(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, glad my code worked last Saturday, at least. I'm trying to spend some more Amazon GC credit today but it's getting me the same error you guys get.

[quote name='Ghandi2002']I ordered a game a month ago with a code, and I was just able to order the MW2 Prestige edition with a new code.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for letting me know it was up for pre-order. :applause:

Canceled my Demon's Souls order and was able to order a bunch of games and get the discount.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Did I ever claim it was actionable or suit-worthy libel? Reading comprehension, FTL.
[/QUOTE]

Man, I'm sorry. I should have looked it up before I called you out like that. I really didn't mean to be a dick. I guess the frustration of not being able to my my ECA discount overcame my good judgment.

Looks like this should be fixed. I just tried a code and it worked.

And it seems the ECA Marketing guy posted a few minutes ago that it should indeed be working.

[quote name='"ECA Marketing"']As leonharfs rightly predicted, we've been advised by our friends at Amazon that the ECA discount codes have been modified and there shouldn't be any further issues. Please do let us know if you encounter any errors, but it looks as though we're back on track. Thanks again for your patience. And enjoy![/quote]

Decent timing I suppose. I did miss out on Demon's Souls LE because of it, but luckily Little King's Story was in my Gold Box today.

[quote name='eastx']Man, I'm sorry. I should have looked it up before I called you out like that. I really didn't mean to be a dick. I guess the frustration of not being able to my my ECA discount overcame my good judgment.[/QUOTE]

Hey, apology accepted--it's really no big deal ;)

[quote name='sinned47']do the coupons work with multiple items?[/QUOTE]

Give me 5 minutes to try it. :)

brb...

Update: It worked on multiple games. Will do a second order after this one to see if its still one code only.

Update2: Ok, did three orders to check and they all worked. One order had multiple items and still worked fine. Looks like they fixed all the codes. Also tried a gold box item and it worked as well. Plus, all my orders were pre-orders, so it worked on those too.

Also, if you input multiple codes on your amazon order at once, it will only give you one of the codes discount but all the codes seem to be remembered by your Amazon account cause I tried 2 different codes on the same order and nothing seemed to change. Then I did a new order and it already had the discount applied from one of the two codes I had inserted but hadn't used, so you can just put like codes for your Amazon account to "remember" and you wouldn't have to go back to the ECA site. Just a little error/finding I discovered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to generate another code but it works on multiple items in the same cart:
video_games_display_on_website-blue-icon._V47059973_.gif
Xbox 360 Street Fighter IV FightStick Tournament Edition
$149.99 - Quantity: 1 - In Stock - Amazon Prime: Two-Day Shipping is free
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
Gift options None
transparent-pixel._V42752373_.gif
video_games_display_on_website-blue-icon._V47059973_.gif
Xbox 360 Live 1600 Points
$19.49 - Quantity: 1 - In Stock - Amazon Prime: Two-Day Shipping is free
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
Gift options None

Order Summary
Amazon Prime Member
Items: $169.48
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Magazine Promotion: -$0.00
Promotion Applied: -$16.95
pixel-grey._V47081715_.gif

Total Before Tax: $152.53
Estimated Tax: $0.00
transparent-pixel._V42752373_.gif

Order Total: $152.53

*sigh* I already missed Persona PSP, Other M, Prime Trilogy, and Mario Galaxy 2. Who knows if they'll show up again.. my Goldbox has been ok for the past few days but it's crap again today.:whistle2:(

[quote name='confoosious']I'm out $1.50 since I went ahead and bought Pikmin earlier this week. Bleh.

Pikmin is a great game though.[/QUOTE]

And tomorrow I'm going to beat you up at school for another $1.50, say goodbye, lunch money!!

This may have been answered already, so I apologize if it has, but do these ECA codes work for marketplace game purchases through Amazon, or does it have to be sold through Amazon? I'm assuming the latter, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks to everyone who's been updating us; I've been waiting for this latest conundrum to be resolved so I could finally pull the trigger on my membership.

[quote name='Maromi']This may have been answered already, so I apologize if it has, but do these ECA codes work for marketplace game purchases through Amazon, or does it have to be sold through Amazon? I'm assuming the latter, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks to everyone who's been updating us; I've been waiting for this latest conundrum to be resolved so I could finally pull the trigger on my membership.[/QUOTE]
Amazon only, not marketplace.

[quote name='Maromi']This may have been answered already, so I apologize if it has, but do these ECA codes work for marketplace game purchases through Amazon, or does it have to be sold through Amazon? I'm assuming the latter, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks to everyone who's been updating us; I've been waiting for this latest conundrum to be resolved so I could finally pull the trigger on my membership.[/QUOTE]

From what I've experienced, yes. I just tried adding a used game on the marketplace and the discount did not apply. Not sure about those third party vendors whom Amazon fulfills, but I'd guess the result will be negative.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to ask. Thanks, guys! Just signed up for ECA and used my first Amazon code on four games, three of which were in my gold box and are pre-orders. I didn't realize the 10% applies to pre-gold box price; that's awesome. My membership has just paid itself off, plus another $4.60, in one order.

This blows.

I have Heavy Rain in my gold box today. I want to preorder it using the ECA coupon. But I also have credit in my account from doing the current trade-in deal. I do NOT want to use my trade-in credit on this, I want to use it on the Tekken 6 bundle. But I can't order that until they send me the 50% off coupon.

Problem is, when I apply the ECA coupon, it turns on my trade-in credit too. There's no way to use one without the other. I called them, and the guy verified that you either use all or none of your credit.

So basically until they send me the other coupon, I'm not ordering any games.

[quote name='argyle']This blows.

