Frank Frazetta, legendary fantasy artist, passes away at 82

CoffeeEdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Frank Frazetta, painter of the most badbass beastly manly dark fantasy shit you can imagine, died as a result of a stroke this morning, in a hospital near his home. He was 82.

If you know who Frazetta is, you know that we've lost a legendary fantasy artist. If you're not familiar with the name, he was an amazing painter born out of the comic world, who went on to single-handedly define an entire subgenre of fantasy art. The men were brawny and ripped beyond reality, packing steel, and often depicted in the act of owning the shit out of some savages or hellbeasts (that, or glaring menacingly at the viewer), and the women (incoming NSFW links) were fleshy, usually lacking much clothing (but hey, so were the men, usually), had wild hair and distinctly large butts (a Frazetta trademark), and even the frailest-looking of them looked like they could probably have kicked your ass.

His work appeared on many a Conan the Barbarian and Tarzan paperback and comic book cover, and many a Molly Hatchet album sleeve, and of course, he did many standalone paintings. He even collaborated with Ralph Bakshi on an (underrated, in my opinion) animated film called Fire and Ice, in the early '80s. His work is wildly influential, and the "look" of modern dark fantasy would not be what it is today, were it not for Frank Frazetta. Hell, even Zelda wouldn't look the same (check out the first paragraph under the "Fantasy Made Reality" header), were it not for him.

Anyone interested in learning more about the man should absolutely check out the fantastic documentary Frazetta: Painting with Fire. His work was visceral, violent, and erotic, but still nuanced and detailed, widely imitated but never surpassed. The world has lost a cornerstone of modern fantasy art. Rest in peace.

selfportrait01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really going to miss the big tittied white women in bikini paintings...

J/K. The man was a legend and inspired too many filims/toys/comics to list here for you unbelieving heathens

I'm guilty of forgetting about him in the next few days but thanks for the links anyways. I can certainly at least appreciate him for the time before he leaves my memory.

Amazing artist, one of the greats. R.I.P.

I still have his a few issues the Death Dealer series which he did the covers for.

I had a tshirt of the Death Dealer back in high school. I always felt like kicking asses while wearing that shirt.

bread's done
Back