found an iPod touch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

panzerfaust

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
it was just chilling there on the sidewalk near a very busy intersection. i figured the women ahead of me just dropped it but when i approached her and asked "did you drop anything back there?", she didn't know wtf I was talking about.

so i'm sitting here with an ipod touch that's key locked, what exactly can i do with it? i'd return it but i doubt ill ever find the person, is there a way i can just reboot it?

edit: and what if this is a phone? would i be able to tell? i have never been near one of these.

[quote name='panzerfaust']it was just chilling there on the sidewalk near a very busy intersection. i figured the women ahead of me just dropped it but when i approached her and asked "did you drop anything back there?", she didn't know wtf I was talking about.

so i'm sitting here with an ipod touch that's key locked, what exactly can i do with it? i'd return it but i doubt ill ever find the person, is there a way i can just reboot it?

edit: and what if this is a phone? would i be able to tell? i have never been near one of these.[/QUOTE]

Plug it in to a computer and restore it. I don't think you will be able to find out who it belonged to tho.

i remember reading that iphones can be traced. but itouch cant so yeah lucky u if its an itouch! lol

[quote name='panzerfaust']
edit: and what if this is a phone? would i be able to tell? i have never been near one of these.[/QUOTE]

it'll either say "iPod" or "iPhone" on the back.

[quote name='skullivan']it'll either say "iPod" or "iPhone" on the back.[/QUOTE]
oh, it's got some really tight skin on it -- i think ill just leave it on there

You can call apple to see if the serial number is registered. It would really suck if you would have lost one of those

Must of been your lucky day just to randomly find a Ipod Touch/IPhone i bet the person who lost it is going crazy i know i would.

I found a usb drive a few years back (they were still pretty valuable then) and was able to return to the owner by one of the files stored on it.

I would first look through some files, etc to get any contact info on the person or friends/relatives. If it's an iphone, it would be easy, but not sure how many people carry sensitive info in an ipod.

Anywho, I think you should make at least some effort to find the owner and then if you genuinely don't succeed, then well good for you.

If it's anything we have learned from the whole leaked Iphone4 incident, it is you have to make a full faith effort to find it's rightful owner.

Iphone has a camera on the back and an ear speaker opening above the screen. It also has the headphone jack on the top, while the ipod touch has the headphone jack on the bottom.

im getting an error when i try to do the Restore on itunes... "This device isn't eligible for the requested build"
edit: nvm, just had to update itunes

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='panzerfaust']im getting an error when i try to do the Restore on itunes... "This device isn't eligible for the requested build"
edit: nvm, just had to update itunes[/QUOTE]

damn at least call apple to check on it being registered... what if it was you? :roll:

lol i only just restored it 4 hours after finding it -- tried just about everything that's been suggested.

i could put flyers up around campus but ehh

[quote name='panzerfaust']lol i only just restored it 4 hours after finding it -- tried just about everything that's been suggested.

i could put flyers up around campus but ehh[/QUOTE]
If your gonna keep it you might want to buy a new case just to be safe. You would be lucky enough to run into the owner on the street with it out. Just in general though there can be all kinds of :booty:juice on it lol.

[quote name='panzerfaust']lol i only just restored it 4 hours after finding it -- tried just about everything that's been suggested.

i could put flyers up around campus but ehh[/QUOTE]

Won't there be an issue with this already being registered under another name?

Did you even look at any of the files on the iPod to see if it was registered or someone, or did you do the selfish thing and just ignore any attempts to trace who originally owned it? :p

couldn't look up files because it was locked, and as i said before ive tried every reasonable method to find info about the owner. apple told me to turn it in at a police station 0_0

i always return valuables i come across -- but ipods seem to be built for finders keepers, more money to apple i guess.

[quote name='panzerfaust']i restored it and a name never popped up besides "iPod", then i got to rename it...[/QUOTE]

Restoring is basically reformatting is to a hard-drive, you wiped it clean setting it back to the original settings. Hence why no name popped up besides "iPod"

Well, if Apple wasn't willing to see if it was registered to someone else and instructed you to turn it in to the police, I can't say I fault you for keeping it. But, maybe putting up a flyer and asking for a description might have been in order. That way, at least you would have given the actual owner a chance to get in touch with you.

[quote name='Achilles00']Well, if Apple wasn't willing to see if it was registered to someone else and instructed you to turn it in to the police, I can't say I fault you for keeping it. But, maybe putting up a flyer and asking for a description might have been in order. That way, at least you would have given the actual owner a chance to get in touch with you.[/QUOTE]
Apple doesn't keep track of owners of iPod Touches. Only iPhones, and even then you have to pay for their MobileMe service for them to really give a shit.

Well i found a way that you could have tracked your Ipod Touch by installing a app called Ipod tracker then when the person who stole it puts it in the computer who has internet access the program will send there IP address and send it to you i seen this in a article in the computer pretty cool.

