Free 160 MS Points - Check your mail (extremely YMMV?*)

MirageStrike

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Received this from xbox.com not so long ago.
94280818.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tigerpants']weird, mine didn't have a redeem code.[/QUOTE]
Neither did mine. OP must have been lucky - here's the fine print (emphasis mine):
Offer good only for named recipient of this e-mail with Xbox LIVE Marketplace offer from Microsoft. Limit: one (1) gift per person. To qualify for your gift, you must purchase one video during the promotion period (February 12, 2010-February 26, 2010). Open only to legal residents, age 13 and older, of the 50 United States (includes Washington, D.C.). This offer is nontransferable. This offer expires on February 26, 2010, while supplies last, and is not redeemable for cash. Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the recipient.Please allow 4-6 weeks after the promotion period ends for direct deposit of your gift to your account. We will drop you an in-dash message to let you know that you've got the points.

That's strange.. I don't recall doing anything out of the ordinary. Just the same routine of MWF2 and backlog of games. I did activate a 12month a few months back if that's anything.

[quote name='dwb6']how did u get this? is it becuase you buy movies?[/QUOTE]
I'd never.. :roll:

[quote name='NickNorman']Neither did mine. OP must have been lucky - here's the fine print (emphasis mine):[/QUOTE]
Where do you see this? Mine says something else.
* Offer good only for named recipient of this e-mail with Xbox LIVE Video Marketplace offer from Microsoft. Limit: one (1) gift per person (code valid for one-time use only). Open only to legal residents, age 17 and older, of the 50 United States (includes Washington, D.C.). This offer is nontransferable. This offer is not redeemable for cash. Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the recipient. Any gift returned as nondeliverable will not be re-sent.

[quote name='chickenbutt']I just got it, but it says I have to watch a video with someone. Nobody watches videos on my buddy list =/[/QUOTE]

add me u have nextflix

[quote name='chickenbutt']I just got it, but it says I have to watch a video with someone. Nobody watches videos on my buddy list =/[/QUOTE]
That's not an actual condition of the offer. That's just part of the valentine theme.

It's a shame that they're restricted to the recipient's account. I never participate in these movie promos, so it would be nice if I could pass it along to someone who would.

Whoa, I totally missed the fact that MirageStrike received a redeemable code. My offer is the same as NickNorman's. Different markets I guess.

[quote name='NoDAK']That's not an actual condition of the offer. That's just part of the valentine theme.

It's a shame that they're restricted to the recipient's account. I never participate in these movie promos, so it would be nice if I could pass it along to someone who would.

Whoa, I totally missed the fact that MirageStrike received a redeemable code. My offer is the same as NickNorman's. Different markets I guess.[/QUOTE]

Oh. I see. So I'm suppose to buy a video off them to get the points right? The watching it with someone isn't suppose to be over Xbox Live right?

I never get anything from them... They must not love me, despite how much money I've put into their system. :( ...I feel like a filthy, underappreciated whore.

From what I understand looking at this there's only a few movies to choose from and it's really just refunding you 160 ms points from your original purchase, something I really hate... to me not very interesting as say actually getting 160 free ms points. And I thought maybe someone actually cared for me once on Valentine's Day :(
The movies seem to be: Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, Paranormal Activity,The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Ugly Truth, Corpse Bride, The Hangover, Inglorious Basterds, Public Enemies, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard

Though I could be all wrong about this who knows...

and of course I didn't get this one as usual. M$ really should give gold members a general discount on everything, or monthly points to spend on something.

[quote name='Kush']I never get anything from them... They must not love me, despite how much money I've put into their system. :( ...I feel like a filthy, underappreciated whore.[/QUOTE]

This. Been on XBL for five years and I never get any of these promos.

[quote name='life.exe']This. Been on XBL for five years and I never get any of these promos.[/QUOTE]

same here, but 7 years for me. as it is, they messed that up and when I went from having an account on the original xbox to a 360 launch I lost 2 years of service somehow which hasn't been able to be recovered to this day so it says i'm still a member on my profile for 5 years but in their system they know it's 7 weird.

you should change the title, these are in no WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM free

It should say free movie with email or something of that nature

I got the e-mail that NickNorman got, the one that says I have to buy a video from them to qualify for my "gift" in the fine print. I love how misleading the subject line of the e-mail is: "Have 160 points on us to enjoy V-Day your way" :bs:

The mail I received came with a code.. I simply went to the redemption page and popped it in for 160 points. Am I seriously the only one who has gotten this? I'll change the title to avoid anymore confusion.

Got the e-mail but no code.

I followed the instructions in the linked page yesterday:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/events/valentinesday/default.htm

HOW TO GET YOUR MOVIE
1. Start your Xbox 360.
2. Sign in to your Xbox LIVE account.
3. Find I Heart Xbox in the Spotlight channel and choose your movie.
4. Instantly stream and enjoy.

I found the "I Heart Xbox" promo box in the Spotlight channel, but I assumed when I selected it there would be a promo mentioning this points offer. There wasn't. I also had assumed I had to purchase one of the movies listed on that page, but from reading this and the XBox forum thread, it seems that's not true.

So here's how I *think* this works:
  1. Purchase *any* movie (not just the ones in the e-mail/landing page)
  2. The purchase can be done *any* way through the Dashboard (not just via the "I Heart Xbox" in "Spotlight", which would probably limit your choice to a movie featured there.)
  3. The "purchase" can be rent as well as buy.
  4. The viewing method can be "download" as well as "stream"? (the instructions above only mention streaming; I'd rather download for best quality)
  5. Do all the above by 2/26 and, assuming you received the 160 points e-mail, you'll get 160 points 4-6 weeks after the promo ends.
Anybody know any differently?

I think the only thing I know for sure is that this has to be one of the most poorly communicated promos in history.

bread's done
Back