Frames not right; weird characters too.

W.arner1281

CAGiversary!
Feedback
179 (100%)
Lately I've been getting weird problems viewing CAG (and only CAG) from my home computer. It's been doing things like moving frames around (see example below) and putting in all sorts of weird characters (also see below). I didn't do anything directly before this started happening. I tried upgrading to the newest IE software, but it didn't help matters much. Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure this is a problem with my computer since I don't have this problem at work (also using IE). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Semi-related to all this, I'm also having problems with the buttons when I'm trying to post a message/reply. I can't use any of the buttons (bold, spoiler, switch editor mode, etc.). I try and click, but nothing happens. I see the pictures of the buttons, but there's no functionality to them. What's going on??

Really strange...no problems on my end (firefox). Just tried with IE too and was able to use the editing buttons as well.

Panda, are you using IE too?

Can I get some more details of the problem?

Not really sure how else to describe it. I'll take some more screen shots when I get a chance tonight. In the meantime, I tried updating java, but that didn't help either.

Cheapy, I'm using Firefox and I didn't get these errors til just the other day. I actually thought the site got hacked..

So as you can see, the text is not in the correct format. And also for the 2nd and 4th pictures, the forum appears and re-appears depending on how the website feels, sometimes its in the right spot, sometimes is all the way down the page. Also in the 3rd photo, you can see just some of character issues too.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Cheapy, I'm using Firefox and I didn't get these errors til just the other day. I actually thought the site got hacked..

So as you can see, the text is not in the correct format. And also for the 2nd and 4th pictures, the forum appears and re-appears depending on how the website feels, sometimes its in the right spot, sometimes is all the way down the page. Also in the 3rd photo, you can see just some of character issues too.[/quote]
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm getting as well (although I seem to gt more examples of it on any one page. Beyond that, I'm still having the issue with the buttons not functioning in the post a message part. And for some reason everything is showing as HTML for me (ie- when I quote someone, everything is preceded by "< + p + >" and there are those &nbsp things, etc. I assume that I could get rid of that if I could switch editor modes, but well... that would be one of those buttons.

Is this problem happening all the time or only once in a while?

These seems to be isolated incidents, otherwise we'd be having a lot more posts in this thread.

[quote name='CheapyD']Is this problem happening all the time or only once in a while?

These seems to be isolated incidents, otherwise we'd be having a lot more posts in this thread.[/QUOTE]

The CAG front page for me seems to look permanently like the 4th picture for some reason. Just yesterday everything looked great, but late last night things got weird. I also come across the weird HTML text and frame issues in the forum, but they are not permanent like the CAG home page.

Things I would like to know to see if we can find a common denominator.

1. OS (vista, xp whatever)
2. Browser (along with version)
3. Any firewall or Adware software you run
4. Any recent updates you may have made
5. URL of the page that this has happened
6. Source code of the page with the problem ...if possible just copy and paste it here or if you wish PM me the source. The source code MUST be from the page when it is displaying incorrectly.

We will see if we can work on getting this narrowed down a bit.

1. Windows XP
2. Firefox 2.0.0.3
3. Windows Firewall
4. I just updated Firefox to the new version, but I encountered this problem before that point. I did run Spybot the other day and deleted some stuff...
5. www.cheapassgamer.com

I sent the source to you defender.

EDIT: Actually it tells me there's too much text (I'm roughly 50,000+ characters over). So I'm not sure how you want it.

I actually also just checked to see how it looked using IE, and it loads correctly...strange.

This is happening all the time. I can be viewing a page and it'll be messed up one way. I'll hit refresh and the frames/characters that were messed up before will be fixed, but instead other frames and characters are messed up. And by the way, my CAG front page doesn't look like pic 4, but I do get the messed up frames/characters issue.
1. XP
2. Internet Explorer (IE6 and IE7)
3. Cox High Speed Internet Firewall
4. All updates performed were after this began (updated java, updated IE, windows update)
5. Every page I go to on CAG (Home page, any forum page, any thread, any page in that thread). the URL for the thread pictured below is http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=136. Here's an example of a bad page with source code e-mailed to [email protected] (since it's too big to fit in the post).

And since every time I try to edit a post it's a pain in the ass x2, I'll say it in a new post... Everytime I try to edit a post, it shows me everything in HTML. Not sure if that's something related or completely unrelated but it's huge pain.

[quote name='CheapyD']Is your browser Character Encoding set to Western (ISO)?
Do you have similar problems on other vBulletin forums?
www.neogaf.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

How about trying a different browser (just for a test)?[/quote]
Character encoding is currently (and has always been) set to Western European (ISO). I tried switching to a few other settings to see if anything would change, but no dice. I don't have the problem on other vBulletin boards, just CAG. :whistle2:(

I'm now posting this edit from firefox and sure enough I still have all the same problems (frames, characters, buttons, etc.).

Yeah. I used IE just to check and CAG loads up perfectly, but with Firefox not so much.

I also don't have these problems with other vBulletin sites.

Update: So the CAG frontpage looks normal again for me. But the actual forum pages seem to be having even more issues with weird text and frame issues. Very strange. Also, none of the drop down menus work for me. By that I mean, I can't hover over a user's name and have the list of options pop up. The Menu, Shop, and Search buttons at the top also have stopped showing me a list.

I'm sure you guys are working on this, but any ideas as to what other things we can check out to see what's wrong on our end? I've messed with a bunch of settings in IE and java to see if anything would change (for better or worse), but I've gotten nothing (and then of course put everything back the way it was). Do you guys know if people from other vBulletin boards have reported similar issues?

any solutions, suggestions, or other help? The html showing up in my edit's has gone away (I think that was a user setting that I was able to change). However, I still have the frames issue, random characters, and radio buttons are non-functional. All the regular buttons work fine. Just the radio buttons that don't work.

Lastly, here's an example (zoomed in using broswer settings) of one of the icons that ALWAYS looks like this (even though it's not supposed to). It's got that wavy thing at the bottom instead of saying "HOT". Not sure if this helps, but I'm just trying to give you anything that might help you fix it.

I'm on my computer at home and everything works great...but on my laptop the weird characters and frame issues still show up. I have no idea what the issue because it went from literally working one moment to not working the next.

Yeah, I've tried messing with pretty much every setting I can find. The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried yet is reinstalling windows. That'll be my project for this weekend.

[quote name='CheapyD']Sorry, but we aren't able to recreate the problem so I don't really know what I can do at this point.[/QUOTE]

Just recreate cheapassgamer on a whole new server with a whole new domain. Oh yeah, and do it from scratch ;-). Should solve the problem. If I ever figure out what the problem is, I'll update this thread.

Digging up this old thread cause... well cause I can. In any case, couple of updates.

1) The frame issues have gone away. Everything lines up just fine now. Been that way for a couple of weeks now. I don't think it was anything I did on my end since I gave up on the problem and admitted defeat. So whatever the site designers did, thank you.

2) I figured out a way around the stupid HTML issues I am having when posting or editing posts. Under the User CP, you just have to set the editor to Standard and it'll make the HTML stuff disappear.

3) The only issue (that I can't work around) that remains is the fact that none of the radio buttons work for me. If I click on them, nothing happens. I can't even use the "more" link below the smileys to see the code for them so I can put them in manually. Oh well. Just thought I'd throw out the update and thank you guys for whatever you did (or didn't) do.

bread's done
Back