Free full 1 year eca membership no purchase needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallascowboys

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jodou']You can't tell me they're making money off new games marked down 15-20% on top of the $10 coupons some games yield. I understand how loss leaders work and games are definitely not one.

Moving stock is great, but not at an operating loss.[/QUOTE]

The typical markup is around 10%. So a $60 title costs Amazon around $54, giving them a $6 profit on each title. The cost for titles for different retailers is typically the same when buying direct and not through a distributor. Unless a retailer makes a special buy of larger quantities then the manufacturer will typically lower their cost to the retailer to move more inventory.

The idea of loss leaders is to lose money on items that are going to drive traffic into the store with the hope that the consumer will either buy a high markup item, buy more items on that shopping trip and/or make that customer a return customer. Loss leaders are typically sold while going negative in cost. When I use to make Wal-Mart mark down CDs and DVDs for me we'd typically go under cost by $0 - $2 per unit.

I think if it gets too bad, they will just cut off all the people that got free memberships. I don't see paying customers getting shafted and losing the Amazon discount.

[quote name='Fors78']Would be nice to have amazon prime with this hehe, I can never talk myself into paying 80 bucks for prime though.[/QUOTE]

Me neither. At least I will have the free trial for Black Friday though. :)

Why is everyone sweating this? The code was featured in a magazine. I think the hope for the ECA is that they will retain members after the free year.

man as a person who paid for his membership, i feel like I've been had. i know a lot of neg reply will come; but, i hope they fix this before we lose amazon privileges.

[quote name='lolmark']Why is everyone sweating this? The code was featured in a magazine. I think the hope for the ECA is that they will retain members after the free year.[/QUOTE]

Mainly cause we don't want the golden goose to be killed.

I don't care that I paid $20 for the membership and others are getting it for free. I just don't want to lose the 10% off amazon games.

Thanks. Never signed up for an ECA account since I don't order enough from Amazon to be worth it, but for free I'll probably use it once or twice before it runs out.

Quick questions since I don't want to dig through all 16 pages, can I cancel immediately after joining so it doesn't auto-renew, or does that disable access to the coupons for some silly reason?

[quote name='Killbomb']I think if it gets too bad, they will just cut off all the people that got free memberships. I don't see paying customers getting shafted and losing the Amazon discount.

Me neither. At least I will have the free trial for Black Friday though. :)[/QUOTE]

Used my free trial long ago, I tried to get the 3 month free trial to work about a month ago on another account, but no go.

Hehe it's just that a $20 value for FREE is not something you come by every day.

IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE VALIDATION EMAIL:
Change email address to a different provider (Gmail works) and click "resend validation." Some providers like AIM block emails from various places, including them.

[quote name='actripxl']Just joined, question though where do I see the code used for game purchases? Also I've got 2 game on pre-order, so how do I now apply the eca discount with these purchases?[/QUOTE]

I can't find the codes, either.

Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I didn't have to give a credit card or a code and was able to sign up for free. Have they changed their system, or have I done the wrong thing?

[quote name='Killbomb']I think if it gets too bad, they will just cut off all the people that got free memberships. I don't see paying customers getting shafted and losing the Amazon discount.[/QUOTE]

This is my hope, that if things go awry they'll just kill the benefits for the free members.

I was just about to purchase a membership so this is perfect timing for me. Like many others, I have to think this will eventually lead to the 10% codes being suspended. So I'm going to use up my remaining Amazon credit now.

[quote name='kodave']This is my hope, that if things go awry they'll just kill the benefits for the free members.[/QUOTE]

:(

The paying members aren't exactly blameless though, they seem to have started all this hoarding business.

isnt this good for amazon business though. Amazon now has TONS of people ordering from in their video games dept. Why would amazon stop with the promo codes. due time they will outsell the discount.In this time of the economy, Amazon could use all the push it could get. I dont understand the concern for Amazon privileges being revoked, if the code was offered by the ECA. its not like the code was a system hack or something. Its an "ECA" promo code. I think they want this. im pretty sure ton of people will retain after their year is over..because the privileges will get better.

