Free gift cards question

klyco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have been curious about this for a while but was never sure if it would work. You know how some games come with a free gift card when you buy it? Well, I was wondering if it's possible to buy the game for the card, then return the game itself at a later date and get a full refund?

I got a free gift card when I bought an HDTV, but when I had to return the TV because it was cracked, the store basically took back the free gift card by refunding me the purchase price minus the amount of the card. Of course I knew that would happen ahead of time so I didn't end up freaking out.

Aside from the fact that this is essentially stealing the gift card, most stores are smart enough to not let you do it (generally by taking out the amount of the gift card from the return, or requiring that your return the card as well).

Yeah almost always it shows up on your reciept and your required to return card or they refund you the price - the card.

Normally, the store changes the price of the item to reflect the gift card's value. So, for a $50 game that gets a $15 gift card, the game's price is changed to $35. If you return the game, you're only getting back the $35, the value of the game - gift card's value.

Also, since gift cards aren't returnable, you're usually screwed in getting back that money if you really don't like the item.

I stupidly bought an iPod Photo from Amazon.com just before the video models came out. It came with a $20 iTunes gift certificate. Luckily, Amazon let me return the iPod, but they took the $20 out of the amount I was refunded.

[quote name='klyco']I have been curious about this for a while but was never sure if it would work. You know how some games come with a free gift card when you buy it? Well, I was wondering if it's possible to buy the game for the card, then return the game itself at a later date and get a full refund?[/QUOTE]
No, they wont return your game without the card. Besides, that would kinda be stealing/frauding, which is frowned upon here.

Really. So basically even If I buy an Item for someone and I kept the giftcard that came with the item, and that person returned the gift to the store the card is then useless? Oh well

[quote name='klyco']Really. So basically even If I buy an Item for someone and I kept the giftcard that came with the item, and that person returned the gift to the store the card is then useless? Oh well[/quote]
You're not understanding the situation. Let's explain this again.

Game "X" is advertised for $49.99 w/$15 gift card. You purchase the game, pay $34.99 for the game, and you pay $15 for the $15 gift card. Net purchase cost is $49.99 + tax.

If you return the game to the store you bought it from, you'd be credited back $34.99 + tax. Gift card aren't returnable, so all you'd be getting back (or anyone else with a gift receipt) would be $34.99 + tax. The gift card is still a valid gift card with $15 on it.

Understand it now?

I thin kthe OP was planning on buying a game that came with a GC and giving it to someone as a present, and wanted them to be able to return it.

[quote name='help1']I thin kthe OP was planning on buying a game that came with a GC and giving it to someone as a present, and wanted them to be able to return it.[/quote]

No, I understood the situation, it's that his explaination was unneccessary as all I was pointing out was that sucks if the situation was someone returning the gift (due to dublicate later or some reason) with a gift reciept.

[quote name='klyco']No, I understood the situation, it's that his explaination was unneccessary as all I was pointing out was that sucks if the situation was someone returning the gift (due to dublicate later or some reason) with a gift reciept.[/quote]
If someone returned the game with a gift receipt, they'd get the item's purchased value back as store credit, which is no different than any other gift receipt return. In this case, the item's value is less than the "normal" price because it's value is lessened than the value of the gift card.

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']Well if you kept the giftcard and the person returned it with out a receipt how would the store know they got the giftcard?[/quote] None of the stores that are offering gift cards w/purchase would likely take back an item without a receipt. BB & CC, extremely unlikely. Target might, though they'd likely give back the cheapest price for the item, which would likely be at the price paid with the gift card's purchase.

[quote name='shrike4242']

None of the stores that are offering gift cards w/purchase would likely take back an item without a receipt. BB & CC, extremely unlikely. Target might, though they'd likely give back the cheapest price for the item, which would likely be at the price paid with the gift card's purchase.[/quote]

Though Walmart will take anything (if they still do that)

bread's done
Back