. I don't have my server set to upscale the video. It keeps it the same size (up to 720) and just changes the encoding (I can do 1080 if the codec is native to the console).

So if you play the video at 1:1, it'll only take up about half the screen. when you upscale it to fill the screen, the image stretched by the PS3 looks better than the one from the 360.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Ah now I see the confusion. Tversity is a transcoder (which works just as easily with the 360) which means your PC does all the work of converting, in near real time, to a format the PS3/360 likes. I have never had good luck with it, as it degrades quality, unless you have a super powered PC.

There is a huge difference with Media Center/Media Extender. All those do is send the file over your LAN to your xbox and your xbox does all the work. So in other words, there is no conversion going on. It will look the same on the xbox as it will watching your PC - not to mention your PC's CPU isn't pegged trying to covert video on the fly, so it's still usable. Windows Media Center/Extender essentially make your PC a portable hard drive for the 360, wherever it is on the network. That's it.

No idea then. I'm one of those guys that researches for months before buying a piece of AV equipment. My ps3 is HDMI and my 360 is VGA, and I see no difference in playing games.

You certainly would notice a difference with regular DVD though, as the 360's scaler isn't "allowed" to work except through VGA/HDMI, as mandated by the DVD Forum. In other words - regular DVD over component on the 360 looks gawd awful.

I'm still confused about what upscaling of videos your ps3 is doing other than with DVD. If you are using Tversity, and telling it to upscale, then Tversity is doing the upscaling, and would/should look exactly the same no matter what Tversity was sending it to.

You got me there. I don't play either on either console, so I wouldn't know.

Right. You really shouldn't notice a difference with games, that's where I was confused (except for BC games). If your 360 were connected by VGA/HDMI then DVD's would look closer to the PS3 quality, but that's not necessary for your set up.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']It's not confusion. TVersity only transcodes what the destination can't support. I have my anime folder set to always convert (for sub titles) and if I play the same file on both consoles it looks better on the PS3. I think I see how you're not understanding me now. I don't have my server set to upscale the video. It keeps it the same size (up to 720) and just changes the encoding (I can do 1080 if the codec is native to the console).

So if you play the video at 1:1, it'll only take up about half the screen. when you upscale it to fill the screen, the image stretched by the PS3 looks better than the one from the 360.[/QUOTE]

I gotcha now. I'll have to test that out myself, and see.

There are a ton of great XBLA games you should try. Make sure you check out the Greatest Hits line first. Those are already discounted. Plus Braid is on sale right now. You might want to check that out before they jack up the price again.

Also if you never owned a xbox before there are alot of xbox games that play pretty well on a 360.

As a former 360 -> PS3 -> Both -> Back to 360, here are some thoughts.

If you don't buy Blu-Ray a lot of what the PS3 offers is nullified.

Exclusives - Halo 3, Gears of War 1/2, Lost Odyssey, Saint's Row, Dead Rising, GTA4 DLC, Fallout 3 DLC, Star Ocean : The Last Hope.

Good games on a budget - Forza Motorsport 2, Dead Rising, Gears of War 1, Saint's Row, Oblivion, Rainbow Six Vegas.

You have to pay for Live, but trust me it's a much better service. There's always deals on Live cards too. Right now you can get 13 months for $30 at Sears. A few weeks ago it was $30 at Best Buy.

The things you can't do - You can't upgrade the hard-drive like you can on the PS3. You can't install custom operating systems. The funny thing is, I didn't do either of those things with my PS3.

The 360 controller is WAY better for fighting games. I prefer the concave analog sticks too because my fingers don't slip out.

There's some XBL Arcade games to get too - Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix is a good game to get if you can't afford SF4 at the moment. It has full HD support (1080p).

One thing the 360 can do that the PS3 can't, is it can do 1080i. The PS3 can NOT do 1080i and it's a huge issue for people with older HDTV's.

The 360 can also hook up to a PC monitor that doesn't have HDCP support because the graphics processor it uses can emulate PC resolutions. The PS3 on the other hand HAS to have an HDCP computer monitor and a DVI adapter, whereas you can use a VGA cable for the 360. Rather expensive but a great "cheap" HDTV solution for people who don't have an HDTV but want to play games in HD.

The 360 is also very good at scaling in-game text for people who don't have HD. Playing the PS3 on a standard definition TV was a nightmare for me before I bought my LG. The thing is, even having an HDTV, I still feel like non-HD owners are getting the short end of the stick, and not everyone can afford a $500-700 TV when they're students. The cost of games, accessories, internet connections, cables... This stuff adds up.

One thing about the 360 is you can't use optical audio with the HDMI connection unless you use an aftermarket component 360 VGA cable thingy so that the plug that goes into the 360 is smaller.

[quote name='BuckinKaeding']Wait, the Original Xbox games can be played on the 360?[/QUOTE]

Yes, as long as your xbox 360 has a hard drive you can enjoy playing a select number of original xbox games. On the plus side the 360 does a good job of making the games look better. The down side is graphic problems are common, but usually not game breaking.

Here is list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

oh and more good news is xbox games can be found at great prices right now.

[quote name='NamelessMC']One thing the 360 can do that the PS3 can't, is it can do 1080i. The PS3 can NOT do 1080i and it's a huge issue for people with older HDTV's.[/QUOTE]
I never knew this. No wonder my TV always does 720p when I try to play... just about anything.

[quote name='KingDox']oh and more good news is xbox games can be found at great prices right now.[/QUOTE]
Yup. I have about 15 good xbox games for sale on my tradelist if you're interested. Selling them cheap too, just want them gone ;)

Netflix is a good plus to the 360 that you don't get with the PS3 I own both and I play my 360 much more than I do the ps3.

bread's done
Back