Edit:people should read the fine print also. Reading this, i think there are no plans to revoke the discount except make it member specific for each member
(The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

so basically in due time, it will be like having an Edge card but for amazon.

[quote name='drktrpr1']So, if I sign up but cancel tomorrow, do I still keep the membership?

And how do I cancel?[/QUOTE]
Left side of the screen, yellow box with "Member info". Click your name. Then click "View", then you will see the recurring fee, then you click cancel.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Left side of the screen, yellow box with "Member info". Click your name. Then click "View", then you will see the recurring fee, then you click cancel.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

thanks, already taking advantage of the codes. had to cancel and re-preorder all my games, hehe

[quote name='integralsmatic']isnt this good for amazon business though. Amazon now has TONS of people ordering from in their video games dept. Why would amazon stop with the promo codes. due time they will outsell the discount.In this time of the economy, Amazon could use all the push it could get. I dont understand the concern for Amazon privileges being revoked, if the code was offered by the ECA. its not like the code was a system hack or something. Its an "ECA" promo code. I think they want this. im pretty sure ton of people will retain after their year is over..because the privileges will get better.[/QUOTE]

You can't outsell a negative discount. Which is why some of us are concerned about Amazon taking the 10% away. read the previous few pages.

With their already low prices, Amazon is going to lose money on every new release video game they sell with ECA discount.

(Yes, I understand loss leaders too for anyone inclined to reply.)

[quote name='integralsmatic']isnt this good for amazon business though. Amazon now has TONS of people ordering from in their video games dept. Why would amazon stop with the promo codes. due time they will outsell the discount.In this time of the economy, Amazon could use all the push it could get. I dont understand the concern for Amazon privileges being revoked, if the code was offered by the ECA. its not like the code was a system hack or something. Its an "ECA" promo code. I think they want this. im pretty sure ton of people will retain after their year is over..because the privileges will get better.

Edit:people should read the fine print also. Reading this, i think there are no plans to revoke the discount except make it member specific for each member
(The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

so basically in due time, it will be like having an Edge card but for amazon.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing... except for the edge card part, since GS profits on used games and can take a 10% loss like it's nothing. However, ever since I got ECA, I bought amazon prime and have bought things I never would of thought of buying from them, like a new printer and a monitor.

I've been stalling on signing up for this since I don't usually buy $60 titles, so I wasn't sure if I would make my money back. However, now since it's free, it doesn't really matter.

This does suck for those who have already purchased a membership, specially since some are afraid of the Amazon ceasing these codes, although I can't see them doing that.

You are da man OP! I have thought about getting this multiple times but never wanted to pay the $20. I live in a state where Amazon ships from so I have to pay sales tax so this discount will cover tax and a lil more. :D

I also used a Paypal CC.

I use Amazon for all my gaming purchases and this is great. I have been meaning to sign up for ECA but have just been too lazy and I have actually ordered a few games in the last few weeks, namely Beatles, Batman, Madden, and Tales of Vesperia without the code.

Was waiting on preordering Uncharted, Ratchet, Dragon Age, God of War, GTA: Liberty CIty Stories, and Assassin's creed 2! Woohoo! Also sent an e-mail hoping they apply the code to my existing Halo ODST and MW2 preorders!

I have also been a prime member for 2 years! Amazon just kicks ass!

[quote name='confoosious']You can't outsell a negative discount. Which is why some of us are concerned about Amazon taking the 10% away. read the previous few pages.

With their already low prices, Amazon is going to lose money on every new release video game they sell with ECA discount.

(Yes, I understand loss leaders too for anyone inclined to reply.)[/QUOTE]

I see what your saying, But the way im looking at is that if they sell TONS, like what is probbaly going to happen in the next couple months with this discount, that the loss on the discount will be smaller than the profit they turn around. I would love to know how much amazon buys these games wholesale. Im pretty sure thats how they buy it right? or else why would you sell games....I mean just by doing the math if they sell a new game at full price with the discount its 5.99 off. so each game would be sold 54.00 bucks a piece. Now if knowing how much amazon really made off each game....than im sure they still turn around profit even though taking a loss on each game.And at this point, any profit is good profit.But also if the game has a price drop........shit too many scenarios to go through But now I can see the cause for concern now.

