Forum shuts down Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakomu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
after making a post and then an edit, I would press the back button to get back to the main forum, and already twice Firefox has given me an error and shut down. This happened while pressing back on the edit screen.

I'm using 1.0.7. It most certainly isn't my system, since I keep my computer EXTREMELY clean, and I reinstalled windows less than a month ago. The two times that Firefox screwed up have been the only two times that Firefox has screwed up like that before.

Also, the errors aren't consistent. I can't get the error to happen every time I edit a post.

[quote name='kakomu']
Also, the errors aren't consistent. I can't get the error to happen every time I edit a post.[/QUOTE]

Then its not the forum.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Then its not the forum.[/quote]
It is the forum. Two different times today, firefox shut down at approximately the same place, and has never shut down like that before. I'd say it has something to do with the forum.

[quote name='kakomu']I'm using 1.0.7. It most certainly isn't my system, since I keep my computer EXTREMELY clean, and I reinstalled windows less than a month ago. The two times that Firefox screwed up have been the only two times that Firefox has screwed up like that before.

Also, the errors aren't consistent. I can't get the error to happen every time I edit a post.[/QUOTE]
Then it's probably you, not the forum...

test
edit

Seems fine to me (firefox 1.5)
Maybe a good time for you to upgrade Firefox? Its got some good new features anyway.

[quote name='kakomu']It is the forum. Two different times today, firefox shut down at approximately the same place, and has never shut down like that before. I'd say it has something to do with the forum.[/QUOTE]

So lets get this straight.
• Out of the tens of thousands of users, it only happens to you.
• You cannot consistantly recreate the error
• Your firefox is out of date

And yet you say its not you. What am I missing here?

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']So lets get this straight.
• Out of the tens of thousands of users, it only happens to you.
• You cannot consistantly recreate the error
• Your firefox is out of date

And yet you say its not you. What am I missing here?[/quote]
Happened again, at the exact same place (trying to backspace from the "go advanced" edit option). It's not my fault because:
A) I didn't write Firefox
B) regardless of which date the browser I'm using is made, it shouldn't freeze it ever
C) I'm not running anything else that would cause the error, nor do I have any sort of virus, spyware, malware, etc on my computer.
D) Before the upgrade, the edit feature never shut down firefox, nor has any other forum I've been to done it either.

The rate at which the fourm closes my browser down is increasing and it's not just with editing a post. It's for when I click on the new reply button, or quote button rather than the quick reply. So, if I have a full screen post page, and I press back a few times after the post, Firefox can freeze.

Never once has this problem occured to me. Neither with previous versions of FF nor the version out currently. And I have some 30 extensions as well. It's your side of the end mao...er I mean kakomu.

[quote name='kakomu']The rate at which the fourm closes my browser down is increasing and it's not just with editing a post. It's for when I click on the new reply button, or quote button rather than the quick reply. So, if I have a full screen post page, and I press back a few times after the post, Firefox can freeze.[/quote]May I be so bold as to suggest upgrading your browser to the current version? The old version might have a problem with AJAX.

[quote name='CheapyD']May I be so bold as to suggest upgrading your browser to the current version? The old version might have a problem with AJAX.[/quote]
I didn't like Firefox 1.5. This is the latest version before 1.5.

[quote name='kakomu']I didn't like Firefox 1.5. This is the latest version before 1.5.[/quote]how is 1.5 any different from aside from improvements?
if you're going to mention memory leaks, most have been fixed in 1.5.0.1.

Try upgrading and see if it works

[quote name='LiquidNight']how is 1.5 any different from aside from improvements?
if you're going to mention memory leaks, most have been fixed in 1.5.0.1.

Try upgrading and see if it works[/quote]
A) It's not memory leaks that concern me
B) it's a whole multitude of quirky behavior that seems to have been added
C) Has anyone tried this with 1.0.7?
D) If no one feels like changing this, I'm just going to stop visiting the site.

[quote name='kakomu']A) It's not memory leaks that concern me
D) If no one feels like changing this, I'm just going to stop visiting the site.[/QUOTE]
waynegothen7ri.jpg

[quote name='kakomu']A) It's not memory leaks that concern me
D) If no one feels like changing this, I'm just going to stop visiting the site.[/QUOTE]

They DID change it. The bug with Firefox not being able to stay open when loading webpages has been fixed. Update Firefox to aquire this fix...since it's Firefox's buggy code and not the website's.