[quote name='Gears24']Well i found a way that you could have tracked your Ipod Touch by installing a app called Ipod tracker then when the person who stole it puts it in the computer who has internet access the program will send there IP address and send it to you i seen this in a article in the computer pretty cool.[/QUOTE]
An IP address will do you very little good, especially if, for example, you're as paranoid as I am. Anytime I stumble across a random flash drive or something, and want to find the owner, I connect it to a computer not connected to my home network and block it from accessing anything by having a virtual machine take control of the device. This way I can try and figure out who the device belongs to, but it also prevents a virus or something from infecting my computers.

Some of you guys are being kind of harsh with the OP and should relax a bit. OP said he tried different things, and we should take his word for it. No need to criticize and accuse.

If he was interested in keeping it for himself from the beginning, he wouldn't have started this thread in the first place.

Harsh? Nah. OP only waited 4 freak'n hours before reformatting it -- which BTW was the reason this thread was started. To ask how.

Whatevs. I would have been devastated if I lost mine. But I also know that in this day and age, it's not likely anyone would do anything else but keep it.

maybe someday that person who lost it will find another one that someone else dropped. then everything will be squared out.

Yea, seriously. He tried to the best of his abilities and couldn't find the owner. What else is he supposed to do? Put up flyers and have about 400 people claiming to be the owner? It's not his responsibility to locate the owner of the thing anyways. You gave it a shot, enjoy your free ipod.

I agree. His options were limited, based on the fact he said the thing was password protected. Without the password, he had no way to get into any possible information on the owner. He claimed to have called Apple, and I would guess that they asked for the serial number (engraved on the back). If it was never registered, that's a dead end. Had the owner registered the thing, there's a good chance it would have been returned to them.

The only other option was stated above. Post fliers and get flooded with people making BS claims to it.

Yeah I have to agree here, and I ALWAYS return stuff if I am able to. Its his to keep, it was password protected, so he couldn't get into it. Its basically like finding money on the ground, if you try to turn it in, someone will just claim it for themselves, so the op might as well claim it since he was the finder of it. I don't think the police could do any good, and likely someone at the station would just end up keeping it for themselves. I don't think apple would track a lost iPod touch, there have been cases where they won't even track a lost iPhone.

I think the OP did the right thing. The thing was password protected and he formatted it. He said he called Apple. If he did good, if he didn't good. Apple charges people to know where your iphone is when they give away that information to advertisers so I don't think they are going to tell anyone who an ipod/iphone belongs to. I always thought about getting my name and number engraved on my ipods before so this might be a good reason. Considering an honest enough person finds it of course.

While I am not trying to judge anyone, I just felt like throwing out a scenario that happened to me 2 years ago my freshman year.

I had lost my 80GB Zune and was freaking out. It is my baby and I have it on me at all times. I was simply mentioning it to friends when someone overheard me in one of our on campus restaurants. He informed me of someone who had recently found one and was holding onto it until someone would claim it. I instantly when over to his room and was like "YOU FOUND MY ZUNE?!" He then proceeded to ask me a few questions about the Zune. I told him of the type of leather case and all of the Seinfeld episodes on there and he said yup, sounds like it is yours. He pulled it out of his drawer and gave it back to me, telling me he was planning on just holding onto it as he continued to try to find the owner.

That was a long story, sorry. But yeah I don't know, that is just me. I found a dollar the other day covered in dirt as I was walking to the gym and I took it. For the rest of the day I felt bad and kept imagining a little kid searching the sidewalk for his dollar that he dropped or something.

The statute of limitations is awfully short with some CAGs. It's laughable to think four hours is adequate before claiming finder's keeper. Would it have killed the OP to wait a full 24 hours? How about one week? The original owner might not have even realized they dropped it. Be aware of any Lost notices. Then, you can have at it if there isn't one within a reasonable time frame.

The bullshit about password protection and whatnot is an excuse. Reformatting is knowingly wiping out another identifying factor, and not trying to get owner info.

Face it. There was never any other intent than to find out how to keep it. Nice move to have CAG as an alibi that you tried -- since most agree with your minimal effort.

Congratulations. You are among kindred spirits.

Yeah the password would have been a great identifier too. Only the person who lost it would have known the password.

[quote name='panzerfaust']couldn't look up files because it was locked, and as i said before ive tried every reasonable method to find info about the owner. apple told me to turn it in at a police station 0_0

i always return valuables i come across -- but ipods seem to be built for finders keepers, more money to apple i guess.[/QUOTE]

What the hell makes you think that an ipod is any different than any other form of property? The fact that you found one? Not cool at all. :(

[quote name='panzerfaust']couldn't look up files because it was locked, and as i said before ive tried every reasonable method to find info about the owner. apple told me to turn it in at a police station 0_0

i always return valuables i come across -- but ipods seem to be built for finders keepers, more money to apple i guess.[/QUOTE]

I'd consider an ipod valuable. The fact that you wipe everything clean without attempting to find its owner really does look bad on your part. Hopefully nothing important was stored in it.

Anyhow, enjoy your ipod.