I have Heavy Rain in my gold box today. I want to preorder it using the ECA coupon. But I also have credit in my account from doing the current trade-in deal. I do NOT want to use my trade-in credit on this, I want to use it on the Tekken 6 bundle. But I can't order that until they send me the 50% off coupon.

Problem is, when I apply the ECA coupon, it turns on my trade-in credit too. There's no way to use one without the other. I called them, and the guy verified that you either use all or none of your credit.

So basically until they send me the other coupon, I'm not ordering any games.[/QUOTE]

Make the order for the bundle anyway or whatever's needed to empty out your credit. After that, add heavy rain to your cart, apply the promo and place the order. Cancel the bundle and re-order it when you have the coupon. ECA used, credit saved and you still get to use the 50% off coupon later.

[quote name='distgfx']Make the order for the bundle anyway or whatever's needed to empty out your credit. After that, add heavy rain to your cart, apply the promo and place the order. Cancel the bundle and re-order it when you have the coupon. ECA used, credit saved and you still get to use the 50% off coupon later.[/QUOTE]

You are wise beyond your years. Thanks! :D

I called the ECA earlier today and talk to Seth, who I THINK is the head of marketing. He asked me to email him this thread so he could fix the issues. Looks like that helped. He is also sending me a prize package as a thank you...I've been wondering what's going to be in it all day.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']I called the ECA earlier today and talk to Seth, who I THINK is the head of marketing. He asked me to email him this thread so he could fix the issues. Looks like that helped. He is also sending me a prize package as a thank you...I've been wondering what's going to be in it all day.[/QUOTE]

Sounds cool. Please keep us posted!

[quote name='imacgod']Sounds cool. Please keep us posted![/QUOTE]

I think I'll take a photo of it once I get it to show everyone. I wasn't expecting a thing, just wanted to ask some questions about the current situation with the ECA and amazon codes. So it was a cool bonus.

Ah working again. Now the big question, is it worth it to sign up when I only plan on using it on the demon's souls deluxe edition at the moment. I've never used amazon for games much and even less ACTUALLY amazon and not some other seller.

[quote name='Vortextk']Ah working again. Now the big question, is it worth it to sign up when I only plan on using it on the demon's souls deluxe edition at the moment. I've never used amazon for games much and even less ACTUALLY amazon and not some other seller.[/QUOTE]

They are really good with NEW games. They're usually $3-7 less than retail with no tax or shipping cost, then throw in the 10%, you'll get a brand new game for like $47 the day it comes out. That's $18 off retail per game (inc. tax)

[quote name='Saix_XIII']They are really good with NEW games. They're usually $3-7 less than retail with no tax or shipping cost, then throw in the 10%, you'll get a brand new game for like $47 the day it comes out. That's $18 off retail per game (inc. tax)[/QUOTE]

Just what I was about to say. I have several big games preordered for about $48 now, including Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time, Uncharted 2, Batman, and several more. The ECA membership paid for itself FAST.

Yeah but I don't buy new retail games. Even 47 is wayyyyy too much for be to spend on a single game, atleast for now. That's why I'm not sure.

Actually, just browsed the site and I think I am going to say no to this one. Unlike an edge card, I don't think I'll be kicking myself later. I just don't buy new games, but I'll keep it in mind when I do assuming the deal is still kicking =P

[quote name='Vortextk']Yeah but I don't buy new retail games. Even 47 is wayyyyy too much for be to spend on a single game, atleast for now. That's why I'm not sure.

Actually, just browsed the site and I think I am going to say no to this one. Unlike an edge card, I don't think I'll be kicking myself later. I just don't buy new games, but I'll keep it in mind when I do assuming the deal is still kicking =P[/QUOTE]

You're missing out on some great deals. Amazon's Deals of the Day can be amazing -- probably once or twice a month... plus they often have random good deals that disappear pretty fast. I'm particularly looking forward to Black Friday.

I almost NEVER buy games for more than $20 (BlazBlue being the only exception in recent memory) and I've more than paid for my ECA membership already off Amazon discounts.

[quote name='Justin42']You're missing out on some great deals. Amazon's Deals of the Day can be amazing -- probably once or twice a month... plus they often have random good deals that disappear pretty fast. I'm particularly looking forward to Black Friday.

I almost NEVER buy games for more than $20 (BlazBlue being the only exception in recent memory) and I've more than paid for my ECA membership already off Amazon discounts.[/QUOTE]

Ugh and the prosecution puts into evidence a very good piece of information. aw4teridhouoarewm

lol I hate deciding this. Well I don't have to worry about it until I ship off my amazon trade-ins and get my 50% off anyway.

While I don't want the game(even after the surprisingly good things ign had to say about the console versions), I saw the new harry potter game is what..15$ off for dotd? That's pretty sick for a brand new game, even if it isn't the highest quality stuff out there.

Cool, I'll totally sign up! Night Vision goggles here I come lol. We should all meet of with the goggles on and just go to the mall and act normal. :)

I've been glancing over this thread every once in a while. I'm thinking of signing up for ECA but it seems that you guys have problems with codes once in a while. How reliable/accessible are these codes when you really, really need them?

[quote name='mis0']I've been glancing over this thread every once in a while. I'm thinking of signing up for ECA but it seems that you guys have problems with codes once in a while. How reliable/accessible are these codes when you really, really need them?[/QUOTE]

i personally dont think it's that bad. i noticed i get more angry when something pops in my gold box and i dont have codes even though i pass on them a while back. for example, i passed on a ds game on my gold box, but i got a little upset when i got in my gold box again recently when the codes werent up. eca does a satisfactory job at fixing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back