Free Beer! heheh

DantheApe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I was coming out from kroger today with my groceries when I spotted a box from a 12 pack of beer bottles [honey brown was the name on it] under a cart next to my car. I thought "oh someone loaded a cooler and left trash" but when I bumped the said cart I heard bottles clanking. Sure enough it appears that someone forgot their 12 pack...the thing was still cold [in 90 degree weather no less the bottles were still ice cold...i figure they hadn't been there long]

I know I know, not a strict CAG deal but hey, free beer is free beer...I could've taken em back in but meh it's saturday and I haven't reached my beer quota for the weekend yet

awesome.. i find 12 packs of soda all the time... i figured someone paid for it and left it they probably aren't goign to come back for it and giving it to the store means they make double profit so i just take it.

not that i drink, but i hang out with alot of crusties/squatters, theres ALWAYS ways to get free beer, look in to it ^^

[quote name='punqsux']not that i drink, but i hang out with alot of crusties/squatters, theres ALWAYS ways to get free beer, look in to it ^^[/QUOTE]

do tell =)

basically, (if theres a beer manufacterer around you this works even better, but a simple gas station of convenience store will do) when a package a beer is damaged, like opened or something, (a 12 pack, 24 pack, ect.) the whole thing has to be disposed of and considered contaminated. translation: dumpster diving.

now squatters do go to somewhat less than moral means to make sure beer ends up in the dumpsters, you can use your imagination and use your own discression,obviously.

but just check dumpsters late at night, never know what you'll find ^^

Something like that happened to me before(although it was soda, not beer). Did some shopping at Meijer and grabbed a 24 pack of Coca-Cola while I was there. While in the checkout line, I told the cashier to add the 24 pack so I wouldn't have to get it out of the cart(which she said she would). Paid and didn't think anything about it until I got home. I started to look at the receipt and noticed that she didn't add the soda on there. Although I felt bad for not noticing it earlier, there really wasn't anything to do(can't exactly take it back) and basically got a free case of Coke on that trip.

[quote name='punqsux']but just check dumpsters late at night, never know what you'll find ^^[/QUOTE]

Ladies and gentlemen, witness punqsux: pinnacle of Cheap-Assery.

[quote name='DantheApe']I was coming out from kroger today with my groceries when I spotted a box from a 12 pack of beer bottles [honey brown was the name on it] under a cart next to my car. I thought "oh someone loaded a cooler and left trash" but when I bumped the said cart I heard bottles clanking. Sure enough it appears that someone forgot their 12 pack...the thing was still cold [in 90 degree weather no less the bottles were still ice cold...i figure they hadn't been there long]

I know I know, not a strict CAG deal but hey, free beer is free beer...I could've taken em back in but meh it's saturday and I haven't reached my beer quota for the weekend yet[/QUOTE]

Damn, you asshole, that was my beer!!

You're damn right it wasn't there that long, I realized it wasn't in my truck about two to three minutes after leaving the parking lot, and I go back and it's GONE.

fuck, I had to buy another 12 pack now, thanks alot.

[quote name='Ledhed']Ladies and gentlemen, witness punqsux: pinnacle of Cheap-Assery.[/QUOTE]
are you telling me none of you have ever gone dumpster diving?

theres a dumpster outside boarders thats used for nothing but expired magazines, they just tear the covers off and toss them.

[quote name='punqsux']are you telling me none of you have ever gone dumpster diving?

theres a dumpster outside boarders thats used for nothing but expired magazines, they just tear the covers off and toss them.[/QUOTE]
I know for a fact that one of the best places to dumpster dive is a grocery store. I worked at one and everyday we had to toss out bakery items cause they had been there for 3 days or so. Tons of cakes, cookies, bread... never did it myself since I wanted to keep my job, but definitely something to look for. I worked at Publix by the way.

Never in a million years will I ever dumpster dive for food/drinks. Just the thought of it being in there (even if it isn't contaminated) just puts any thought of me going through it. Although if it was items that weren't edible, I'd go through it. Actually, I was at my local GameCrazy a few months ago and they just recently cleared out some Dreamcast stuff that HQ told them to throw out. There was a TON of DC controllers, Gamesharks, VMUs and misc. accessories. It was broad daylight and the dumpster was pretty much out in the open, so someone can spot you going through it if you did. I had planned to go grab some loot later that night, but completely forgot about it. :?

[quote name='punqsux']by the way, dumpster diving is illegal, not endorsed by cag, yadda yadda yadda[/QUOTE]

If the trash is on public property, then I'm pretty sure it's legal.

Dumpster diving isn't cheap-ass, it's just nasty. At least roll around in baking soda afterwards. But to each his own.

i used to do similar things (as punq described) when i worked at BJs Wholesale Club 5 years or so ago....a couple of co-workers and i would just damage a big bag of candy or beef jerky whenever we got hungry..."oops, we accidently dropped this box of candy...now we can't sell it"....that would than mean it had to go back to receiving...where of course it was free for all workers to snack on...i loved that job to death...too bad it was the only job i ever was fired from :cry:

[quote name='punqsux']are you telling me none of you have ever gone dumpster diving?

theres a dumpster outside boarders thats used for nothing but expired magazines, they just tear the covers off and toss them.[/QUOTE]

TXboxGuY tip: "Dumpster" diving at the local post office lobby after hours. Technically, not a dumpster, just trash cans with liners. There's nothing really nasty in there either. People just toss there "junk mail" after checking their P.O. boxes. So anyways . . . (see pic). I'll be eating half-price Ciabattas @ JitB all summer. :razz:

