Free 6-Month Blockbuster Total Access

apathylad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm not very familiar with Total Access, but I learned about this promotion over at NeoGaf.

You signup here:

https://t.co/s3I4dXMR

It will ask for a form of payment, and you can check the expiration date in your account, which will probably be in January 2013.

The NeoGaf thread will likely answer some questions you may have. It's one game or movie at a time. The selection seems very limited, but hey, a 6-month trial is very good.

UPDATE:

Okay, the deal originally stated that we would get unlimited rentals for six months after we sign up. Unfortunately, the service seems to have limited this deal to two rentals per mail and two instore exchanges per month. Some CAGs have said they contacted customer service about this, and I still haven't gotten my third shipment, so it looks like it may be true. It's a bummer, but at least we still get to use the service for the six months.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jigsaw918']didn't see a clear answer to someone's question earlier, but i have the same one. All the games online that I want to rent are Long Wait so I'm wondering if I can just go into the store since it says they have all of them in stock now. What's the deal with that? Can we just go in the store and get it or do we have to use the slow online service?[/QUOTE]

Well I just looked all over the site and it seems you can only do that for movies not games instore

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']Well I just looked all over the site and it seems you can only do that for movies not games instore[/QUOTE]
Hmmm turns out it doesn't matter for me... There's no blockbuster's left in my area. I guess that last one on the other side of town finally closed.

Signed up. Going to check out a few blurays. The trick, at least for me, in getting certain games was to have an available slot when the title you want is available for rent (ex: Prototype 2 is available 8/7, I believe). If you've got a slot, chances are you'll get it (I remember getting Elder Scrolls V the day it was available and holding on to it for a month).

[quote name='jigsaw918']didn't see a clear answer to someone's question earlier, but i have the same one. All the games online that I want to rent are Long Wait so I'm wondering if I can just go into the store since it says they have all of them in stock now. What's the deal with that? Can we just go in the store and get it or do we have to use the slow online service?[/QUOTE]

No you can't just go in and get it. It shows if a store has it (and I don't know if it's updated in real time or not) so you could go to the store and pay to rent the item. You have to take an online rental to a store to exchange it for a movie or .99 game.

Worked for me. I did a 1 or 2 free month trial a year or so ago and the whole thing was TERRIBLE but for 6 free months and low expectations, I'm in. Just had to make a new account with a new card. Done and done. Thanks.

[quote name='Brash_Attack']Worked for me. I did a 1 or 2 free month trial a year or so ago and the whole thing was TERRIBLE but for 6 free months and low expectations, I'm in. Just had to make a new account with a new card. Done and done. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I threw some games in there... hopefully I get one of them in this 6 month period but I'm not going to hold my breath. They're all "Very long wait"...

Yes and know. you can't go to the store and pick up a game or movie if you're not returning one. If you are however returning something that you got through the mail then the packet acts like a coupon for a free rental. So what you need to do is have them sending you a movie or game in the mail then take that to the store and swap it for something you want that is in stock.

[quote name='ooga']Yes and know. you can't go to the store and pick up a game or movie if you're not returning one. If you are however returning something that you got through the mail then the packet acts like a coupon for a free rental. So what you need to do is have them sending you a movie or game in the mail then take that to the store and swap it for something you want that is in stock.[/QUOTE]

Can you exchange it for a game? From what I read from the site it is only unlimited instore movie exchanges.

[quote name='Woocls']I threw some games in there... hopefully I get one of them in this 6 month period but I'm not going to hold my breath. They're all "Very long wait"...[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking I'll do ok. Most of my queue is made up of older games since all the new/popular ones I already own. I'm just using this to get through some of those older titles I never played like Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions and Kane & Lynch 2. I added things like Dark Souls and Dead Rising 2: Off The Record but I'm not holding my breath on those.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']Can you exchange it for a game? From what I read from the site it is only unlimited instore movie exchanges.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you can.

If the top of my queue is a game that has a "very long wait" or "unknown availability" will they skip to the next game in my queue or just make me wait until the first game becomes available?

[quote name='Brash_Attack']If the top of my queue is a game that has a "very long wait" or "unknown availability" will they skip to the next game in my queue or just make me wait until the first game becomes available?[/QUOTE]

I really hope they follow Gameflys style. I wish they would just used "low availability" instead of "long wait" because it could mean two things.

