Free Avatar 3D when purchasing Panasonic 3D Blu-ray Player

Darknyss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Previously, the only way to get Avatar 3D (excluding eBay) was by purchasing a Panasonic Viera 3D TV bundle. However, from now until March 26, 2011 when you buy the DMP-BDT100 blu-ray player you are also eligible to get the Avatar 3D blu-ray by mail.

[quote name='Amazon.com']Get a Bonus Avatar 3D Blu-ray Disc with a Qualifying Panasonic 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Receive a bonus Avatar 3D Blu-ray Disc free with mail-in rebate when you purchase a qualifying Panasonic DMP-BDT100 HD 3D Blu-ray Disc player from Amazon.com. Offer ends March 26, 2011 or while supplies last. Restrictions apply. Learn more[/QUOTE]

Product Link

Since Avatar 3D isn't coming to retail for another year and I've been eyeing a second BD player, this is really tempting!

Edit:

Info from Panasonic website

avatar_landing_page_v5_banner.jpg

Rebate Link

I don't see anything on the rebate form claiming it needs to be purchased from an authorized retailer. As msu89dawgs pointed out, it can be purchased from East Coast TV's for $136.22 after using coupon PAYCHECK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad...current Amazon price is $158.90. Too bad I already own a PS3 and BD-C6900 Samsung 3D player that came with my TV bundle. I would like to see Avatar 3D

You can also get it if you made a prior purchase of said TV bundle from March to mid-November of last year, as a "thank you".

Buy the player, sell it as "used like new" (since you have to cut out the UPC or serial# or something for the rebate). At the end, you're looking at $30-$50 copy of Avatar 3D. Thanks OP for the info though.

It's definitely a great buy for those don't have a BD player.

hmmm... I really wanna do this then sale the player... I have some cred saved up and I really want Avatar... but I just can't justify the purchase since christmas... If this deal sticks around though.... maybe later still thanks OP for the info...

[quote name='doubledown']Not bad...current Amazon price is $158.90. Too bad I already own a PS3 and BD-C6900 Samsung 3D player that came with my TV bundle. I would like to see Avatar 3D[/QUOTE]

Have you tried using the PS3 as a 3D movie viewer? Do the movies look as good as they do on your dedicated player, or are the movies down-rezzed?

Better off waiting for another year.

The Avatar 3D you get is just the bare bones movie version.

No extra supplements or features, just the movie.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']Have you tried using the PS3 as a 3D movie viewer? Do the movies look as good as they do on your dedicated player, or are the movies down-rezzed?[/QUOTE]
I have used both a PS3 and a stand alone player for watching 3D content and there really aren't any noticeable differences between the two. The two major differences are that the PS3 will not play lossless audio (PCM instead of DTS-HD Master) and 3D effects are turned off when the pop-up menu is accessed. The misnomer that the PS3 cannot do 1080p in 3D is false.

[quote name='Darknyss']I have used both a PS3 and a stand alone player for watching 3D content and there really aren't any noticeable differences between the two. The two major differences are that the PS3 will not play lossless audio (PCM instead of DTS-HD Master) and 3D effects are turned off when the pop-up menu is accessed. The misnomer that the PS3 cannot do 1080p in 3D is false.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 does do lossless audio. Unlike most blu ray players though it does the decoding in the player versus at the receiver and sends it as a lossless linear PCM file. Set audio output to HDMI and LPCM at 24 bits and 96kHz to transfer DTS-HD. The only difference is how your received displays the audio format.

I think he was referring to the fact the PS3 can't do lossless audio AND 3D at the same time. For that reason alone I went ahead and brought a dedicated blu-ray player when I got my new 3DTV over the holidays =)

Just picked one up from Eastcoasttvs.com, $136.22 shipped. Lowest price on a Google search, and they have great buyer feedback. The promotion isn't tied to Amazon.com.

[quote name='Serpentor']
It's definitely a great buy for those don't have a BD player.[/QUOTE]

I know, semantics, but great is a little strong, even if this was the last 3D BD version of this you would ever buy. And it won't be, as a previous post describes.

[quote name='Darknyss']I have used both a PS3 and a stand alone player for watching 3D content and there really aren't any noticeable differences between the two. The two major differences are that the PS3 will not play lossless audio (PCM instead of DTS-HD Master) and 3D effects are turned off when the pop-up menu is accessed. The misnomer that the PS3 cannot do 1080p in 3D is false.[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear. Now I don't necessarily need to feel locked into one of the package deals. There are some decent open box deals on Amazon Wherehouse now.

[quote name='dacool561']I think he was referring to the fact the PS3 can't do lossless audio AND 3D at the same time. For that reason alone I went ahead and brought a dedicated blu-ray player when I got my new 3DTV over the holidays =)[/QUOTE]

Did not know that and very good info to know, so thank you. I'm sure that's something that'll be fixed with a firmware upgrade though, which is why I stand behind PS3 being the best blu ray player to buy. Only '06 blu ray that can do netflix, 3d, and more. I see the first gen 3d blu ray players becoming outdated just like past blu rays were, which is why I'm hesitant to suggest them even though I sell them and they make me money.

As for Avatar in 3D, it looks amazing on BD. Better 3D effects even compared to theaters due to the active shutter glasses. Though it's much busier then most 3D discs I've seen and shows the weakness in motion on most of the 3D tvs out there. Only bit of reference material I've seen that could fault the Sony NX810, and goes to show why the VT was the highest rated TV last year.

Considering it took about 3 months for the Coraline EXCLUSIVE 3D to make it to the retail side, I'd would expect the same for ALL exclusive deals. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to wait for a few months to see if Avatar comes to retail.

[quote name='sunnysky']Considering it took about 3 months for the Coraline EXCLUSIVE 3D to make it to the retail side, I'd would expect the same for ALL exclusive deals. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to wait for a few months to see if Avatar comes to retail.[/QUOTE]
Every movie is different. You can't assume all of these exclusive deals will be just like Coraline.

Avatar 3D is exclusive to Panasonic until February 2012.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5617

[quote name='sunnysky']Considering it took about 3 months for the Coraline EXCLUSIVE 3D to make it to the retail side, I'd would expect the same for ALL exclusive deals. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to wait for a few months to see if Avatar comes to retail.[/QUOTE]

None of the former Samsung/Dreamworks exclusive titles are available at retail yet.

Well, if 3D does fail in the long run, I will directly blame the studios for making these ridiculous exclusive deals as one (of the many) big reasons for it's failure.

bread's done
Back