Free copy of City of Villains Ebgames YMMV

raginasian85

CAGiversary!
I did a quick search and didn't find any previous posts on this.

I was at Ebgames in State College, PA couple of days ago (Monday, February 19th) and the guy that worked there said they were giving away copies of City of Villains for free. He said they still sell some, but there was an issue with the box being too big to sell through catalog or something, I don't really remember. They just had a few sitting by the door for anyone to pick up. You can even call the State College store to confirm the situation it didn't sound like a mistake.

Just a thought to anyone looking for these, my Half Price Books has about 10 of these and has for some time. I realize this is extremely YMMV, but perhaps particular retailers send their excess to Half Price Books in your area too, who knows.

called my store in kansas city, they said you have to buy any pc game and you get a free heroes or villians, your choice.

I have never played either of the two games and once saw City of Villains at a thriftstore for like $3.

Did they just print too many copies of this game or was it that bad that EB/GS are giving them away?

Are they out of the system, or are they a penny? If it's a penny, you can probably persuade the clerks to give them to you. I guess I'll try my luck next time I go there.

when I went trolling for pennied out ngage crap, I was informed by a couple stores that coh/cov had been pennied out and were being given away with any pc game purchase

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I have never played either of the two games and once saw City of Villains at a thriftstore for like $3.

Did they just print too many copies of this game or was it that bad that EB/GS are giving them away?[/quote]

CoH and CoV are fine games. They are actually quite fun.

What happened was World of Warcraft. Most people only pay for 1 MMO each month (who has time for more?), and WoW is currently the most popular (by far).

[quote name='fuchikoma']I was informed by a couple stores that coh/cov had been pennied out and were being given away with any pc game purchase[/quote]
I can confirm this.

CoH was pennied out but clerks at two stores were instructed by their DM to sell it only with the purchase of another PC game - so I grabbed a cheapo $4.99 game and a penny guide.

Arguing for a penny guide is way different than arguing a penny game. $5.36 in total isn't bad for two PC games.

I'll have to check my gamestop at lunch tommorrow. It'll be a pretty good addition to my new asus laptop. I played it when it was in beta. Does it come with 30 days free?

It is an online game, and it does have a monthly fee. (The first 30 are free.) It's cheap if you prepay for a year or find game time cards on sale. For example, CompUSA had Auto Assault time cards on clearance recently for $10, and with no expiration dates, it only comes out to 5 bucks a month since the cards are good for 60 days.

If you're wondering why I mentioned Auto Assault, it's because they're good for any NCsoft titles, not just Auto Assault. In fact, I'm currently subscribed to City of Heroes with one. (But you should definitely pick up Auto Assault also since it's a penny too, I believe, and it's one of my favorite online games. It's only $10 at other retailers; I know the Limited Edition goes for that much at Best Buy.)

City of Heroes time cards are currently $21 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/City-Heroes-D...sr_3/104-7160905-7110358?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

[quote name='whitereflection']It is an online game, and it does have a monthly fee. (The first 30 are free.) It's cheap if you prepay for a year or find game time cards on sale. For example, CompUSA had Auto Assault time cards on clearance recently for $10, and with no expiration dates, it only comes out to 5 bucks a month since the cards are good for 60 days.

If you're wondering why I mentioned Auto Assault, it's because they're good for any NCsoft titles, not just Auto Assault. In fact, I'm currently subscribed to City of Heroes with one. (But you should definitely pick up Auto Assault also since it's a penny too, I believe, and it's one of my favorite online games. It's only $10 at other retailers; I know the Limited Edition goes for that much at Best Buy.)

City of Heroes time cards are currently $21 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/City-Heroes-Day-Subscription-Card/dp/B0001DLLXQ/sr=8-3/qid=1172103656/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/104-7160905-7110358?ie=UTF8&s=videogames[/quote]

That reminds me I have 1 auto assault time card left - beand new, sealed. Will send to a fellow cag for $15 shipped.

Please take it off my hands before I am tempted to start playing COH....

Don't bother going to the eb in marlboro, nj.. i went there today to pick up my copy of VF5 and they had about 8 copies of villians and 1 of heroes. there is a new store manager there with a silver spoon up his arse and flat out denied me a copy stating that they MUST be destroyed. After a little bit of finesse, still no luck. Needless to say for a manager, he is a dumbass because how does a manager of said store not know his own return policies and have to have a customer state them for him...

[quote name='Day1221']there is a new store manager there with a silver spoon up his arse and flat out denied me a copy stating that they MUST be destroyed.[/quote]

He's gonna have some problems then when he checks his list of new promos. I went to my local store and they were putting up official signage that said "Buy ANY PC game and get City of Heroes or City of Villains for FREE"

Hey, do these City of Heroes / Villains still have the Heroclix figures in them?
If they do, I'll buy them off you if you don't want them! :) PM me if so.

I know nothing about these games, but picked up either CoH or CoV (can't recall which) at least a year or two ago for free. So, is it online ONLY, or is there a single player component?

[quote name='thewarden']Hey, do these City of Heroes / Villains still have the Heroclix figures in them?
If they do, I'll buy them off you if you don't want them! :) PM me if so.[/QUOTE]
I picked up a pair of CoH several months ago at a CompUSA clearance and they didn't have any minis in them.