[quote name='distgfx']I was thinking the same thing... except for the edge card part, since GS profits on used games and can take a 10% loss like it's nothing. However, ever since I got ECA, I bought amazon prime and have bought things I never would of thought of buying from them, like a new printer and a monitor.[/QUOTE]

see point exactly. Amazon is benefiting from giving this discount...because at the end of it all, they are still making a sale. If their company is at point where they are in utter turmoil, than i think its safe to say they will revoke the coupons but if the of the top internet retailers can't handle a 10% off coupon code..than I want to think the economy is in more deep shit than it already is.

Meant the discount is like an edge card....but for amazon games...........you know 10% similarity :)

Guess I will have to revisit the ECA thread to see how this works again. Plus remember to cancel at the end of the year. I hate autorenewals.

[quote name='Killbomb']In for one but I doubt I will use it much since I don't have a credit card and have to ask to use someone's card every time I use Amazon. Really wish they still took Bill Me Later or even Paypal. Plus I like to have my new games on release day and don't want to pay for Prime beyond the trial. This isn't touching Hollywood Video for deal of the year either in my book.[/QUOTE]

Actually thats the thing here. Most new games already have about 3-5% off, usually making them $56.99, with the ECA discount, it brings it down to $51.30. If you're getting a game thats pretty popular, they'll offer release date shipping, which is $5.98.... roughly just what the ECA discount gave you.

So you'd get the game release date, thus saving money on gas, and still saving money even if your ECA discount basically went down the gutter to pay that shipping... in my eyes it's more like a free same-day shipping code but you still saved with the initial amazon savings. Pretty much every game I've ordered so far from amazon offered release date shipping.

hm you know i was on the boat of people thinking this will ruin the amazon discount, but after thinking it over, i don't think it will. mostly because only a small percentage of people who are going to be using these eca codes will also be maximizing with all the other promotions they can use.

because i think amazon probably pays around $40 a game or so, and i think most people will only take advantage of that and amazon's normal low price, and on average this means that people will still be paying around $50 a game, and thinking its the best they can get. true CAGers will of course also use gold box discounts, and order when amazon has other promotions (such as the $10 coupons), and also taking advantage of amazon trade in promos (or just the ones that already happened)...so while CAGers will probably buy games below amazons cost...were probably only going to be maybe 5% of the people using these ECA coupons, and the other 95% will provide enough profit to cover for us

[quote name='y2jasper']hm you know i was on the boat of people thinking this will ruin the amazon discount, but after thinking it over, i don't think it will. mostly because only a small percentage of people who are going to be using these eca codes will also be maximizing with all the other promotions they can use.

because i think amazon probably pays around $40 a game or so, and i think most people will only take advantage of that and amazon's normal low price, and on average this means that people will still be paying around $50 a game, and thinking its the best they can get. true CAGers will of course also use gold box discounts, and order when amazon has other promotions (such as the $10 coupons), and also taking advantage of amazon trade in promos (or just the ones that already happened)...so while CAGers will probably buy games below amazons cost...were probably only going to be maybe 5% of the people using these ECA coupons, and the other 95% will provide enough profit to cover for us[/QUOTE]

Those numbers all seem to come out of thin air? 5/95% seems kinda arbitrary and not really based on anything :)

Oh and amazon will be fine. They had tons of my business before this. I'm confident amazon knows what they are doing.

[quote name='volt1up']:(

The paying members aren't exactly blameless though, they seem to have started all this hoarding business.[/QUOTE]

But that's an issue between paying members. Now throw free members into the mix, and shit could be rough.

I'm surprised only one person has complained about this on the ECA forums though: http://forums.theeca.com/showthread.php?t=6640

I think the operators of the ECA will have a big surprise come Monday.

Why would they do this? I bet the Amazon 10% off gets canned. The money I paid has been worth it but it sucks they would now just give it away free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back