Free "Games for Windows Live" PC Game

onemorechanc

CAGiversary!
Credit for most information in this post goes to the author here:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...as-Arrived;-Free-PC-Arcade-Available-Now.html

To sum it up, Microsoft revamped the GFWL client, and now you can buy games directly through it. And even better, Arcade titles will be available.

To kick things off, the game "Tinker" is now available for free. And yes, it has achievements ... 15 for 200 GS.

Download the GFWL client:

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/

Information on downloading a game ("Tinker"):

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us/live/Pages/livegetgame.aspx

Also, "Viva Pinata" and "Shadowrun" are 50% off until January 4th, 2010.

Edit -- more info:

You will have the option of paying for games with either:
- credit card
- MS Points
- by redeeming a code

Also, you will be able to download videos and demos for games through the new GFWL client.

All in all, I thnk it is pretty neat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the game, only 67MB, it's not great, but heck, it's free! Who am I to complain! Also, Windows Live PC games give achievements now? That's weird...

[quote name='matsam']Just got the game, only 67MB, it's not great, but heck, it's free! Who am I to complain! Also, Windows Live PC games give achievements now? That's weird...[/QUOTE]

They always did, but most of the PC games that had the Games For Windows logo didn't have them.

Heh, I remember playing this, back when it came with Vista Ultimate.

Also, people need to learn the difference between "Games for Windows" and "Games for Windows LIVE."

The former is a branding initiative that serves only to try to make PC games more easily identifiable on retail store shelves, and doesn't really have anything to do with the games themselves. The latter is an online service that is integrated into a game and facilitates all sorts of online functionality.

I downloaded the Games for Windows Live client and it won't let me login ... I keep getting an 80048882 error.

[quote name='Scorch']Before I DL, how much is Shadowrun? $10?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Well, actually it is $9.99, but you were basically right. If you use MS Points, I think it is 720. I just happened to already own both of the games they had on sale ... too bad for me.

I wish they would put "Halo 2" on there ... I refuse to pay $40+ for an old game that was a port from an old console. That should sell for about $10 as well.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Heh, I remember playing this, back when it came with Vista Ultimate.

Also, people need to learn the difference between "Games for Windows" and "Games for Windows LIVE."

The former is a branding initiative that serves only to try to make PC games more easily identifiable on retail store shelves, and doesn't really have anything to do with the games themselves. The latter is an online service that is integrated into a game and facilitates all sorts of online functionality.[/QUOTE]

Are there any Games for Windows branded games that don't use Live? I'm not aware of any

[quote name='webrunner']Are there any Games for Windows branded games that don't use Live? I'm not aware of any[/QUOTE]

Most.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_for_Windows_titles

The ones with the X is not Live enabled (no home key, friends list, achievements).
The ones with the check mark are. Note, some people never notice: I had a friend beat fallout 3 before I was able to tell him he could have been earning achievements.

In other games, it is more explicit. Dawn of War 2 has a bit logo and button, and forces you to use it for matchmaking in the multiplayer.

Most modern games do come out with the Games for Windows title bar. Most are not Games for Windows- LIVE enabled.

Update: beat me to it. :p

Most of them don't, unfortunately:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_for_Windows_titles

But, I'm also wondering -- if a game has LIVE support, does that mean it has achievements that count towards your Xbox profile? (I recently discovered that my Steam copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum gives me achievements & gamerscore, which is pretty awesome.)

UPDATE: Wow, 2 slow =P

Basically, what I'm asking is: every GFW LIVE game has unlockable achievements?

Yes, every GFWL game has achievements. It's one of the requirements to be certified as GFWL.

GFW is essentially a subset of the features required to be GFWL certified.

[quote name='webrunner']Are there any Games for Windows branded games that don't use Live? I'm not aware of any[/QUOTE]

As has been pointed out several times, yes, most of them. Only about a quarter of Games for Windows-branded games have also been LIVE-enabled, so far.

LIVE-enabled games are pretty clearly branded, like this (note that Dirt 2 is actually the first GFW Live game to use the new GFWL bar at the top; until now, the GFWL branding has looked like this). Regular non-LIVE GFW games look like this.

[quote name='kn00tcn']tinker is/was free with vista ultimate (if i remember)[/QUOTE]
Yup; I already played it a long time ago. I guess not many people actually used Vista Ultimate, so, that's why it seems to be new to most people.

bread's done
Back