FREE Download: Command And Conquer (C&C) Gold Edition

Nemo_Hyde

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
Saw on Slickdeals.

Now...as proof that good things come to those who wait: EA has announced that C&C gold is free to download to celebrate the 12th anniversary of the game...or the fact that they can no longer make money from it.

Note: This is just the first C&C and Expansion, not the First Decade...might be obvious to many of you, but I never realized there was a C&C Gold Edition for the original game.

http://www.commandandconquer.com/intel/default.aspx?id=61#NewsMain

http://files.ea.com/downloads/eagames/cc/tiberium/Anniversary/GDI95.iso

http://files.ea.com/downloads/eagames/cc/tiberium/Anniversary/NOD95.iso

http://files.ea.com/downloads/eagames/cc/tiberium/Anniversary/CCGOLD_XP_INSTALL.doc

I bought the First Decade a few months ago and I personally couldn't get into the game. I dunno why, I love Starcraft. Anyways, I thought at first you meant the whole First Decade DVD was being released for free, but its only the first game :(

Blast it all, you're right.

I thought this was the pack with red alert. :(

Easily customizeable ini files... that was what it was largely about for me. Never really got into starcraft myself - lots of C&C Red Alert and AOE.

Holy fucing shit WOOT! Been a C&C fans for years but pretty much lost all my discs 'cept for ra2

Awesome, I still have this original game and i still play it at times.

Never heard of the gold edition so im DL it right now.

Gold Ed was the Windows 95 version as the original was DOS...as I recall...The details are getting fuzzy, but I can remember actually buying this in its giant retail box.

Gah, I'd really like to DL it and play again (a "friend" in high school borrowed my copy in 11th grade and never gave it back, he kept "forgetting"), but I'm running Ubuntu and I don't have anything that could run it...I'll snag it later though

I recall fairly quickly realizing the enemies treated sandbags like indestructible walls. After that it was easy. Though I'm sure they must have patched that eventually.

[quote name='cdietschrun']I never could beat C+C after all my years of playing it without trainers.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crowbb']I recall fairly quickly realizing the enemies treated sandbags like indestructible walls. After that it was easy. Though I'm sure they must have patched that eventually.[/quote]

That was the funny thing about this game.

The enemy would let you build sandbags into their base.

As NOD, you could drop an Obelisk and hope to keep it repaired. However, I think it only targeted vehicles.

As GDI, you only had those guard tower that could chew up infantry.

Does this game even run in Windows XP after checking 95/98 compatibility?

[quote name='eau']Don't know much about PC games in general. What's the difference between the 2 ISO's?[/quote]

One is the NOD campaign (bad guys) and the other is the GDI campaign (good guys)

for those who pre-ordered CNC3, gamestop/ebgames gave the bonus discs which contained a making of promo and the first CNC game with the two discs. I canceled my pre-order once I got it cheaper at best buy when it came out. I pre-ordred because I was really concerned that I was going to not get the Kane edition on the first day because I had to work that day...but luckily I did get it! Unfortunately Multiplayer doesn't work :(

I keep getting file not found errors now when I click on the links for the ISOs. Is the promotion done already???

The downloads are in .iso format. You handle this in two ways.

1). You can use WinRAR to open the file.
2). You can use "virtual drive" software like Alcohol 120% (which I use) or disc burning software like Nero.

Either way, this is awesome and I going to make some space on the old HD and download these two games!

I think the promotion should be going on all month. I don't know if the direct links work, but the news page link up at the top should bring you to the site where you can download it.
http://www.commandandconquer.com/intel/default.aspx?id=61#NewsMain

The issue I had is that the iso's didn't download (due to low speed and high demand I assume, so I only got about 1/5 of it then the download stopped.) I think trying once the rush calms down might work better.

Oh, and it is XP compatible, you do have to do a little work, and download the xp update, one of the download links on the news page has instructions on how to set up the game with xp, and where to download the patch file. No information on vista, I don't have it so can't check it myself.

Imageburn (freeware) will burn iso files to a cd, then just install and run it using the xp compatibility instructions on C&C web site should also work.

Yeah, I've tried downloading 4-5 different times. I even tried to keep it going all night, but the download cancelled itself saying that the download was reset. Every other time it just stops downloading around 7-8mb into the download.

Freakin' teases.

Yeah, I tried gamershell when searching for other sites hosting the files. Managed to download both ISOs and the patch in good time.

I have Vista Home Premium, and after setting up the game like you would for Windows XP, it still works. The only issue I have is that my laptop's monitor is widescreen, so everything seems a bit flattened, but it's a minor issue at the moment.

[quote name='CYRiX']Anyone know how to up the resolution on this game? 640x480 is burning my eyes.[/QUOTE]

LOL, that's about as good as it gets...although I thought 800x600 would be supported. That's why I had an aching to go back to SC after they announced SCII but after playing for a few mins in 8x6, I couldn't do it.

The XP update patch you have to install disables LAN play! EEERRRAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

From the patch install file:

Installation Instructions:

Please copy the thipx32.dll file into your Command and Conquer game directory (C:\Westwood\C&C). This will allow to play on Windows 2000/XP.

To uninstall, please delete the thipx32.dll file.

*Note* This patch will disable LAN play.

Thank you,

-Westwood Studios

bread's done
Back