Free $15 gift card with xcom preorder at Best buy

I tried to preorder this in store when I pick up RE6 and the system is not letting me do it. To made sure i have the retail copy as I am bandwidth limited, i preorder from newegg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darnit - I bit. Could no longer resist.

Thankfully Best Buy still has their 100% trade in credit promo going, so by ditching both Black Ops and Battlefield 3, I put that $48 towards XCOM - after tax and with the $15 gift card for pre-ordering, I essentially get this for $2. (I also picked up Black Ops and BF3 on Goozex ages ago, so...okay, I probably spent closer to $25 real dollars - fine by me.)

Though I'm trying to amass enough credit to put a sizable dent in a new computer, XCOM makes me weak. And it's a weakness to be savored. =)

That it's being made by Firaxis comforts me to no end. The 9.5 review over at GameInformer closed the deal (though their love of RE6 baffles me).

[quote name='Kylearan']Darnit - I bit. Could no longer resist.

Thankfully Best Buy still has their 100% trade in credit promo going, so by ditching both Black Ops and Battlefield 3, I put that $48 towards XCOM - after tax and with the $15 gift card for pre-ordering, I essentially get this for $2. (I also picked up Black Ops and BF3 on Goozex ages ago, so...okay, I probably spent closer to $25 real dollars - fine by me.)

Though I'm trying to amass enough credit to put a sizable dent in a new computer, XCOM makes me weak. And it's a weakness to be savored. =)

That it's being made by Firaxis comforts me to no end. The 9.5 review over at GameInformer closed the deal (though their love of RE6 baffles me).[/QUOTE]

amazon is also offering a similar deal, but with $15 amazon promo credit, since bestbuy sold out of pc version.

Picked one up since I just got $30 in RZ certificates. Using credit for the rest and should be able to price match before Dec.

[quote name='YBX87']amazon is also offering a similar deal, but with $15 amazon promo credit, since bestbuy sold out of pc version.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw that - only problem is that Amazon is not guaranteeing release-day delivery, not without ponying up another $3.99. I can play it on Tuesday, but not again until Sunday, so if I wanna get my feet wet on Tuesday, best option is in-store pickup at BB.

my $15 gc arrived today. I pre-ordered last week sometime. That was fast! I also got my $25 RZ certificate for the Fifa 2013 today (Silver member and gamers club unlocked, so I get 2x RZ points and 25% extra on top of that, so I've been getting $25 RZ certs).

Question for veteran XCOM-ers... Does your CAG mind think this will game drop fast?

Throughout this gen, history shows other 2K games have dropped very fast: Darkness II, Mafia II, Bioshock, etc. Or do you think because it is such an epic 'waiting for years' title that they will keep the price relatively MSRP-ish.

I never played the original back in the day. But this game looks awesome -- I just want to hear your thoughts...

[quote name='Kylearan']Exactly - everyone loved the original X-Com. Why on earth were we getting an FPS?

That's like taking the classic Shadowrun RPG and turning it into an online shooter.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause:

Big fan of the Xcom & UFO series, but the inner cheap ass is screaming at me to hold off for a price drop that is sure to come in the next month or two.

Last year I bought a few games around this time period and right after TRU, Amazon, and Target had "B2G1" or "3 games for $4x" sales.

[quote name='KrizB']Big fan of the Xcom & UFO series, but the inner cheap ass is screaming at me to hold off for a price drop that is sure to come in the next month or two.

Last year I bought a few games around this time period and right after TRU, Amazon, and Target had "B2G1" or "3 games for $4x" sales.[/QUOTE]

I think this is going to drop like a rock on its own. I love TBS (especially HOMM 3), but there is really no market for these games any longer. I would pre-order in a heartbeat if I thought that would have any bearing on getting more TBS games made, but I just can't see that happening.

[quote name='Kylearan']Exactly - everyone loved the original X-Com. Why on earth were we getting an FPS?

That's like taking the classic Shadowrun RPG and turning it into an online shooter.[/QUOTE]

EA had no problem turning Syndicate into a crap FPS game.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']Stealing a $15 gift card? Keeping this community classy.[/QUOTE]

LOL. New forum Cheap Ass Thieves. We only steal stuff that's on sale!! :hot:

[quote name='KrizB']Big fan of the Xcom & UFO series, but the inner cheap ass is screaming at me to hold off for a price drop that is sure to come in the next month or two.
[/QUOTE]
So why not just preorder for the gift card and then price match when it drops?

So why not just preorder for the gift card and then price match when it drops?

Was thinking this exact same thing. I PM everything at BB, so a $15 GC is the same as cash for me. Plus, as a Silver Rewards member, 60day return policy = guaranteed to be covered if it crashes in price.

^ Yeah, that's what I've been thinking and wondering about too. Which is why I'm tempted to go ahead and go pre-order it, and get a price adjustment if it drops.