[quote name='MadChedar0']If the trash is on public property, then I'm pretty sure it's legal.[/QUOTE]

true, but usually dumpsters are behind stores, which is private property, i mean unless youre just picking trash up off the streets, thats legal ^^

[quote name='AngellicLulu']I know for a fact that one of the best places to dumpster dive is a grocery store. I worked at one and everyday we had to toss out bakery items cause they had been there for 3 days or so. Tons of cakes, cookies, bread... never did it myself since I wanted to keep my job, but definitely something to look for. I worked at Publix by the way.[/QUOTE]
again, ive known people to survive off this stuff, and very easily too, i myself have never dupmster dived for anything other than recreation (since i cant for the life of me ever remember getting anything really worthwhile) but its a way of life for some people.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']TXboxGuY tip: "Dumpster" diving at the local post office lobby after hours. Technically, not a dumpster, just trash cans with liners. There's nothing really nasty in there either. People just toss there "junk mail" after checking their P.O. boxes. So anyways . . . (see pic). I'll be eating half-price Ciabattas @ JitB all summer. :razz:

[/QUOTE]
very nicely done!

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']i used to do similar things (as punq described) when i worked at BJs Wholesale Club 5 years or so ago....a couple of co-workers and i would just damage a big bag of candy or beef jerky whenever we got hungry..."oops, we accidently dropped this box of candy...now we can't sell it"....that would than mean it had to go back to receiving...where of course it was free for all workers to snack on...i loved that job to death...too bad it was the only job i ever was fired from :cry:[/QUOTE]

:rofl: This just cracked me up. I can only imagine you doing this. Sounds like fun.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']:rofl: This just cracked me up. I can only imagine you doing this. Sounds like fun.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this is common in any food place. I did it at the super market I worked at all the time.

This topic is like extreme cheapness. I cant say I have ever taken things from a dumpster, however at the end of Spring Semester, people throw a lot of shiz like furniture away. Ive gotten chairs, (nice) couches, and a DVD stand this way. They just dont have enough room to take it home.

My brother worked at a party store a few months ago. One day they were getting rid of a bunch of those bags of fun size packets of candy. They were still good, they just didn't have the space for them. He rescued them and we ended up with 200 pounds of M&Ms, Kit-Kats, Reese's cups, rice crispy treats, and some others.

That was a chance thing. He went mainly for old computer stuff. Some how he got 2 21 inch monitors and one 19 monitor out of a computer store dumpster. Those suckers were heavy I don't know how he did it. The sad thing is, only the 19 inch worked.

I'm starting to dive now too. I haven't really done much since I don't have any space.

I also remember this score from a dumpster diving board. This guy was checking out a liquor store dumpster and found at least 10-20 of those wines that come in a box.

[quote name='Socheata']Never in a million years will I ever dumpster dive for food/drinks. Just the thought of it being in there (even if it isn't contaminated) just puts any thought of me going through it. Although if it was items that weren't edible, I'd go through it. Actually, I was at my local GameCrazy a few months ago and they just recently cleared out some Dreamcast stuff that HQ told them to throw out. There was a TON of DC controllers, Gamesharks, VMUs and misc. accessories. It was broad daylight and the dumpster was pretty much out in the open, so someone can spot you going through it if you did. I had planned to go grab some loot later that night, but completely forgot about it. :?[/QUOTE]

I don't know about your local gamecrazy, but at the one I work at, the DM comes and smashes those things with a hammer before dumping them, to prevent that from happening. It broke my heart to see all those N64 and Dreamcast accessories getting smashed.. You might just have one with a DM who doesn't care.

[quote name='jer7583']I don't know about your local gamecrazy, but at the one I work at, the DM comes and smashes those things with a hammer before dumping them, to prevent that from happening. It broke my heart to see all those N64 and Dreamcast accessories getting smashed.. You might just have one with a DM who doesn't care.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I didn't know they were in the dumpster until the employees told me about it. Seriously, here's how our convo went:

Me: Hey, you have any more Dreamcast stuff in the back?
Employee 1: Actually, we just threw some stuff out in the dumpster. *points toward the location of where it was located*
Employee 2: Yeah, if you don't mind digging in the trash, you can get yourself Gamesharks, controllers, fishing rods...all for free.
Me: Really?!
Employee 1: Oh yeah. There's also some VMUs and rumble packs too.

You want good trash hand-outs? Get work at an RV place. My brother used to detail them, and he tells me the people who got em spends oozes of money to load them up with fancy crap, and throw away the fancy crap had before. The right timing cna get you some good stuff.

Best example: A couple of people bought a 24 inch (maybe bigger, I don't remember) flatscreen TV for their RV. After it was all hooked in and tested, excactly ONE dead pixel was found. So- they decided to throw out their broken TV. One of my bro's co-workers asked to keep it, they said OK. The best part- when she got it home and running, the dead pixel ws gone. So, free flatscreen TV. :D

One time I was driving by a Toys R Us and I saw something that was hanging out of the dumpster...they used to have a Space Lego display with a huge Flying Saucer, and they just threw it in the garbage. MY friends and I went and grabbed it, porbably wighted close to 70 pounds and was about 2.5 feet across. It was the coolest lego thing I ever had. Then of course I go away to college and my mom throws it in the garbage...

LOL.... when is the dumpster diving OTT going to begin?

I remember when we rented a dumpster to get rid of a bunch of stuff from my mom's house. we weren't even done and this guy and his kid were already going through it.

bread's done
Back