Free DVD Player for Windows?

jalu6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I just hooked a friend up with a fresh XP Pro SP2 install, but he wants to have be able to play DVD's on it for his kids. When i try to play a dvd through media player 10, it says I dont have the correct codecs and trys to get me to buy them for $15.

Are there any good free DVD players for XP? I know i can give him WinDVD shareware but it will just run out in a few weeks.

Thanks

[quote name='jalu6']I just hooked a friend up with a fresh XP Pro SP2 install, but he wants to have be able to play DVD's on it for his kids. When i try to play a dvd through media player 10, it says I dont have the correct codecs and trys to get me to buy them for $15.

Are there any good free DVD players for XP? I know i can give him WinDVD shareware but it will just run out in a few weeks.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

if only you got him xp media center then the dvd player would be included... as far as free ones ... pretty sure this divx dvd player plays all dvds (with exception to backups methinks) http://www.tomdownload.com/dvd_software/dvduck.htm

hope that helps ya

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just found VLC player, which is free and is pretty awesome. It looks like it plays everything.

Thx again!

[quote name='Scorch']Windows Media Player plays DVDs.[/QUOTE]

it wont play backup copies... is there a way around this?

[quote name='thagoat']it plays my back up copies[/QUOTE]

what media player do you use? And did you use dvd shrink/decrypter to burn them? I use ritek media, which works in my AMW dvd players, my gamecube, but not my shitty coby dvd player (15 bucks at best buy).

[quote name='BasketCase1080']it wont play backup copies... is there a way around this?[/QUOTE]

don't steal movies....or use the original copies....

[quote name='tholly']don't steal movies....or use the original copies....[/QUOTE]

The originals are at home and I bring backups down to school with me. Either way, anyway around this?

As another alternative, you could go with the K-lite mega codec pack available here:

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm

This is a nice package that is regularly updated with all of the latest codecs from divx etc. plus it includes the bloatware free real and quicktime alternatives. It also includes Media Player Classic which is a media player for minimalists like me.

To your question, I'm also pretty sure that during the install of the mega pack, you have the option of installing a DVD codec. This will enable the playback of DVD's in MPClassic or regular old WindowsMP.

bread's done
Back