I normally don't get console games on PC if I can get them for PS3, but with it being the SE it's kind of hard to pass up.

Don't try and do this in store. I went today and the girl said that since they had already received their copies, they could not honor this. So YMMV

yea i found it odd that i got my gift card in yesterday.. but the games not out yet.. so couldnt i theoretically have not bothered with the game and just used the free gift card? i expected to get it AFTER xcom released lol

^ Right lol, that's even better though since you just pre-ordered it.

If you pre-order it online, they'll put a hold on your card, right? Unless you do in store and pay the $5?

when i preorder and do in store pickup, i pay for it online. maybe $5 is how they do it if u preorder AT the store, but i preorder online always and just do instore pickup, then when i pick it up my card gets charged. done. just got resident evil on tues that way.

Sorry for the noob ass question, but if I buy the physical PC version, can I just install off disc, then redeem on Steam? Does Steam automatically detect that you've installed the game?

[quote name='GrimmTrixX']when i preorder and do in store pickup, i pay for it online. maybe $5 is how they do it if u preorder AT the store, but i preorder online always and just do instore pickup, then when i pick it up my card gets charged. done. just got resident evil on tues that way.[/QUOTE]
Got it, thanks.

So happy I saw this thread - I'd been holding on to a BB GC for months for this game, and I was hoping for some kind of preorder deal. This is one of the very rare moments when I don't care so much about being a CAG; I'll buy this day 1 to get a new console SRPG, even though I know this will likely be way cheaper in 3-4 weeks. Thanks, OP!

[quote name='spatenfloot']So why not just preorder for the gift card and then price match when it drops?[/QUOTE]
Eh?

[quote name='honzoh']Was thinking this exact same thing. I PM everything at BB, so a $15 GC is the same as cash for me. Plus, as a Silver Rewards member, 60day return policy = guaranteed to be covered if it crashes in price.[/QUOTE]

Oh...
Did not know they did that.

Guess I should have mentioned that I was talking about Amazon in a Best Buy thread...
#-o

Oh...
Did not know they did that.

Yeah, BB has become the place for all my gaming habits lately. Most of the hot titles have preorder GC's attached to them now, and with the 60day return policy, there's very little 'risk' in a title if/when it drops.

^BTW, I think you might be able to double dip with Visa/Mastercard pricematching. My brother pricematched a laptop with his credit card company because the Microsoft Store denied the pricematch. Then Micrcosoft decided to go ahead with the pricematch later in an email.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']Sorry for the noob ass question, but if I buy the physical PC version, can I just install off disc, then redeem on Steam? Does Steam automatically detect that you've installed the game?[/QUOTE]
Yes you install the game off the disc, during the install process it asks you login to steam and type in the cd-key which adds it to your account. After that it installs all files off disc and steam updates the game if there's any day 1 patches. It should work like that if the process is same since the last time I bought a retail steam was Half-Life 2.

[quote name='usagi']Yes you install the game off the disc, during the install process it asks you login to steam and type in the cd-key which adds it to your account. After that it installs all files off disc and steam updates the game if there's any day 1 patches. It should work like that if the process is same since the last time I bought a retail steam was Half-Life 2.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, bro.

Feel like this game will sell well on PC, but console gamers won't be buying.

Will wait and see how the game plays with controller and then pick up when its 29.99 in a few weeks

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Feel like this game will sell well on PC, but console gamers won't be buying.

Will wait and see how the game plays with controller and then pick up when its 29.99 in a few weeks[/QUOTE]

There's a demo on Steam. People have been saying that it controls very well with a controller and arguably better than kb/m.

^I thought so as well.

Played the demo on Steam and then ordered the game a short time later.

It's +26 miles to the nearest Best Buy and gas is around $5 a gallon, checked ahead to see if they were offering the GC before making the trip (nope). So I ordered off Amazon with some GC I had from Bing and Borderlands 2.

[quote name='KrizB']^I thought so as well.

Played the demo on Steam and then ordered the game a short time later.

It's +26 miles to the nearest Best Buy and gas is around $5 a gallon, checked ahead to see if they were offering the GC before making the trip (nope). So I ordered off Amazon with some GC I had from Bing and Borderlands 2.[/QUOTE]

You could have ordered online and got it ship to store. They mail the gift card, I got mine already. On Tuesday I will go pick it up.

Man I am in a bind... I know someone who is selling Euro key with TF2 and Civ 5 preorder bonus for $35. But my att dsl bandwidth is pretty low at 150 and i am at 65% mark so even if I got the key I won;t be able to download it till the cycle reset in like 2 weeks. He claim the key will work fine for NA. On the other hand, the amazon preorder with 15 credit is nice too and I don;t need to worry about the bandwidth... what do u guys think?

Have already gotten the BB email that it'll be ready for pickup in the morning. Can't freakin' wait! Glad I have a short day tomorrow!

