(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='trent82']i really don't understand the push for these multi-use codes. i don't understand why there are codes at all. amazon absolutely has the ability to automatically apply a discount without the use of codes...they have done it before. i'm not going to read a billion pages, but did anyone ever find out why they won't just use the same system they used before for the hd-dvd/blu-ray early adopter promotion? that worked out great and couldn't be stacked or shared.[/QUOTE]

That's actually a really good point -- I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it.

The problem with this, though, is that during the HD-DVD/Blu-ray promo, it was just Amazon tracking their own customers/sales. With ECA, you'd need Amazon's and ECA's systems talking to one another, which involves programming, resources, etc.

Also, how would Amazon know when your ECA membership expired and you were no longer entitled to the benefit?

But if Amazon gives ECA a bunch of codes that are, for example, good for 30 days on multiple purchases, then it easily solves the problem and doesn't involve any significant effort for either party.

[quote name='ponn01']I can't suggest cancelling your order. I tried that last friday with some stacked codes and nothing had shipped and I only got one of the codes back in my account when I tried to order something else.[/QUOTE]

I meant if he decided to NOT get the games, it's an easy thing to click-click-click, canceled, without calling amazon. He definitely won't get all/any of the codes back depending.

People, check your uncharted/brutal legend orders if you COULDN'T get release date but you have prime. I had to pick 2 day on everything but out of 3 titles released the 13th that I ordered, those two and magna carta 2, those first two have changed to shipping soon, so psyched. Magna carta 2 still hasn't and everything had a delivery estimate of the 16th, which even if the games shipped tomorrow at 2 day delivery seems one day off, but especially if they ship today(and even better, by overnight like other release date shipping on games).

I hope ECA codes get repaired today, I wanted to pre-order a copy of Uncharted 2 today for my bro (to also get the $5 pre-order game credit). Today is the last day for that, as it comes out tmw. If not, I'd probably do the TRU B2G1 Free deal tomorrow.

[quote name='Sylin']That's actually a really good point -- I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it.

The problem with this, though, is that during the HD-DVD/Blu-ray promo, it was just Amazon tracking their own customers/sales. With ECA, you'd need Amazon's and ECA's systems talking to one another, which involves programming, resources, etc.

Also, how would Amazon know when your ECA membership expired and you were no longer entitled to the benefit?

But if Amazon gives ECA a bunch of codes that are, for example, good for 30 days on multiple purchases, then it easily solves the problem and doesn't involve any significant effort for either party.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. It's not as simple as it sounds, and I doubt Amazon is gonna go out their way. It's much simpler, as you say, to just give the ECA codes to hand out.

[quote name='geogerf']I hope ECA codes get repaired today, I wanted to pre-order a copy of Uncharted 2 today for my bro (to also get the $5 pre-order game credit). Today is the last day for that, as it comes out tmw. If not, I'd probably do the TRU B2G1 Free deal tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

i hope they come out soon. they said probably friday/monday last week, and today is monday...

Well, they said there's a good chance that Amazon will be getting the multi-use codes out, so it'll probably take a little bit longer than they expected for ECA to get it all set up and working right. But once they do and if that's so, we shouldn't have to worry about codes running out anytime soon.

[quote name='rpnguyen']i hope they come out soon. they said probably friday/monday last week, and today is monday...[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the monday thing is a bunch of bull. Probably just there to placate the population or something

[quote name='Vortextk']I meant if he decided to NOT get the games, it's an easy thing to click-click-click, canceled, without calling amazon. He definitely won't get all/any of the codes back depending.

People, check your uncharted/brutal legend orders if you COULDN'T get release date but you have prime. I had to pick 2 day on everything but out of 3 titles released the 13th that I ordered, those two and magna carta 2, those first two have changed to shipping soon, so psyched. Magna carta 2 still hasn't and everything had a delivery estimate of the 16th, which even if the games shipped tomorrow at 2 day delivery seems one day off, but especially if they ship today(and even better, by overnight like other release date shipping on games).[/QUOTE]

I'm sorta in the same boat... but my brutal had release day and my uncharted is stuck with 2 day and I think it was saying 16th delivery... but I just got email that it had shipped and the delivery date is the 14th.
So should have it one day after release date.

