Free Comic Book Day

mr.me

CAG Newbie
Saturday, May 2nd is free comic book day. Check this site to see if you have a store near you participating:

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

The store locator is on the left of the page. You also might want to check with your local comic book store if it's not listed, there's one here that's participating, but isn't listed.

[quote name='mr.me']Saturday, May 2nd is free comic book day. Check this site to see if you have a store near you participating:

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

The store locator is on the left of the page. You also might want to check with your local comic book store if it's not listed, there's one here that's participating, but isn't listed.[/QUOTE]

what is the difference between the gold and silver comics?

Thanks for the heads up mr.me. Didn't realize it was already that time of year. And, surprised I haven't seen it mentioned on the deal sites, yet.

[quote name='Sloshmaster']what is the difference between the gold and silver comics?[/QUOTE]
Been like two years since I went to one of these, but I think it had something to do with level of sponsorship. All I remember for sure is that stores were required to buy all gold level titles. And, the silver titles were optional, so the selection would usually vary depending on store.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']So is there like a 1 comic book limit per person? Or can you get all the comic books that they have on the list?[/QUOTE]
That's completely up to the comic book store's owner(s). Years ago my local stores used to hand you a bag and let you take several titles. Some would also throw in some old comics that weren't part of the event. Nowadays you consider yourself lucky to get even one issue, since more and more dealers seem to be dropping out of FCBD each year. Can't completely blame them, I guess...although the comics are discounted they still have to pay for them.

Im good since the comic shop down the street from me always participates in these. I always buy at least 3-4 comics though so I dont look like a free loader.

Please remember that your local comic store actually PAYS for the free comics. So take as many titles as you want, but don't take stacks of crap you don't care about because it's free.

Sadly, every year there's d-bags pushing little kids out of the way to grab multiple copies of each book. And then there's always my favorite, the people that come in, grab a ton of free comics, then ask you "what else is free? Can I have some candy for free? No? Why not? How about some free action figures? No? Damn. Anything at all free besides these comics?" Then they leave and you don't see them again until next year's Free Comic Book Day.

only thing i cant wait for is blackest night#0 and ive already read it, been counting down for free comic day for months now, and remember this is to get kids into reading comics, please only take 1 maybe 2 of each title you actually want, this is meant to keep the industry alive if those kids dont get into it we may be the last generation to read them and that would be sad and thats what could happen if they dont get a copy

and anyone in the raleigh nc area Foundations Edge is participating, and they have a 2 copy limit aka 2 copies per person of every issue, they will also be having a special sell that day, its a perfect time for anyone looking for a new comic shop or to get into comics to check them out, they are off of hillsborough st across from nc state, also there is one listed off highway 42 in garner called timesynk (sp) that NO LONGER SELLS COMICS, they are still listed on the site for some reason, but they are not participating in the event and it will be a waste of time to go there, I believe both capital comics are doing it, and most of the others in north carolina, i know fanboy comics in wilmington do it every year and have an awsome sell, and the one in spring lake i cant remember the name fantasy something, he usually does it every year.

Idk, I feel like if I did this I'd be a freeloader since I don't really buy comics. When Cags get rid of them, I like to pay shipping and read some of them, but I don't think I'd ever buy one (unless it's MGS related xD)

Thanks OP, I forget about this every year. My two favorite shops are participating, so hopefully I'll get something. I'll probably pick up the next Walking Dead TPB that I need while I'm at it.

I've been going for the last 2 years or so since I got back into comics. I collect the hard back ones. I pick up some free ones and buy a couple of HCs. After I read the free ones I pass them onto somebody else I know who can't get out of town.

if you're heading to your local shop for FCBD, be sure to pick up a copy of "The Stuff of Legend" from Th3rd World Studios. I co-wrote it, and we've been getting some really good buzz on the story/art. The FCBD edition is a 24 page preview of the first book due out this summer. Thanks CAGs!

It's really awesome that one of the titles this year is a reprint of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1. I own the original, but this is great for those who have not read any of these awesome books.

I've never gone to one of these before, anyone know how hard it would be to get on of the Minimates shown on the site? I don't know why, but I like it.

