Free Cell Phones

Ub3rChief

CAGiversary!
Minus the BS (contractual obligations, etc.). Any way to get my hands on one of these, or am I just dreaming? Never had a cell phone before and I'd like to get one, preferably free.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give.

Well in order to get service you usually have to sign a contract (unless you can find a provider that will let you pay month to month). Unless you're talking about prepaid you're dreaming....

Yeah, I know, kind of like Cable. Prepaid is one option I was thinking of, but if there were any contract deals that didn't cost $30 and up a month I'd be fine with that too.

Should've said I'm looking for a free phone that doesn't screw me over too much with the contract deal, but I haven't found one of those yet. I'm looking to pay under $300 a year for the cell phone bill, but I suspect I won't be that lucky.

Thanks for that, and anybody else have anything to contribute?

The lowest I've seen individually is $30 for T-Mobile, although they may have gotten rid of it. You could always join a family plan for $20.

Family plan? That sounds pretty good, since I've got a family member or two who'd love a cell phone too. Thanks.

How often would you be using your cell phone?

To me it sounds like you want one just to have one.

If that is the case then you should go prepaid.

I used to have Virgin Moible and they let you buy this card which was $90 and buy it made your account active for 12 months.

Even though I don't think its possible to use just $90 of air time in 1 year, unless if you hardly used your phone.

But that might be for you.

Free phones are only free because you sign a contract. I'd suggest going to FatWallet and searching for "SERO" on their forums. They have a huge thread about SERO, the Sprint Employee Referral Offer, that has the email address and what not for signing up for SERO. Since it is designed for employees of Sprint and their friends and families, their are some wicked deals to be had including free phones and painfully cheap monthly plans. I pay $30 a month for 500 minutes, free nights and weekends, free Sprint PCS Vision (broadband), and free calls to any other Sprint wireless subscriber. I also get free text messages (because I'm a student) and got a free Razr V3M.

^Great deal but you do have to sign a contract to get the FREE phone. And since you are so young as to never have had a phone, I'm going to assume you have not much in the way of credit. So, you may have to pay a small deposit.

Alright Valor, I'll look into that. Thanks for all of the replies. And yeah, under 18 = no credit as far as I'm aware, so yep.

Edit: Hmm. Samsung MM-A900M, Razr V3M are free online but not with the SERO plan? Bah.
Valor, if I end up doing this SERO thing, would you give me your phone # for the referral thing?

[quote name='Ub3rChief']Alright Valor, I'll look into that. Thanks for all of the replies. And yeah, under 18 = no credit as far as I'm aware, so yep.

Edit: Hmm. Samsung MM-A900M, Razr V3M are free online but not with the SERO plan? Bah.
Valor, if I end up doing this SERO thing, would you give me your phone # for the referral thing?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I sure will. Then we'll each get $25 for referral! Also, since you are young and have little or no credit, Sprint will charge you a deposit. Sprint seems to be the most anal about credit scores but they also seem to charge the smallest deposit of the big wireless companies at $150. Either way, good luck to you!

valor I have to thank you for introducing me to the SERO plan, it was just what I wanted out of a service plan plus I got a nice phone and best of all they didn't want a deposit!

I'm just waiting for it to come via FedEx tomorrow.

I would offer you the referral too but I already promised it to a friend.

[quote name='Francis']valor I have to thank you for introducing me to the SERO plan, it was just what I wanted out of a service plan plus I got a nice phone and best of all they didn't want a deposit!

I'm just waiting for it to come via FedEx tomorrow.

I would offer you the referral too but I already promised it to a friend.[/QUOTE]

No problem, glad I could be helpful. :)

If you are under 18, you wont be able to sign a contract anyways. YOu would have to have someone over 18 (parent, ect) take on that risk. Personally, you would be better off with prepaid. Tmobile seems to have the best prepaid deals around. I remember just a few weeks ago, Target had a Tmobile phone plus a $100 airtime card for $88. After you add $100 to your phone, your airtime lasts for a year (unless you use it all). Plus, if you want, they sell a prepaid sidekick, and you can have unlimited internet/chat for $1/day. Id check out howardforums.com. they have areas for most of the major prepaid and MVNO providers (services that use other companies networks like Virgin, Boost, Amped, ect). Do some research and find out what works for you.

T-mobile is by far the best prepaid for light useage. However, if you want something similar to a contractual plan and are willing to spend more money, one of the monthy virgin mobile or boost mobile plans would work for you since you get free talk time and other features like web and unlimited text...

OP might want to check out TracFone, too. They have several plans where you get one year of service with 450 minutes and a free phone for $99. I never had a problem with their service back when I used it.

bread's done
Back