Yup afflicted! Sweet! My uncharted/brutal legend just shipped. So it's almost release day delivery, except instead of overnighting, they're doing 2day. Still, 14th is better than the 16th. It was going to be hell friday, get the games in then have to go to work like 2 hours later.

So from what information I've read so far the ECA codes aren't available right now? I've had the membership for a while but never really wanted to utilize it until now to grab Forza 3.

Yeah, so basically ECA codes don't work anymore? Or from what I understand, you can only use the code once? Making it worthless, so I canceled the subscription.

Can someone PM me the status of these codes? I don't understand.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Yeah, so basically ECA codes don't work anymore? Or from what I understand, you can only use the code once? Making it worthless, so I canceled the subscription.

Can someone PM me the status of these codes? I don't understand.[/QUOTE]

They are getting more codes. Did you actually cancel? The new codes should be ready later today/tomorrow.

The free ECA isn't working for me. I put the GIMAG code in and then goto check out and it still shows 19.99 in the review order screen?

[quote name='SynGamer']They are getting more codes. Did you actually cancel? The new codes should be ready later today/tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

like i said over the weekend i wouldnt hold my breath for codes today and i still wouldnt hold them for codes tomorrow... TOmorrow they will make up some lame #$#$# reason why the codes are not up..

or they will do the same thing as email not even respond to the messages

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Yeah, so basically ECA codes don't work anymore? Or from what I understand, you can only use the code once? Making it worthless, so I canceled the subscription.

Can someone PM me the status of these codes? I don't understand.[/QUOTE]

you realize if you cancel your sub then you get no $ back, you could have just made a reminder to cancel before you were up for re-sub

Thanks to the guy who suggested calling Amazon.

It was a very pleasant and smooth experience to add the item I wanted to my order to make sure I got the promos intact and cancel the other items.

I loved the girl I spoke to ("i can tell i'm talking to a videogame addict!"), she had the nicest European accent.

[quote name='dallow']Thanks to the guy who suggested calling Amazon.

It was a very pleasant and smooth experience to add the item I wanted to my order to make sure I got the promos intact and cancel the other items.

I loved the girl I spoke to ("i can tell i'm talking to a videogame addict!"), she had the nicest European accent.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for suggesting I call Amazon.I just got a order added my 20% stack. Nice!

[quote name='joshthegreat69']How is this done? Do I have to call them?[/QUOTE]
No.

1. Be signed in
2. Click your username on the left
3. Click the "View" tab
4. Scroll down to the Recurring Order box
5. CANCEL
6. Ignore the warning
7. Don't make a "??? Profit" joke because you're not funny

sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but will uncharted 2 go back up to msrp after tomorrow/today? i just want to know if i should hold out for the codes to come back, or just get it at a discounted price with the $5 back now

thanks in advance

[quote name='Acapelli']sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but will uncharted 2 go back up to msrp after tomorrow/today? i just want to know if i should hold out for the codes to come back, or just get it at a discounted price with the $5 back now

thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

no one can say for sure. although i doubt it would go back to $60 since amazon usually keeps games at a slight discount. there's also a chance it will go lower tommorrow, like with batman and halo: odst (both dropped around $9 the day of release)

[quote name='Acapelli']sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but will uncharted 2 go back up to msrp after tomorrow/today? i just want to know if i should hold out for the codes to come back, or just get it at a discounted price with the $5 back now

thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

I went ahead and ordered Uncharted 2 today. That way I get the $5 game credit and the pre-order bonus level.

Hopefully the ECA codes will be up in the next week or so. My plan is to combine the 10%, with the $5 U2 credit and my $10 Brutal Legend credit on the purchase of Assassin's Creed II.

so I had doubled up two 10% when the stacking was working. It got split up and I ordered some games with my 10% off.

Than I saw God of War III in my goldbox and figured I should see if my other 10% was in my account...sure enough it was so I ordered the Planet Earth deal of the day AND GOW3 (just under $50).

[quote name='dallow']Thanks to the guy who suggested calling Amazon.