...dipshat

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']
waynegothen7ri.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Dankeshane (sp) Can someone explain to me how FF 1.5.0.1 is such a drastic change from 1.0.7 (no no I know all about the bug fixes and coding and what not, but I meant they basically look and feel the same with only minor changes I would say.

Can we close this? Clearly its on his end, we've proven that. He is unwilling to upgrade and dump a browser that isnt even supported anymore. And of the tens of thousands of people, he is the only one experiencing anything and yet he doesn't believe its him.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Can we close this? Clearly its on his end, we've proven that. He is unwilling to upgrade and dump a browser that isnt even supported anymore. And of the tens of thousands of people, he is the only one experiencing anything and yet he doesn't believe its him.[/quote] Until someone proves that this doesn't happen on the same browser as me, we can prove whose end it's on. Look at the thread. It's just people saying that it works with Firefox 1.5. Nothing about the same Browser as mine, which, essentially, proves nothing. Also, how can you say that older Firefox versions are "unsupported"? That's just poor and sloppy encoding.

[quote name='kakomu']Until someone proves that this doesn't happen on the same browser as me, we can prove whose end it's on. Look at the thread. It's just people saying that it works with Firefox 1.5. Nothing about the same Browser as mine, which, essentially, proves nothing. Also, how can you say that older Firefox versions are "unsupported"? That's just poor and sloppy encoding.[/QUOTE]
I would try it with 1.0.7, but the install I have here at work doesn't seem to want to work anymore. It loads but displays no home page and the buttons aren't clickable (though the tooltips work). Why are you using this version again?

And I just uninstalled and reinstalled it, same behavior. So no help here.

For the record, I just installed 1.5.0.1, and it works fine. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say 1.0.7 is not such a good build.

[quote name='kakomu']Until someone proves that this doesn't happen on the same browser as me, we can prove whose end it's on. Look at the thread. It's just people saying that it works with Firefox 1.5. Nothing about the same Browser as mine, which, essentially, proves nothing. Also, how can you say that older Firefox versions are "unsupported"? That's just poor and sloppy encoding.[/QUOTE]

Um, because you can't download it from firefox anymore, that's why. Just like Microsoft doesn't support win95, 98 or NT anymore. That's why. Look back on the thread you idiot. I said I tested it in 1.5 1.5.01 and 1.0. And I have not had one problem. I'm sorry that you have this freakish version of firefox that you think is the greatest even though its your fault for not wanting to upgrade. I hate to tell you but the reason that you can't download 1.07 is that THEY FIXED BUGS IN IT.

Let's say you trade in your old car but use your old tires on a new car. But then suddenly one of those OLD tires blows and you wreck the NEW car. Is that the car makers fault for not forcing you to be up to date with NEW, BETTER tires? Or is it yours for driving around on old tires...

You're being unreasonable and I'm sick of hearing you whine. I'll make sure to tell Quack and PAD you said "Hi." Ignore +1

Here's an idea.

Stop the back and forth sniping. Keep it on topic and this topic stays open. Otherwise, it's a simple thing to close it.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Um, because you can't download it from firefox anymore, that's why.[/quote] http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0.7/

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Just like Microsoft doesn't support win95, 98 or NT anymore.[/quote] 95 isn't supported anymore, but 98 still is.
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=6513
It should also be noted that specific versions of NT (pre v5) are still supported:
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3185

On top of which, versions of windows 95+ have all had extensive life cycles.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']That's why. Look back on the thread you idiot. I said I tested it in 1.5 1.5.01 and 1.0. And I have not had one problem. I'm sorry that you have this freakish version of firefox that you think is the greatest even though its your fault for not wanting to upgrade. I hate to tell you but the reason that you can't download 1.07 is that THEY FIXED BUGS IN IT.

Let's say you trade in your old car but use your old tires on a new car. But then suddenly one of those OLD tires blows and you wreck the NEW car. Is that the car makers fault for not forcing you to be up to date with NEW, BETTER tires? Or is it yours for driving around on old tires...

You're being unreasonable and I'm sick of hearing you whine. I'll make sure to tell Quack and PAD you said "Hi." Ignore +1[/quote] Anyways, I will present my case as a set of facts so that we can make this a bit more easy to understand.

