(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Poor2More']Question, When I use my ESA discount code on say an item that is $100, but I got a $50 gift card balance ON MY ACCOUNT, will my discount be the full $10? or only $5 (cause my giftcard balance is applied automaticaly. and does this work in conjunction with the 50% off game/accessory code?[/QUOTE]
ECA 10% discount is calculated on the actual price of the item. Your $50 gift card balance is a payment method which has no bearing on the ECA discount.

Yes to the second question. It stacks on top of the 50% off coupon, effectively taking 60% off the item.

[quote name='eau']ECA 10% discount is calculated on the actual price of the item. Your $50 gift card balance is a payment method which has no bearing on the ECA discount.

Yes to the second question. It stacks on top of the 50% off coupon, effectively taking 60% off the item.[/QUOTE]

When you say actual u mean the MSRP? example

Turtle Beach X4 Headset is $199.99, Amazon has it discounted to $166.98, so am I getting $20 off, or $16?

[quote name='Poor2More']When you say actual u mean the MSRP? example

Turtle Beach X4 Headset is $199.99, Amazon has it discounted to $166.98, so am I getting $20 off, or $16?[/QUOTE]
The actual selling price of the item charged by Amazon.

You can always try to check out your purchase with the coupon(s), etc. If you aren't happy with the order at the final confirmation page. Just back out without clicking on the purchase button.

Here's my story. I trade in like 60 bucks worth of games to amazon earlier this week. I got the credit a few days ago. But ever since I got the credit, I cannot use the ECA codes without using the credit on my account. I'm trying to use this credit on my 50% item, whenever I get that code. So I'm just trying to apply the ECA code to a preorder and I can't. Only way the ECA code is applied to the order is if I use the credit balance(which I want to save) if I switch the payment method to just my credit card and not the gift/amazon credit, it will not factor in the ECA!

Anyone else having this issue? Or am I just really dumb and missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TheBigmac']I ask because I do have a .edu email address that I was considering using to sign up in order to get the membership to the ECA 5 bucks cheaper but said email address it's a pain to use.[/QUOTE]
Not like it's an issue anyways, but I was in a similar situation and it was assuring to know that you can easily change the email address after registration so that any pertinent mailings are sent your way hassle-free.
I did that almost immediately after signing up.

[quote name='Wazzup36']Here's my story. I trade in like 60 bucks worth of games to amazon earlier this week. I got the credit a few days ago. But ever since I got the credit, I cannot use the ECA codes without using the credit on my account. I'm trying to use this credit on my 50% item, whenever I get that code. So I'm just trying to apply the ECA code to a preorder and I can't. Only way the ECA code is applied to the order is if I use the credit balance(which I want to save) if I switch the payment method to just my credit card and not the gift/amazon credit, it will not factor in the ECA!

Anyone else having this issue? Or am I just really dumb and missing something?[/QUOTE]It's a known "issue" that was discussed a few pages back.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']As stated, there's no way around this. Had the same thing occur to me in the past when I was trying to save up a GC.

Well, scratch that...this is a bit of a run around, but I suppose you can try this: Find an item for pre-order that uses up your GC and order it. Now order what you want with the ECA discount. Then go back and cancel your order that used up the GC. The amount will go back into your account.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sexbomb']These expire in sept.? Kinda lame wouldn't you say...[/QUOTE]

The codes come out in batches.. and after they expire in September, they should come out with another batch.

Also, there are rumors for codes to be tied to Amazon accounts so it may be something they're working on.

:roll:

What exactly stops a person from buying an ECA membership, then just start giving out their 10% off coupon codes to everyone?

[quote name='zohar']What exactly stops a person from buying an ECA membership, then just start giving out their 10% off coupon codes to everyone?[/QUOTE]

Being an honest and ethical person.

Plus, if anyone does something that stupid it's a guaranteed way to make sure the program goes away FOREVER, like the awesome Best Buy Reward Zone Silver deals that a few people abused and haven't been seen in months.

C'mon, it's $20, or $15 if you're a student. If you can't afford that for all an ECA membership provides, you seriously need to reconsider the fact you're even buying games.

[quote name='zohar']What exactly stops a person from buying an ECA membership, then just start giving out their 10% off coupon codes to everyone?[/QUOTE]

The same thing that stops a person from ordering All-you-can-eat shrimp at Red Lobster, then just start giving out their shrimps to everyone =)

[quote name='Justin42']Being an honest and ethical person.

