FPS Preference-Twitch or Realistic?

sniping_dreamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I categorize first-person shooters into two groups: Quake [Twitch]-style, and Realistic.

To give you a general idea, Twitch-style would be more like Quake series [obviously], Unreal Tournament 2004, [I think] Halo.

Realistic is the Call of Duties, Battlefield series, Counter-Strike, etc.

I personally prefer playing Quake-style games. They are generally high-speed, has a bigger importance for aim, and who doesn't love a good ol' deathmatch? I play realistic FPSs...but most of the time, when I'm tired of my teammates being idiots/spawn camped/sucking at CS, I go play some Warsow or Soldat and just frag in deathmatch.

What's your preference?

Last edited by a moderator:
Realistic I guess as I've never been into Quake or Unreal Tournament and loved games like Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty 4, Bioshock etc. that are a bit slower paced.

Can't I have a combination of the two? I always thought Rainbow Six could be pretty twitchy and it's certainly got its realism down.

It can be a bit of both, I guess.

All FPS really require twitch skills, but there's a difference between the requirement of twitch with games like Quake III Team Arena and Call of Duty 4.

I tend to prefer the twitch style because players usually focus on playing instead of camping and waiting for the other side to make a move, turning the game into sniper whack-a-mole like Call of Duty 4. That and twitch style games tend to have respawns on a more consistent basis which keeps the pace of the game interesting unlike most realism games where in my experience, I'll play for about 30 secs to 1 min. then die and possibly have to wait another 30 secs or more before I can play again. Makes it boring to play really fast.

EDIT: Oh yeah one last thing. The other reason I prefer twitch style is because you can actually take a couple of hits without dying. I swear it seems like every realistic game I've played, I take one hit and almost all my health is gone. So two hits and I'm basically dead. Yeah, not fun.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Also, pretty much the only even remotely "realistic" FPS is Red Orchestra, honestly.[/quote]

You guys know what I mean by realistic. It doesn't have to be insanely realistic; just have to make it so that people are running at the speed of light, jumping like maniacs while holding an impossible-in-real-life-to-carry minigun.

EDIT: Oh yeah one last thing. The other reason I prefer twitch style is because you can actually take a couple of hits without dying. I swear it seems like every realistic game I've played, I take one hit and almost all my health is gone. So two hits and I'm basically dead. Yeah, not fun.
It kinda works backwards at the same time. It takes a while to frag someone. But hey, it beats waiting for 30 second respawn times!

I got tired of playing Quake, Unreal, and the like. Most of the time it's just people jumping around constantly with rocket launcers.

Twitch.

Focuses more on a players control of the keyboard/mouse instead of tactical advantage.

I think TF2 is a decent blend. Certain classes play like more "realistic" shooters, and real men use the Scout :)

Both. Hardly anything beats a really well done twitch shooter, but most of the time I prefer something somewhat realistic for the tension. I miss the old Rainbow Six games.

Halo is not even remotely twitch. It looks like slo-mo compared to games like Unreal Tournament 3.

I like both, personally. It depends on my mood.

I don't know if twitch or realistic is quite the right distinction. I think a lot of developers changed to a slower paced shooter when the genre started transitioning to the console from the pc to compensate for a controller that was an inherently slower interface. You'll find most of the older pc shooters, and the ones geared toward pc tournament play are closer to what you call twitch, while the multiplatform shooters are probably closer to what you call realistic.

It doesn't matter to me. As long as the game-play is balanced in a way that puts skill at a premium as opposed to using one supernaturally strong weapon (glares at COD 4's M16) and plays well I'm happy.

I love it all! As long as the online multiplayer aspect is good, I'll enjoy it. I love fast moving deathmatch, and slower, more tactical play.

I hardly ever play the single player portion of an FPS.

I think pretty much all FPS have some twitch in them

I play a lot of CS:S and use the scout pshh a lot of twitch there :]

Just depends on the games speed but pretty much at a higher level of play your reactions are so fast it's all twitch :]

bread's done
Back