A) Firefox, on my machine, does not freeze on ANY other website, nor has it since I reinstalled windows xp pro a month or two ago.
B) No spyware, malware or adware exists on this computer.
C) While the conditions to produce this error don't produce an error 100% of the time (or, I don't know the exact conditions), the conditions under which this error occurs are consistent.
D) All people have affirmed is that Firefox 1.5 seems not to produce an error. Only one person has even attempted to try with the version I use.
E) THis error has occured over 15 times delegating it from "minor annoyances" to "hindrance".

On to closing comments. Despite the "thousands" of users people have cited, a grand total of 470 visits to this thread have occured. That may be un-unique visitors, too. It would see that if only ONE website produces a substantial error and has done so multiple times, the error is caused by the website. On the subject of upgrading, since when should I HAVE to upgrade? It's not like Firefox 1.5 offers anything that Firefox 1.0.7 doesn't already have. Also, what if other users that don't contribute as much use the same browser as me and receive the same errors. Is it worth driving away users by stating that they should use an updated version of Firefox or get out and stop complaining? As much as I loathe to bring it up, compliance to standards in code are necessary so that you don't need to have a specific version of a browser to work. Theoretically, this site should be viewable on the first stable version of firefox and subsequent versions without any problem. Forcing an upgrade with sloppy code is hardly constructive.

Edit: And, of course, immediately after I posted this, I pressed back twice and firefox froze on me.

I tested with firefox 1.0.7

As I suspected, firefox 1.0.7 has a problem with AJAX when you click the Back button.
If you do not use the quick edit functions..(use "Go Advanced") you should be ok.
OR
If you don't use the Back button after using an AJAX function, you should be ok.

Really, I don't know what to tell you. I don't write this software and I can't "fix" it (as it's not broken).

I'm sorry if this is a deal breaker for you, but really, there is nothing I can do about it.

[quote name='CheapyD']I tested with firefox 1.0.7

As I suspected, firefox 1.0.7 has a problem with AJAX when you click the Back button.
If you do not use the quick edit functions..(use "Go Advanced") you should be ok.
OR
If you don't use the Back button after using an AJAX function, you should be ok.

Really, I don't know what to tell you. I don't write this software and I can't "fix" it (as it's not broken).

I'm sorry if this is a deal breaker for you, but really, there is nothing I can do about it.[/QUOTE]
Bugs in old versions of applications seem like a good reason to upgrade, but maybe that's just me.

[quote name='botticus']Bugs in old versions of applications seem like a good reason to upgrade, but maybe that's just me.[/QUOTE]
Funny...dude bitches about "standards and compliance" yet insists on clinging to an OUTDATED version of a web browser for dear life.

That's like a chef complaining about kitchen cleanliness then shitting on the food.

A little Sweeney-ing, just for fun...

It would see that if only ONE website produces a substantial error and has done so multiple times, the error is caused by the website.

The problem is caused by the shitty error-handling on the part of your outdated browser. Any browser that chokes and dies on a morsel of website code doesn't sound all that great.

It's not like Firefox 1.5 offers anything that Firefox 1.0.7 doesn't already have.

Besides bug-fixes and compatibility? I fail to see why you cling, despite your protests. It's not like it's a big download (if you're on dialup) and it's free. Memory leak issues from 1.5 were fixed in 1.5.0.1 if that's your concern.

Is it worth driving away users by stating that they should use an updated version of Firefox or get out and stop complaining?

You're the one that brought it up:

D) If no one feels like changing this, I'm just going to stop visiting the site.

Anyway, all in good fun, don't get your panties in a twist. Everyone gets Sweeney'd sometime.

And upgrade your damn browser, hippie! ;)

[quote name='CheapyD']I'm sorry if this is a deal breaker for you, but really, there is nothing I can do about it.[/quote]
Then, I'm gone.

The only one who can fix the problem is you. If you want to leave because you refuse to fix the problem you're having, then so be it.

So, does this mean you write angry letters to Microsoft when an XBOX 360 game won't play on your XBOX 1? Juuuuuuust wondering if you apply this brand of logic to EVERYthing.

[quote name='kakomu']Then, I'm gone.[/QUOTE]

WOHOO!

[quote name='Methane']The only one who can fix the problem is you. If you want to leave because you refuse to fix the problem you're having, then so be it.

So, does this mean you write angry letters to Microsoft when an XBOX 360 game won't play on your XBOX 1? Juuuuuuust wondering if you apply this brand of logic to EVERYthing.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, we've all been saying that since the beginning of the thread and yet its like talking to Helen Keller.

Testing in 1.0.7...

And results - nothing happened.

Edited and backed through it with no crash or lockup. Sounds like a random flub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back