Free full 1 year eca membership no purchase needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallascowboys

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lee7sauce']With ECA, you pay $48 for most new releases. That's without factoring in Gold Box and possible $5-$10 credit codes. I highly doubt Amazon is making money at that price, seeing how they not only need to pay for the game (at least $48), but also things like shipping and other operating costs (running the business, warehouse, employees, website, etc.)

If the 10% code was so beneficial to Amazon's business, why didn't they just further slash their video game prices by 10% so that everyone will have access to it? This is a dumb move on ECA's part, and I foresee Amazon cutting out the promotion altogether in the near future.[/QUOTE]

Some poor geek at Amazon is crunching the numbers on order size and stuff like whether orders include non video game high margin items in cart.....

if the people using the ECA discount ONLY buy video games at a loss, this promo is going bye bye.

Damn went from 1 page to 20 overnight...as for the business side of this I will keep my mouth shut since everyone hates the business explainations from everyone. I think I am one of the few who actually has a degree in BA

Everybody stop worrying about Amazon going under or canceling the promo over a 10% discount. They're recouping their money and then some, I promise you. First, they're likely getting some form of per-transaction kickback or other in-kind kickback from the ECA. Second, they're glad to have these sales because many people will end up putting more than just the discounted videogame in their cart. Third, it's relatively cheap advertising for Amazon - again, it may cost them $5 - 6 off of a particular videogame sale, but they're betting that the next time you need to buy just about anything online, you'll go to them as opposed to buy.com, walmart.com, borders.com, etc. because of familiarity and the positive experience that you had at Amazon.

[quote name='confoosious']Some poor geek at Amazon is crunching the numbers on order size and stuff like whether orders include non video game high margin items in cart.....

if the people using the ECA discount ONLY buy video games at a loss, this promo is going bye bye.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. When Amazon find a couple thousand orders in negative margins going out by the end of the week, taking out the 10% code is a no brainer. More they sell, more they lose.

I'd be sad if Amazon ended their partnership with ECA before Black Friday because of this. =/

Good for people getting in on this, though. Lots of savings.

[quote name='SkylineChili4Me']Everybody stop worrying about Amazon going under or canceling the promo over a 10% discount. They're recouping their money and then some, I promise you. First, they're likely getting some form of per-transaction kickback or other in-kind kickback from the ECA. Second, they're glad to have these sales because many people will end up putting more than just the discounted videogame in their cart. Third, it's relatively cheap advertising for Amazon - again, it may cost them $5 - 6 off of a particular videogame sale, but they're betting that the next time you need to buy just about anything online, you'll go to them as opposed to buy.com, walmart.com, borders.com, etc. because of familiarity and the positive experience that you had at Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying Amazon is going under, they run a very good business and I believe that it will last. However, why wouldn't canceling the 10% discount be a logical thing to do for them? In retail, consistently lowering margins is NOT cool, unless you're filling it up from elsewhere. If you're saying that Amazon wants recurring customers then you might be right, but we're not talking about a one-time use 10% off code. This is 10% off all video game/accessory purchases, now that everyone can get it for free (without any strings attached) then it's going to have certain implications on their business, namely lower margins (NOT cool).

even though i joined in early july i signed my brother up today for free

it was like getting 2 months free.... better then nothing

also i used my brothers college address and they did not go this fall so i dont know if i can even use the EDU account if he is not in college anymore..

[quote name='kearns710']Damn went from 1 page to 20 overnight...as for the business side of this I will keep my mouth shut since everyone hates the business explainations from everyone. I think I am one of the few who actually has a degree in BA[/QUOTE]

I am getting my BA in May! Haha, I would like to hear what you have to say, but agree that most people on this thread may not want to.

[quote name='slidecage'][...] i dont know if i can even use the EDU account if he is not in college anymore..[/QUOTE]

As long as the .edu address is still active, it applies the discount.

Thank you to the OP!!

[quote name='pete5883']These 10% codes don't work on MS & Nintendo & PSN points/dollars, do they?[/QUOTE]
They are of the video game accessories section, so yes, they do. The instant online codes for MS Points and XBLA games however do not work.

How long does it take for them to send the email? It's not showing up in my inbox or junkmail folder.

EDIT: Never mind, I just used a different email address so it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='evyrew']As long as the .edu address is still active, it applies the discount.