The reason apple told you to turn it into the police is because in almost every state in the US, YOU'RE REQUIRED BY LAW TO DO SO. Finding valuables over a certain amount (an Ipod touch would qualify as over that amount in just about every state) requires that you turn them into the police if you're not able to restore it to the owner after a good faith attempt.

After a certain amount of time in the possession of the police, if no one claims it, it becomes your property legally - no theft required.

The fact that OP has gone silent after being told how to wipe it clean is further proof that he's just a thief that was looking for help to keep the thing.

Those of you who think "finders keepers" is the right way to live would be PISSED if someone found and kept YOUR ipod. You'd probably feel pretty justified in kicking their ass if you ran into them with your device. And yet you seem to think it's okay for you to do the very same thing to other people?

Selfishness is the beginning of the end for a society. It gets FAR worse from here. Look at history. Learn from it before it's too late.

[quote name='sp00ge']I agree. His options were limited, based on the fact he said the thing was password protected. Without the password, he had no way to get into any possible information on the owner. He claimed to have called Apple, and I would guess that they asked for the serial number (engraved on the back). If it was never registered, that's a dead end. Had the owner registered the thing, there's a good chance it would have been returned to them.

The only other option was stated above. Post fliers and get flooded with people making BS claims to it.[/QUOTE]

Without the password, he had no way to get into any possible information on the owner......

Meaning had he not erased it to use the ipod, then he could've used that same reasoning to verify who the owner was. I'll agree that now fliers make no sense but previously you had a way to sort through BS claims.

My roommate lost his iphone thursday night and upgraded to iphone 4 the day after. I'm sure the owner isn't that devastated over it but it was a pretty weak attempt to "find" the owner of it.

I found an iphone 3gs at a store I work at two weeks ago.. I called someone on his contacts and they got in touch with him to come pick it up.

[quote name='Alex2290']I found an iphone 3gs at a store I work at two weeks ago.. I called someone on his contacts and they got in touch with him to come pick it up.[/QUOTE]

With an iPhone, the process is alot easier to get it back to the owner.

The OP should have waited a week to see if there were any fliers around the area saying it was lost, and reformatting was a bad move. I don't think the OP himself would have to post any fliers, however.

The real question is, what would you all do if you found $50 or less cash on the ground? Would you keep it? I actually don't know what I would do in this situation, since I have only run in to one dollar bills, which I always take, but larger bills... I dont know.

I've seen fliers posted for lost Ipods before, and if I found one properly describing the one I found, I wouldn't hesitate to return it. I shouldn't be expected to print out fliers and put them in every high traffic area around town though. I did indeed wipe the password, but things like the case and wallpaper I remember, so fliers are still an option anyways.

So if I'm not willing to do that then perhaps I am a terrible person. I picked the thing up in broad day light, asked someone like 50 yards ahead of me if it was their's -- and continued to walk with it in my hand so it could be in plain view if the person came running around a corner looking for it. I plugged it in to a computer to find a name, but it didn't show. I even called Apple, which is a blatantly saying, "hey I want to return this."

So if that's not enough, and if all of you would do even more to find the owner of a really nice device or equivalently a clip of $200, then you really are amazing people. But if you've never been in this situation and are calling me one of the many "selfish" people that are ruining the world, then please, go fuck yourself.

Lost_ipod_touch.jpg

Only 4hrs... ? FAIL. On the other hand... CrApple owners aren't to bright when it comes to keeping tabs on their CrApple devices...

[quote name='sasukekun']
Lost_ipod_touch.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Tsk. Tsk. That would NEVER fall under the criteria of having enough details. They didn't even list the contents... oh wait.

Shucks, I'm sure the owner would be grateful that some kind stranger helped them get rid of all those pesky songs, videos, settings, contacts and games that they wasted their time loading up.

OP has seen 'Lost' iPod fliers before. That says a lot to me.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I've seen fliers posted for lost Ipods before, and if I found one properly describing the one I found, I wouldn't hesitate to return it. I shouldn't be expected to print out fliers and put them in every high traffic area around town though. I did indeed wipe the password, but things like the case and wallpaper I remember, so fliers are still an option anyways.

So if I'm not willing to do that then perhaps I am a terrible person. I picked the thing up in broad day light, asked someone like 50 yards ahead of me if it was their's -- and continued to walk with it in my hand so it could be in plain view if the person came running around a corner looking for it. I plugged it in to a computer to find a name, but it didn't show. I even called Apple, which is a blatantly saying, "hey I want to return this."

So if that's not enough, and if all of you would do even more to find the owner of a really nice device or equivalently a clip of $200, then you really are amazing people. But if you've never been in this situation and are calling me one of the many "selfish" people that are ruining the world, then please, go fuck yourself.[/QUOTE]

LOL.... You need to read this story here.

Dateline with Chris Hanson: Stolen Ipod Story (Yes, finding an unattended ipod laying around and keeping it, is considered theft in the story.)

Don't be surprise if he comes knocking on your door in a month.
Chris Hanson: Why don't you have a sit right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back