Plus, if anyone does something that stupid it's a guaranteed way to make sure the program goes away FOREVER, like the awesome Best Buy Reward Zone Silver deals that a few people abused and haven't been seen in months.

C'mon, it's $20, or $15 if you're a student. If you can't afford that for all an ECA membership provides, you seriously need to reconsider the fact you're even buying games.[/QUOTE]
QFT
Please don't ruin it for everyone.

yes dont ruin it, I think this will be great for cags. I'm already planning on using it on 3 things and promptly getting my money back and then some. Then I got it for an entire year to save some more.

I can see people selling these via ebay or something in the future. They'll probably make it so you can only use it on one amazon account.

question. if i just registered do i only get codes that willthen expire 9/30/09 or will i continue to get new batches as long my 365 days isnt over yet.

[quote name='ztnepres']question. if i just registered do i only get codes that willthen expire 9/30/09 or will i continue to get new batches as long my 365 days isnt over yet.[/QUOTE]

You are paying for an ANNUAL membership. You get them until one year from now, so you get all the batches in between.

Signed up, canceled all my Amazon preorders and ordered them with the coupon, as long as I can save an addittional $3 in the next year I break even... can't go wrong there. It basically wipes out the taxes I am charged on Amazon here in NY; so it gives me a reason to start getting more from Amazon in the future.

Can I start generating codes as soon as I sign up? Guess I've been convinced. I do have an edu address and will be getting a 50% off code soon enough, so if I do use it on demon's souls ce and nothing else for the entire year, that's only 8 dollars down the drain, reason enough to get it. Just waiting until that trade-in goes through, or something decent comes in my gold box.

I deleted everything, browsed a couple games, and today I have...a vacuum, a fan, a dehumidifier, mamma mia's soundtrack and another cd in my gold box. The thing has been worthless for the past two weeks =/.

Since the codes have come back I've had a bonanza of pre-orders in my gold box. Got Dissidia and Disgaea 2 PSP and Scribblenauts in the last few days, today I have SMG2 and NSMBW... Thank you, ECA.

too many pages to search, but I recently preorder a bunch of stuff on amazon. is it possible to get eca now and apply the discount on those current preorders?

[quote name='mythus']too many pages to search, but I recently preorder a bunch of stuff on amazon. is it possible to get eca now and apply the discount on those current preorders?[/QUOTE]

I think you need to cancel and reorder.

[quote name='opportunity777']I think you need to cancel and reorder.[/QUOTE]
if i call in do you think they'll apply the gold box? does anyone have a history of doing such? i got persona psp, golden sun ds, demon soul reg and starcraft 2 =(

[quote name='bvharris']Since the codes have come back I've had a bonanza of pre-orders in my gold box. Got Dissidia and Disgaea 2 PSP and Scribblenauts in the last few days, today I have SMG2 and NSMBW... Thank you, ECA.[/QUOTE]

I'm having the exact opposite luck. I've gotten nothing but absolute crap in my goldbox since ECA came back. I have 9 books in my goldbox today... I've never even looked at a book on Amazon. I get the feeling that Amazon is doing this on purpose.

[quote name='mythus']if i call in do you think they'll apply the gold box? does anyone have a history of doing such? i got persona psp, golden sun ds, demon soul reg and starcraft 2 =([/QUOTE]

What I would do is send them an email with a code in the text and ask them to apply it to an order.

But I would just do like one order every week or so.

Sorry if this is a lame question. I used the link to sign up in the OP. I put in all of my info, confirmed my email address through the confirmation email but it didn't ask me to pay for anything. I can't get into the "members area" but the site knows I'm logged in.

Does the payment for the membership come in a separate email or link?

[quote name='mythus']if i call in do you think they'll apply the gold box? does anyone have a history of doing such? i got persona psp, golden sun ds, demon soul reg and starcraft 2 =([/QUOTE]

I've cancelled items before and got them in my gold box the next day. Since you have quite a bit of time before they're actually released, theoretically they should pop up in your gold box again. I've actually used this trick to get something in my goldbox that I wanted pretty quickly since it's being released tomorrow. I ordered the item, waited a few hours, then cancelled it. It showed up in my gold box the next day.

I finally got a game in my Goldbox that wasn't a DS or PSP game (I don't even have a psp). Ended up getting MAG ordered for 48.xx. Pretty sweet deal.

