Free Killzone Shadow Fall Season Pass at Best Buy - YMMV?

kannofan

CAGiversary!
The other day I went to Best Buy and in the PS4 section saw this Killzone Shadow Fall Season Pass for PS4 marked down to FREE.

1ZXbFQFl.jpg

Cashier tried to ring it up but it kept charging the $19.99. 20 minutes later or so, a manager came over and did an override.

Now, I just have to get the game.

Receipt proof.

u6eudTRl.jpg

Hope this helps someone else!

Just wanted to let people know I tried but the manager said it was only free if you bought the game itself with it. I was tempted to try a buy + return but knew I would run into problems so I declined. My roommate already has Shadow Fall.
Thats not a bad deal. I would buy another copy to gift if that was the case.

Just wanted to let people know I tried but the manager said it was only free if you bought the game itself with it. I was tempted to try a buy + return but knew I would run into problems so I declined. My roommate already has Shadow Fall.
That is what the manager of my local Best Buy told me last year when I saw the Halo 4 Season pass listed as "free" on the sticker above the cards. I picked out one and took it to the gaming department register, the video gaming rep scanned it and it came up as $0.00. I asked him if I could grab another one and he said sure, but when he scanned the second one it all of a sudden scanned as $24.99. The rep said he would have to call over a manager to do an override, and everything went downhill from that point on. The manager that came is one of those managers that deny everything. The last time I had an encounter with him was when he denied the use of an @Gamer coupon because he claimed I couldn't combine it with a "sale price", mind you with the coupon + sale price the game still cost like $9.99 or $14.99. He immediately said he can't do an override as each one of those cost $24.99. I showed him the sign over the cards that stated "Free", to which he informed me that it is only free if it was bought in combination with the game. I pulled up my order and told him I literally bought the game a few days ago in this specific store, and if there was anything he could do for me. He once again said no because I would have to purchase both of the items at the same time. So at that point I told him I would like to buy another game and return the other one, he just shook his head and said he could no longer offer me the promotion because it was already "over". I told him that the sign is very misleading then, because it just states that it is "free" and nothing about any kind of promotion that is required. He said I was right about that, and told the gaming rep to take down the sign. This is the same guy that sold my reserved copy of Halo 4 Limited Edition to his buddy, as my reserved copy "magically" vanished on launch day and one of the other customer service reps stated she saw him remove the in-store pickup confirmation with my name on it and sell that copy to his friend who he let into the store 15 minutes before opening.

Anyways back on topic, so what is the moral of the story you ask? Don't be greedy, had I stayed with one I would have gotten the deal... lol!

That is what the manager of my local Best Buy told me last year when I saw the Halo 4 Season pass listed as "free" on the sticker above the cards. I picked out one and took it to the gaming department register, the video gaming rep scanned it and it came up as $0.00. I asked him if I could grab another one and he said sure, but when he scanned the second one it all of a sudden scanned as $24.99. The rep said he would have to call over a manager to do an override, and everything went downhill from that point on. The manager that came is one of those managers that deny everything. The last time I had an encounter with him was when he denied the use of an @Gamer coupon because he claimed I couldn't combine it with a "sale price", mind you with the coupon + sale price the game still cost like $9.99 or $14.99. He immediately said he can't do an override as each one of those cost $24.99. I showed him the sign over the cards that stated "Free", to which he informed me that it is only free if it was bought in combination with the game. I pulled up my order and told him I literally bought the game a few days ago in this specific store, and if there was anything he could do for me. He once again said no because I would have to purchase both of the items at the same time. So at that point I told him I would like to buy another game and return the other one, he just shook his head and said he could no longer offer me the promotion because it was already "over". I told him that the sign is very misleading then, because it just states that it is "free" and nothing about any kind of promotion that is required. He said I was right about that, and told the gaming rep to take down the sign. This is the same guy that sold my reserved copy of Halo 4 Limited Edition to his buddy, as my reserved copy "magically" vanished on launch day and one of the other customer service reps stated she saw him remove the in-store pickup confirmation with my name on it and sell that copy to his friend who he let into the store 15 minutes before opening.

Anyways back on topic, so what is the moral of the story you ask? Don't be greedy, had I stayed with one I would have gotten the deal... lol!

You should stay clear of that manager lol, looks like he got a beef with you for some apparent reason haha.

I'm gonna take my receipt from buying KZSF last month to my local BB and see if they'll honor this free pass. I'd love to nail it free.

I hope to heck you reported him, not to mention complained to a district manager or the phone line.