[quote name='klew']I know nothing about these games, but picked up either CoH or CoV (can't recall which) at least a year or two ago for free. So, is it online ONLY, or is there a single player component?[/quote]

It's online only. Dang, there wasn't any on the floor at the gamestop I went to. I might try another gamestop later.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I have never played either of the two games and once saw City of Villains at a thriftstore for like $3.

Did they just print too many copies of this game or was it that bad that EB/GS are giving them away?[/QUOTE]

Their marketing didn't pan out the way they might have wanted. I played City of Heroes when it first came out, and at the time, everyone was kinda pissed that you couldn't play as a villain, so they unwisely chose to release City of Villains as a separate game (i.e. full price), instead of an expansion pack.

Basically the game is fun enough, but it's very straightforward. Don't expect a lot of story or environmental stuff while you're playing. Instead it's basically going to be a mission grind the whole time. Of course, I never played it after CoV got released, so I can't speak for the PVP.

Bottom line is that it got slammed because it couldn't compete with some of the fantasy-oriented MMOs. Kinda like what happened with Auto Assault, except CoH has a larger core user base.

Oh, and when I called my local GS and EB, they didn't seem to know anything about it, or said that that promo had been over for a while now, so definitely YMMV.

Speaking as someone who plays both games nightly, I have to disagree with the no story comment. There is quite a bit of mission grinding, if that's your cup of tea, but a lot of them have great story arcs behind them. The character creation is top notch, and the recent issue releases have added some interesting content.

Most importantly, I've found CoH/V to have a really great player base. I've been playing for nearly 2 years now. It's pretty fun, and Villains really kicked it up a notch.

A penny/free is a steal. You should at least check it out.

[quote name='Synergy']Speaking as someone who plays both games nightly, I have to disagree with the no story comment. There is quite a bit of mission grinding, if that's your cup of tea, but a lot of them have great story arcs behind them. The character creation is top notch, and the recent issue releases have added some interesting content.

Most importantly, I've found CoH/V to have a really great player base. I've been playing for nearly 2 years now. It's pretty fun, and Villains really kicked it up a notch.

A penny/free is a steal. You should at least check it out.[/QUOTE]

I guess part of the problem I had was that I never felt like I was part of a larger story, in the same sense that WoW makes you feel as if you're in a war between two competing forces.

Like I said, though, CoV may have changed that.

I will give the game that, though. The combat is pretty cool, just as a welcome change from fantasy-based MMOs, and character creation is badass. I just wish there was a way to fit backstories and such into the gameplay, though. (Like if you choose "orphan" backstory, you eventually do quest A, or if you choose "alien" backstory, you do quest B, and so on.)

I picked up city of villains for free yesterday at gamestop, but they were out of city of heroes. I checked out another gamestop but they didn't have it either, but they were making u buy a pc game to get city of villains free. Pass on that offer. Went to an EB games today and they had city of heroes, but had to buy a pc game to get it. So, just spent $5 on Sonic Heroes and got city of heroes free. So, I'm all set.

So it looks like this deal is in the weekend special ad, but I don't know if that means they'll be getting more copies in to give away, or if they're just liquidating stock.

[quote name='whitereflection']A two-pack? Like the Good vs. Evil edition? I thought that was already out.[/quote]

The good vs. evil edition was wal-mart exclusive. That was the only place u could buy that version.

I picked one up at the Gamestop on 46 in Clifton NJ. It did have the mini figure inside - opened at the counter just to make sure. There's one left on the shelf. There was actually a penny on the counter already so I used that to pay, haha

The EB on Southside Boulevard in Jacksonville FL has plenty of copies of City of Villians. They require you to preorder a PC game, and then they give it to you for free. I preordered Spore.

I was at one in a mall with a friend buying Burning Crusade. They would only give us 1 copy. Even though she bought the collector's edition, a z board and the Warcraft kit for the Z board.

I played CoH for about 3 months...really fun game, for an MMROPG. But (whoever said it) was right...WoW killed it.

If you're into the superhero thing, it's great. You can custom create your superhero, just the way you want, and you save citizens from the bad guys. When you die, though, you don't have to go hunting for your corpse, nor is it a collect-carry-sell game. It's all about doing good deeds (or evil, if you're playing CoV).

I currently play WoW, if that says anything.

Good find OP...I'll check around here and see if it's arouind.

I finally found a copy of the American McGee game, Bad Day LA and thought about asking before picking that up if ANY PC game purchase qualified for the free COH/COV game.

If they said yes, then I would slap both on the counter and say I'd like to buy Bad Day LA and get either COH or COV for free with it.

But, I backed out of that idea, as I don't need another Gamestop district marking me for being a real devil customer. LOL

this is definitely ongoing. I just walked into my local GameStop (Salisbury, MD), and picked up my copy. it even had the HeroClix inside. they were out of CoH, so I got CoV (more interest to me anyway), but apparantly they're still getting new copies in, and giving them away. was in the system for a penny, didn't have to pay that or buy anything in addtion, though

bread's done
Back