Thank you to the OP!![/QUOTE]

see that was mostly the point i forgot to make.. they were changing over to a new mail system this fall

awesome, was always too cheap to sign up for ECA before, but i'm never too cheap for free =)

Edit:
Just saw that you get tagged with a recurring fee if you check out your member profile, but you can just cancel it and i will only cancel the recurring fee and not your membership.

[quote name='Skoad']They are of the video game accessories section, so yes, they do. The instant online codes for MS Points and XBLA games however do not work.[/QUOTE]

weak sauce

[quote name='lee7sauce']I'm not saying Amazon is going under, they run a very good business and I believe that it will last. However, why wouldn't canceling the 10% discount be a logical thing to do for them? In retail, consistently lowering margins is NOT cool, unless you're filling it up from elsewhere. If you're saying that Amazon wants recurring customers then you might be right, but we're not talking about a one-time use 10% off code. This is 10% off all video game/accessory purchases, now that everyone can get it for free (without any strings attached) then it's going to have certain implications on their business, namely lower margins (NOT cool).[/QUOTE]

It's the same reason you regularly get coupons in your junk mail at home. While Amazon is offering some percentage off sales, how many more people are buying from Amazon that normally wouldn't because of this percentage of? Of course, even without the discount many people would still use Amazon but they're undoubtedly getting customers that may have just gone somewhere else. It's better to get a sale at $6 off the normal price than to lose that sale entirely.

Amazon is a huge company and I won't profess to know the inner workings, but I'm not particularly worried about them stopping the promotion. Like the guy you quoted says, they're getting promoted and they're making sales because of this coupon. No one's cleaning them out.

[quote name='confoosious']For the last time, if Gamestop, the #1 retailer in the world pays $48 per game, there's no way Amazon pays LESS than that.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you sound like a parent talking to their 3-year old!

Amazon has got to be looking at this in the aggregate. When ECA members use their codes, they may be more inclined to purchase other things on the site- not necessarily on the same order. Consumers come in all economic shapes and sizes if you will; with a free ECA membership and free discount codes for a year, some of those consumers will loosen up the pocketbook more than they would have previously and their additional purchases could potentially more than make up for a 10% video game discount.

Let's see what the market does.

IMO the thing that has made Amazon what it is it outstanding customer service. They treat you so well that you want to buy from them in case something goes wrong. Not to mention they have FSSS if you're not in a hurry and their overnight shipping is usually a fair enough price, heck you can normally order a game with release date delivery cheaper than you can by buying in the store.

thanks op. already this has saved me well over 40 dollars. if they keep the amazon discounts after they expire (i.e. renew) i'll be sure to purchase this membership.

I just signed up and logged in and when looking at the area where you get the 10% off code, it says that these codes expire 9/30/09.

I have never used ECA, will all discount codes expire on 9/30/09 or will the current expire and a new one be issued?

Thanks!

[quote name='sthenic']I just signed up and logged in and when looking at the area where you get the 10% off code, it says that these codes expire 9/30/09.

I have never used ECA, will all discount codes expire on 9/30/09 or will the current expire and a new one be issued?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

NO 1 knows.. they used to but now with millions of free accounts who knows...

funny thing i looked at my old account and says i signed up

july 27 2009 but says i been a member for 15 weeks... it hasnt been 15 weeks since july 27

I signed up but was never asked for a credit card. I got the confirmation email and can log in but I can't access the members page (it tells me to log in). What did I do wrong?

I would think amazon doesn't care, I mean they have x amount of codes, so it doesn't exactly matter if 100 people use 50 codes or 5,000 people use 1 code.
In fact, if this gets more people to buy new games who otherwise would not, it's a great service the eca is providing by making it free.
My $20 paid for itself months ago, though I'd probably be upset if I recently paid.

here's to the codes getting re-upped again, I'm guessing the batch gets used up before the weekend is out

[quote name='slidecage']NO 1 knows.. they used to but now with millions of free accounts who knows...
[/QUOTE]

Millions? I'm not sure about that.

[quote name='snakeneck']I signed up but was never asked for a credit card. I got the confirmation email and can log in but I can't access the members page (it tells me to log in). What did I do wrong?[/QUOTE]

The confirmation link should send you to a page where you put in the credit information (and code). You can't access the members area until you do that .

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back