[quote name='Brash_Attack']If the top of my queue is a game that has a "very long wait" or "unknown availability" will they skip to the next game in my queue or just make me wait until the first game becomes available?[/QUOTE]

Whatever is available next in your queue, they will ship.

skip to the next one

Just signed up. I got the welcome back message (even though I don't think I have ever been a member), but checked my billing date and it says Jan. 18th 2013. Hopefully everything worked out, I plan on exchanging a ton of movies since there is a bb right behind my gf's house. Thanks op.

Not quite as good as the free 3 month/ 3 disc at a time plan that was floating around a few months ago, but still pretty solid.

lol@people saying this deal sucks. They must have missed the part where it was free..

question: I don't have a member card or anything. How do I go to the store to pick up a movie/trade them out? Have to make a separate account or something. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity how hard is it to cancel the subscription? I've had trouble canceling these types of things before.

[quote name='Woocls']Just out of curiosity how hard is it to cancel the subscription? I've had trouble canceling these types of things before.[/QUOTE]

You literally go into your "My Account" page and click cancel subscription.

[quote name='NEP']You literally go into your "My Account" page and click cancel subscription.[/QUOTE]
Sweet. I was hoping that's how it worked but I thought that was how xbox live worked and was wrong...

[quote name='Woocls']Sweet. I was hoping that's how it worked but I thought that was how xbox live worked and was wrong...[/QUOTE]

It is just like Gamefly, easy peasy, no hassle. I hated Xbox live as they charged me for 4 extra months AFTER I cancelled. Every time I called them they said it was cancelled and every time in my bank account they had it charged. Shortly after that I bought a PS3.

Any suggestions on how to sign up for this after having a previous trial (I did the 3 disc/ 2 month trial)?

I've tried signing it up under my wife's name and get the "you are a previous member" message. Does this run simply off of the mailing address already existing in their system? Can I toss an Apt. 0 onto the address with my wife's name and bypass their address check? My concern is if I proceed with that method the mail will be returned to blockbuster since there really isn't an Apt. 0 at my address.

I'm fine with not getting this offer because it's free, but I really wouldn't mind getting in on it again for 6 months...

Awesome deal. I had blockbuster about 5 years ago for DVD rentals. Eventually switched the netflix because their selection was better. But, considering blockbuster has games and it's 6 months free is amazing.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']If he likes to play online he is going to need a 10 dollar pass to play[/QUOTE]

Concerning Battlefield 3: Well, he can't play online anyway because it is an EA game (they lock out kids accounts from any sort of online, even for E-rated games). So my point was that he wanted me to spend $40 at GS to get the game even knowing he couldn't even play it online. If I get just that one game from this BBV 6-month "trial" it is worth the hassle vs paying $40 the game ;).

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Any suggestions on how to sign up for this after having a previous trial (I did the 3 disc/ 2 month trial)?

I've tried signing it up under my wife's name and get the "you are a previous member" message. Does this run simply off of the mailing address already existing in their system? Can I toss an Apt. 0 onto the address with my wife's name and bypass their address check? My concern is if I proceed with that method the mail will be returned to blockbuster since there really isn't an Apt. 0 at my address.

I'm fine with not getting this offer because it's free, but I really wouldn't mind getting in on it again for 6 months...[/QUOTE]

I dunno - I signed up using just a different email address and it worked just fine. Used the same shipping address as my Total Access plan that I had for all of 2 weeks (before my BBV shut down). I have yet to link a store account but probably won't bother if you have to bring things back to the store as well - 2 20-mile round trips for rentals, even if they are "free", isn't really worth it.

Odd thing though - my account is fine but I don't seem to be getting any email from them. Not even anything for signing up. You guys getting stuff from them? On the other hand, I still get emails from my old defunct Total Access account which hasn't been active since January. I used a different email but they should both get sent to the same place.

Glad I saw this, I have BBuster 2 blocks from my house. :) Thanks for postin! Oh, and I must have used the email before as it said welcome back and when I checked the account it confirmed next bill date 6 months away. :D

Ended up signing up with a different email address I gues and it ended up charging my card 10.76 for one month of service... even though it said free month trial.. calling to figure out what is going on...