I'm not convinced the price on XCOM will do any quick deep diving, any more than I believe Dishonored will. XCOM is coming from Firaxis, the folks behind Civilization and Pirates!. Neither of those dropped in price quickly, and Civilization, released in 2008, has still not dipped below $15. That's pretty solid for a title 4 years old. (And Pirates! on the original XBOX still auctions off for $10-$20.)

It'd be a mistake to confuse 2K Games (the publisher) with Firaxis (the developer) on this one. XCOM won't follow the Darkness II pattern. If XCOM is anything like the original (and we already know it is), the replayability will be stellar. Only folks trading this one in will be folks who don't like this type of game.

[quote name='Kylearan']Have already gotten the BB email that it'll be ready for pickup in the morning. Can't freakin' wait! Glad I have a short day tomorrow!

I'm not convinced the price on XCOM will do any quick deep diving, any more than I believe Dishonored will. XCOM is coming from Firaxis, the folks behind Civilization and Pirates!. Neither of those dropped in price quickly, and Civilization, released in 2008, has still not dipped below $15. That's pretty solid for a title 4 years old. (And Pirates! on the original XBOX still auctions off for $10-$20.)

It'd be a mistake to confuse 2K Games (the publisher) with Firaxis (the developer) on this one. XCOM won't follow the Darkness II pattern. If XCOM is anything like the original (and we already know it is), the replayability will be stellar. Only folks trading this one in will be folks who don't like this type of game.[/QUOTE]

but the truth is that ppl who does not like turn based strategy games would not even buy this game in the first place. most of the ppl who are going to buy this game are those die-hards fan / or ppl who enjoyed the original xcom games .

[quote name='Kylearan']I'm not convinced the price on XCOM will do any quick deep diving, any more than I believe Dishonored will. XCOM is coming from Firaxis, the folks behind Civilization and Pirates!. Neither of those dropped in price quickly, and Civilization, released in 2008, has still not dipped below $15. That's pretty solid for a title 4 years old. (And Pirates! on the original XBOX still auctions off for $10-$20.)[/QUOTE]

Well, Civ V came out in 2010. They didn't drop the price until July 2011 when the list price became $29.99. (Which is still is at.)

Looking at history, Civ V only went 25% off during the winter Steam sale in 2010, so you can probably expect to wait 9 months at least to get a deal on XCOM.

Picking up the ps3 version in less than 12 hours

I

CAN

NOT

BELIEVE IT

first game at full price this gen minus the $10 RZ coupon, of course

:beer:

Hmm. You guys think the $15 card will be available when it's released? I I'm hoping pc version becomes available for store pickup with card

edit: gift card got removed from the site :(

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jinque']Has anyone who ordered for shipping ship out yet?[/QUOTE]

I ordered yesterday, they sent it out same day, and it'll arrive by end of tomorrow (I'm silver).

I preordered yesterday and the gift card shipped ysterday already. I will be picking up the game at the store, but did not recieved any email with the Preorder DLC code, will that be in the box or are you guys getting the DLC by email?

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Feel like this game will sell well on PC, but console gamers won't be buying.

Will wait and see how the game plays with controller and then pick up when its 29.99 in a few weeks[/QUOTE]

that is why i preordered the ps3 version, i think the console versions will go down in price quickly. "strategy" and "console gaming" just dont go well together. hoping for a price match in the $45 range (come on TRU). already put the $15 giftcard to good use with the max payne $20 DOTD.

Did anyone get the Preorder bonus for the PS3 version? I didn't get it when I picked the game up and I haven't received any emails about it after about 6 hours.

[quote name='jaydude84']Did anyone get the Preorder bonus for the PS3 version? I didn't get it when I picked the game up and I haven't received any emails about it after about 6 hours.[/QUOTE]
i thought the preorder bouns is inside the game?

[quote name='YBX87']i thought the preorder bouns is inside the game?[/QUOTE]

That's what I've been hearing, but it's not within my game. I guess I'm going to contact Best Buy support, but I'm not really sure how to plead my case.

[quote name='YBX87']i thought the preorder bouns is inside the game?[/QUOTE]

My Xbox version has a sticker indicating that. I haven't opened it to confirm.

[quote name='pacifickarma']My Xbox version has a sticker indicating that. I haven't opened it to confirm.[/QUOTE]
i just opened my ps3 version, and confirmed the code is on a online pass code paper inside the game, n the youtube video i just watched confirmed xbox 360 version has the code on a paper inside.

[quote name='YBX87']i just opened my ps3 version, and confirmed the code is on a online pass code paper inside the game, n the youtube video i just watched confirmed xbox 360 version has the code on a paper inside.[/QUOTE]

Did the Ps3 version have a sticker on the outside indicating that?

Because I also got one that had nothing inside and Im pretty peeved about it...

Gonna go exchange it for one that does

bread's done
Back