[quote name='Josef']Who got their free comic books today?[/QUOTE]

i am going to go in a few hours but i think it will be busy because it is undergrad graduation today, and i live in a major college town

The only store in my town participating in this event was my local hasting and they had a limit of 10 comics per person and had a selection of 14 different ones to choose from. I got there right after they opened and there was only one other person there. I just wish they had the TMNT #1 reprint.

In for 10. I'll be going to a couple shops at least,see if they have have any other deals going as well (one shop emailed about graphic novel deals of some sort)

My boys and I are taking off right now to our local comic book shop. They usually have comic book characters there to take pictures with and raffles.

I got them all!!! And I will read them all eventually, I'm not sure how many total. There was 2 comic shops in the town I have to go to, to get comics. One of them had the regular official comic book day comics, no mini-mate :whistle2:( and 20% off hard backs, which I bought the Marvels Classic premiere (great story) and some Magazine size bags to protect my hardbacks paid about $25 and got free comics and pizza. They also had Star Wars charecters and Iron Man wondering around.

The other comic shop that is hidden he had over stock comics he put a $0 price tag on and you're allowed to take one of each no doubles, got a huge stack there and 40% off on General Merchandise picked up Dark Tower: Long Road Home and Batman: Lovers & Madmen.

All total I spent almost $60 today by going out and getting free comics, great day!

For those that can't make it Mile High Comics and TFAW.com are having some specials for free comicbook day weekend. Mile High is giving away 1 free TPB from a list if you buy $10 or more and some free ones for 1¢ (will be credited back). If anyone needs the list please PM me I'll post here the info from there email. TFAW is giving out 3 of the free comic book day books.

The local comic book shop near me had given all the free comics to the local library to hand out. Apparently they did it to avoid the people coming in just for the free comics.

By the time I found out, they were cleaned out and the only thing left(& I took one copy of) was Shonen Jump Ultimo.

Just got back from taking my kids down for some free comics. My local store was mobbed, but they had other promotions going on besides FCBD, some comic artists, stuff like that. They had a limit of 5 comics per person; the only ones I was interested in were Blackest Night and The Avengers. I got those, and my kids got 4 or 5 each. Not bad.

Also bought 4 other comics and some Magic booster packs while I was there.

My local shop, Collectors Paradise in Winnetka, is awesome! They had 40-50 titles available, and were letting people grab one of each! I ended up with 26 comics 'cause I left the kiddie ones for the actual kids (except for Owly, for which I have an admitted soft spot). Even better, they were also giving out Batman and Iron Man Heroclix!

Mark Waid made an appearance, so I got Kingdom Come, Tower of Babel, and The Return of Barry Allen signed. I bought the latter in-store (at 25% off) to support them, along with a sweet Alex Ross X-Men poster for $5.

This was one of the better Free Comic Book Days. I was actually interested in most of the titles and the Avengers was great!

I had an awesome time at my local comic shop ( new dimension comics) they were selling alot of their overstock for $1 a title, but also added buy one get one free to it. Came out with various batman and punisher war journal comics for 10 bucks! Ill post which ones later

I didn't go until 2:30 and the first place only had Batman left. The second place had more left, I got a copy of Resurrection, which was one of the ones I wanted. Next year I'm going earlier.

[quote name='mr.me']I didn't go until 2:30 and the first place only had Batman left. The second place had more left, I got a copy of Resurrection, which was one of the ones I wanted. Next year I'm going earlier.[/quote]

Yeah, you definitely need to go a lot earlier. I used to just shamble in during the afternoon and would never get anything. Check with your shop about when they open on FCBD, 'cause my local store's regular opening hour on Saturdays is 11 a.m. but they were letting people in at 10 on FCBD. I'd say that 80% of all the titles were gone by noon.

Dang...I'd been planning on going to this for probably a month or so and then I got a bad migraine and forgot about it. I'll probably just pull out some of my old comics to show to my boys.

I got the last copy of Blackest Night #0 my shop had. They were also running a "back issues under $10 are $1" sale so i snagged quite a few including a handful of the sinestro wars one offs and surprisingly Guy Gardner 1-4 at a buck each.

.oh and if anyone has an extra Black Adam #6 from the recent-ish limited series, send me a message.

bread's done
Back