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Ended up signing up with a different email address I gues and it ended up charging my card 10.76 for one month of service... even though it said free month trial.. calling to figure out what is going on...[/QUOTE]

cause you were a member before...good luck getting the cash back cause i had a hell of a time lat time

[quote name='slidecage']cause you were a member before...good luck getting the cash back cause i had a hell of a time lat time[/QUOTE]

Apparently that link is to their dead promotion of a free month, so watch your cards in case they fix the glitch. They fixed mine apparently.

I just called and explained my situation, and since my account was already cancelled they just credited the 10.76 I spent back to my account. I'll see in a few days if it does actually show back up, but it was fairly painless.

If I recall correctly, didn't you have trouble getting cash back because you kept games/movies beyond the 30 days after your subscription was canceled and they charged you for them?

*EDIT* Might have been someone else in that other thread about the 2month free trial, so if it's not you I apologize in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
All this promotion did for me was make me miss my gamefly account... I may just use this for movies since nothing I really want to play is listed as "available". I put 26 games in my que (going through the entire catalog) and only 2 are listed as available. And both of those were mediocre games I could pick up for a couple bucks used.

Anybody else have my problem where they keep sending out games/movies even after you cancelled? I cancelled last week and they are still sending me games. I checked earlier and saw they shipped one out today. Was this because I had like 20 games on my queue?

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Any suggestions on how to sign up for this after having a previous trial (I did the 3 disc/ 2 month trial)?

I'm fine with not getting this offer because it's free, but I really wouldn't mind getting in on it again for 6 months...[/QUOTE]

I had to log back into my previous account and change the addresses (maybe both billing and shipping? I can't remember). I live in an apt complex, so I just took off the apartment number, changed it by one, what have you. Signed up for a new trial, with a different email, and using my real address worked fine for me after that!

Will have a game to me by Thurs or Friday. Only took two days to ship out my first game. Granted, these are older, not so great games. But still ones I'd be willing to give some time to.

[quote name='Chuck Stank']Anybody else have my problem where they keep sending out games/movies even after you cancelled? I cancelled last week and they are still sending me games. I checked earlier and saw they shipped one out today. Was this because I had like 20 games on my queue?[/QUOTE]
Check your account information... maybe you're paid up through a later date. Are they still billing you?

I too have a bill date in mid-January. I had to use a different email address from when I was a paying customer many years ago, but this seems like a sweet deal. So if I understand it right, I wait for a game/movie by mail, then if I want to return it in store, I can rent a movie/game from the store, and once I return that, my next item in the queue will ship...is that right?

Thanks for the heads up, OP! I did the 2 month 3 discs out at a time deal before... it recognized me as a previous user, but i bypassed it by putting my Paypal account. WOOT! Awesome.

[quote name='berzirk']I too have a bill date in mid-January. I had to use a different email address from when I was a paying customer many years ago, but this seems like a sweet deal. So if I understand it right, I wait for a game/movie by mail, then if I want to return it in store, I can rent a movie/game from the store, and once I return that, my next item in the queue will ship...is that right?[/QUOTE]

Only caveat here is when exchanging for games in-store, you still have to pay (a discounted price supposedly). Renting games online is part of the subscription, though.

[quote name='Woocls']Check your account information... maybe you're paid up through a later date. Are they still billing you?[/QUOTE]

It says N/A under the next billing date. This was the free 2 month trial.

[quote name='Chuck Stank']Anybody else have my problem where they keep sending out games/movies even after you cancelled? I cancelled last week and they are still sending me games. I checked earlier and saw they shipped one out today. Was this because I had like 20 games on my queue?[/QUOTE]

I still get a game once a month, I think you get one per month for life or a year, something like that. I don't see it as a problem as long as your not getting charged. I used a pre-paid Visa that had a dollar on it to start my account.

Not sure how they can afford all these 6 month trials. Maybe they think people will buy more used dvds from them? I didn't get a welcome email yet or anything.

Man, 20 games in my queue and not a single one of them is "available now". You'd think you would bulk up your inventory a bit when running a promotion like this.

bread's done
Back