I loved the girl I spoke to ("i can tell i'm talking to a videogame addict!"), she had the nicest European accent.[/QUOTE]

What did you do exactly? Are you saying you called a Amazon Customer rep and had games added to a 30% off order?

[quote name='bobright']What did you do exactly? Are you saying you called a Amazon Customer rep and had games added to a 30% off order?[/QUOTE]
Yes basically.
I gave her the specific order number and ASIN of the game. I never talked about promos, they were applied automatically as I double checked the order online after I got off the phone.

I added Brutal Legend to my shopping cart on Amazon today and at the checkout screen I had 10% taken off my game ($5.70 off the $57 Amazon price). The interesting thing is I have not ordered Brutal Legend on Amazon before today, this was the first time it's ever been in my cart. Is it possible that the ECA started just taking off 10% for every game purchase on Amazon now? Maybe they are doing something new linking your ECA and Amazon accounts? Has anyone else tried adding a game to their shopping cart today and then went ahead to the checkout screen? If not the ECA discount I have no idea why I had 10% taken off my Brutal legend price.

^^ They're not linking them. I just purchased Uncharted 2 today and the ECA discount did not show up. I wanted to get in on the map and pre-order bonus and Uncharted was finally in my gold box today, but of course ECA codes were down.

[quote name='dallow']Probably a spare code you have on your account that's still working.
I have one too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's probably it. Thanks for clearing that up.

[quote name='dallow']Yes basically.
I gave her the specific order number and ASIN of the game. I never talked about promos, they were applied automatically as I double checked the order online after I got off the phone.[/QUOTE]
Sucks, i tried to do this but they said they cant add to an open order, but that i could combine orders. Doubt combining would work?

[quote name='bobright']Sucks, i tried to do this but they said they cant add to an open order, but that i could combine orders. Doubt combining would work?[/QUOTE]

As long as none of the item in the order has shipped you should be able to add orders to it.

Noobie ? How do I add the ECA code to my order? If I'm reading correctly there isnt a code for Amazon?? On the ECA page most stores have codes but Amazon??

For some reason when I go to their forums to check for updates it says my IP is banned. Weird.

Hope this shows up soon as the 10% ECA discount + my $25 worth of Amazon gift cards +$10 gift card with MW2 is enough to push me over to buying MW2 at launch.

[quote name='bmanilow']hopefully ECA gets their act together soon and gets the coupons back up...no updates on their forums, the last one was from 4 days ago :/

http://forums.theeca.com/showthread.php?t=6672&page=5[/QUOTE]

that post has been edited a few times, and the last one was today. which says that no word from amazon, but she suspects its because of the holiday.

I just realized that the games shipped today from amazon will take longer since today's a holiday :(

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']that post has been edited a few times, and the last one was today. which says that no word from amazon, but she suspects its because of the holiday.[/QUOTE]

ahh good catch i musta missed that - still nothing conclusive, i dont think amazon is closed for columbus day are they? :) that new dragon age trailer has me fired up to get my pre-order in

http://www.destructoid.com/dragon-age-origins-launch-trailer-is-seriously-badass-151777.phtml

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']that post has been edited a few times, and the last one was today. which says that no word from amazon, but she suspects its because of the holiday.

I just realized that the games shipped today from amazon will take longer since today's a holiday :([/QUOTE]
I don't believe FedEx or UPS take off Columbus Day. Otherwise, we wouldn't have received ship emails today in the first place, and they wouldn't have had Release-Day Shipping on games coming out tomorrow (Uncharted/Brutal Legend).

Well, just because they ship stuff doesn't mean that the people who would be working on this didn't get the day off. Where I work, I get holidays off(though not this one) but we still have customer service people come in, in case people have an issue.

Similar thing happened with my phone company when I called to get service after moving. They had repairmen out for people with issues, but the "buisness office" was closed for the holiday and they couldn't start a new account. It's possible that Amazon has the warehouses open to ship stuff, but the offices where they are getting these issues taken care of could be closed.

How many people actually expect this to be solved tomorrow? I think we're looking at a week or two. The ECA rep sounds too hopeful and keeps going on about the next day... and the day after that.... and the day after that

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back