Free DVD Player for the computer?

Acrylic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Does anyone have any suggestions for the best free DVD player on the computer, and the link to get to it (for convenience ;) )

Thanks so much,
Acrylic

I tried using it. This is for a "non official" DVD of sorts. It's from Bosnia, or Serbia I believe with a mix of different performances. I tried updating some things, but it still didn't play.

Maybe I should have said this in the first place. ;)

You can change region codes in most DVD software, up to a total of 5 times. Once you hit that 5th time, it's locked for good.
I forget exactly where the setting is in WMP, but it's not too hard to find.

Okay, I don't care to play it on WMP.

There has to be some other DVD playing software for the computer.

So please, recommend me something else.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Windows Media Player, not only is it the best it is also free.[/QUOTE]

Not only is it not the best, it's also not free; it's bundled with the OS.

[quote name='eldad9']Not only is it not the best, it's also not free; it's bundled with the OS.[/QUOTE]
And Quicktime is not free either because it is bundled with OSX.

And what is he best? Some crappy obscure player with a complex interface?

[quote name='Strell']VideoLAN might be able to handle it. Or you can try free-codecs.com to see if they have anything.[/QUOTE]

Well, I played it with VLC, and it really didn't work that great. Granted, it still ran, but I just want something with a simple interface.

Boy, it would be so easy if I just had a DVD player down here. :D

EDIT : Never mind... I guess VLC does the best job...I searched for a few, and I tryed out one you even had to pay for, as a trial...and it sucks badly.

So I'll just stick with VLC, I guess.

Thanks.

[quote name='Quackzilla']And Quicktime is not free either because it is bundled with OSX.[/QUOTE]

Quicktime, at least, is available for multiple operating systems.

Microsoft apologists... gotta love them.

[quote name='eldad9']Quicktime, at least, is available for multiple operating systems.

Microsoft apologists... gotta love them.[/QUOTE]

What the hell? So some people actually prefer using Microsoft products- and that makes them "Microsoft Apologists"? Believe it or not, some people choose to use Microsoft's products because it's the best option for them.

I've used WMP 10 since it came out and I've never once had a problem with it. Quicktime, on the other hand, frequently crashes, loads some sort of task panel wasting my memory and constantly pesters me to pay for Quicktime Pro.

Anti-Microsoft zealots....gotta love them

Back to the topic at hand- Ive used PowerDVD for a while now and so far havent had a problem. It's not free but it comes bundled with a lot of DVD drives. If you know anyone who has a spare copy they got with a replacement drive (or an unused copy) it's worth checking out.

I second Media Player Classic. It plays just about everything, and you can use Real Alternative and QuickTime Alternative to play Real and QT videos in Media Player Classic. That way, you don't get any of the crap-wares that companies sometimes package with their players. Also, Media Player Classic has a lot of nice features for DVD playback. Different play speeds, zooming, aspect ratios, and such.

bread's done
Back