[quote name='pjb16']I finally got a game in my Goldbox that wasn't a DS or PSP game (I don't even have a psp). Ended up getting MAG ordered for 48.xx. Pretty sweet deal.[/QUOTE]

In my gold box, I have rogaine hair regrowth treatment, a barbecue oven mitt, and an "instant shelter" tent thing...what, the, hell! Lol not only did I delete everything in my history, then just looked at a bunch of games and rated 2 of them that were recommended with demon's souls, I've never even bought or looked at anything REMOTELY close to these items.

At this point, seeing any game for any system would be nice.

[quote name='Vortextk']In my gold box, I have rogaine hair regrowth treatment, a barbecue oven mitt, and an "instant shelter" tent thing...what, the, hell! Lol not only did I delete everything in my history, then just looked at a bunch of games and rated 2 of them that were recommended with demon's souls, I've never even bought or looked at anything REMOTELY close to these items.

At this point, seeing any game for any system would be nice.[/QUOTE]
I feel the same way. I get power tool and novels sometimes, both of which I never look at (not that their is anything wrong with either, just not for me usually).

Id also say the fact that Amazon and ECA could easily look at information of someone generating a lot of codes and who uses the code based on billing/email addresses. It wouldn't be that hard to track someone down who was defrauding the system.

[quote name='pjb16']I feel the same way. I get power tool and novels sometimes, both of which I never look at (not that their is anything wrong with either, just not for me usually).[/QUOTE]
I sometimes get that, but it is mostly if I jump on a deal that is really popular and forget to not include it in recommendations. The other items probably come from what other people who get in on the deal have bought.

How do I get to my gold box? I've found my recommendations page (with no discounts) and the generic gold box/deal of the day page for everybody, but I can't find the personally customized one with the discount.

[quote name='Monroeski']How do I get to my gold box? I've found my recommendations page (with no discounts) and the generic gold box/deal of the day page for everybody, but I can't find the personally customized one with the discount.[/QUOTE]
I don't know why, but sometimes they are not there. I don't know if it is due to inactivity or something, but some days there are little or no personal deals.

Okay, I see it now.

I'm actually disappointed that Infamous is showing up in mine right now. Was hoping to dodge the temptation to grab it for $38 or so. :D

Since getting Metroid Prime Trilogy on Sunday, I've gotten nothing I wanted to pre-order right now the last 2 days. Best thing I've seen is Red Steel 2, which I'll wait on for now.

[quote name='77Pat']I don't know why, but sometimes they are not there. I don't know if it is due to inactivity or something, but some days there are little or no personal deals.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, for like two weeks I had no quick picks at all. Then mysteriously today they are back.

[quote name='Purkeynator']I know what you mean, for like two weeks I had no quick picks at all. Then mysteriously today they are back.[/QUOTE]

Were you logged out of Amazon? I didn't get anything for a week and then realized it was because I cleared my cookies so Amazon didn't remember me. I visited the site everyday but my browsing was being tracked as an anonymous user since I didn't have to log in for anything. But as soon as I logged in, my Goldbox items were there.

Also, there is a chance that your Goldbox items came up as zero. You can have anywhere from 0 to 9 items in your Goldbox... it happened to me for 2 days.

Just pre-ordered Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition for $59.99 after the 50% coupon and the ECA discount.
WIN!

I finally got all game related items in my Gold Box. A few were guides, but all game related, so that's a start. I just hope Uncharted 2 shows up soon so I can use ECA and the 50% off with it's lower price. If I get 10% off the $57 price with Gold Box, plus 10% off the original price plus 50% off the original price (maybe I get 50% off the Gold Box price?) it'll come be $17-19 for it which to me is freakin awesome.

[quote name='pjb16']I feel the same way. I get power tool and novels sometimes, both of which I never look at (not that their is anything wrong with either, just not for me usually).[/QUOTE]

whoa, me too. Yesterday my gold box had only power tools, and chick books in it. Seriously, I only look at games, and thats what they recommend me?? Lately, my goldbox is consisting of cables and components and cords...so freakin lame!

Woohoo, it updated. New professor Layton and uncharted 2 in my gold box, as well as a bit set and then a knife sharpener...

Oh well, 2 games beats almost a week of 0 games.

If you preorder something with the ECA coupon and the price go down will it automatically adjust to the lower price with the ECA coupon apply to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back