I hope to heck you reported him, not to mention complained to a district manager or the phone line.
The only thing I complained to Best Buy about was the fact that he sold my reserved copy of Halo 4 Limited Edition. I was told the day before by one of the customer service reps that my copy was labelled and in the back room ready for pickup as soon as the doors open tomorrow. We didn't have a midnight launching, but I was the very first person in line at Best Buy the next day. As soon as I entered the store I immediately went to the in-store pickup desk where I was greeted by this said manager. I gave him my pre-order confirmation and he tried handing me a Halo 4 Standard edition. I told him that I had pre-ordered a Limited Edition for $119.99 and not a standard edition. He then told me I must be mistaking as they only had three pre-orders for the limited edition, which he knew by heart and my name wasn't on that list. That information was also false, since the day before when I was told that my copy was in the backroom I was shown a list that had 12 pre-orders for the limited edition. He also made the mistake of saying that those three copies had already been picked up, since I was the very first customer to enter after the store had officially opened. Knowing that the information he was feeding me was false, I politely told him that I was at the store the day before and was informed that my copy was in the backroom with my name written on it. He didn't even bother checking the back room, he just said I was misinformed as they only received three copies and none of those were for me. He then said if somebody told me otherwise, I should come back in the evening and talk to them about it as the same people who worked last night are schedule on shift again today. As he was telling me that I noticed that the CSR standing next to him kept looking over and would then text someone. I ended up returning in the evening to talk to the two reps who I had spoken to the day before about my copy being in the backroom, they informed me that the manager let three of his buddies into the store before opening hours and sold them each a limited edition copy that someone else had pre-ordered. I was shocked, I immediately asked them how they knew that he had done that. They told me that the CSR that worked the opening shift with him saw him tear off the in-store pickup labels from three of the Halo 4 Limited Editions, which included my reserved copy since she remembered seeing my name on it. It turns out that the person she was texting during my encounter with that manager was one of the other CSR's from the evening shift, she was actively updating him on how this manager sold my reserved copy to one of his buddies and was now playing dumb claiming that I never pre-ordered the limited edition. She was even nice enough to recover my in-store pickup slip and hide it for the evening shift. As far as the three buddies are concerned, they were also still there when I tried to pickup my copy. I recognized one of the guys as a former employee, and I asked if the other two also worked at Best Buy. The other two guys confirmed what I already knew, which was the fact that they don't work there. I was pretty furious, considering I had placed my pre-order a few months prior to release and had the opportunity to pre-order this at different retail stores. Not to mention they kept doing rotating charges once a week to confirm that the funds were available, which would constantly tie up my funds for months. The reps also informed me that this manager has a God complex because of his title, and therefore thinks he can do what he wants.

I called the Premier Silver hotline and tried to explain what happened as calmly as possible because I was pretty darn upset as this guy treated me like an idiot. I wasn't able to include all the information that the other reps told me about what he had done, as I didn't want to get them in trouble or fired. Not to mention I had no real proof of what he had done to backup any such claim. However, I was able to complain about the fact that I had a valid pre-order for the limited edition for in-store pickup at that specific location and the guy tried to play me off with a standard edition and then tried to give me the run around. I stated that I found it rather strange that I was the very first customer in line to enter the store, yet according to this manager all the limited edition pre-orders had already been picked up. Which could only mean that he was either lying to me, or he allowed people to pickup these orders prior to the official opening hours. I then informed the CSR over the phone that when I returned in the evening to see if they were able to track down my reserved copy, they were able to find a torn pickup slip for the limited edition with my name on it. Which meant that the manager had lied to me since since the store printed out a pre-order confirmation for my reserved copy at some point. The CSR I spoke to over the phone was very polite and kept apologizing for my experience. He kept offering me a $50 gift card for my troubles, but I told him that the reason I called was to file a formal complaint against that manager and not try to get anything out of it.

P.S. Sorry for the long story, I got a bit carried away with my rant.

Guys any BB near this zipcode which has it ?

i went to my nearest BB and it didn't had this promo :( anyone else in this area who got this deal ?

Thanks OP. No price was shown when I grabbed mine, but I tried at checkout anyway. Manager only allowed two free for me.

Wait I thought all the Killzone DLC was supposed to be free...? Isn't that what they said or am I missing something.
Only the competitive maps will be free. Other future competitive content and 4-player coop mode/maps aren't.

Last edited by a moderator:
None at my best buy.. but if anyone would be willing to pick me up one, it would be much appreciated!

I tried at Best Buy in Niles, IL., right by Golf Mill. They did not know anything of it. The manager said they offered it for free for a limited time for people that bought it on launch. I showed him the thread and said they manager that gave this for free was dumb, but who ever got it was lucky!! I agree, and congrats to who ever scored this for free!!!

When I worked at BB this happened more than you think... if the price sticker is correct and shows the item we are required to honor the price.  However only one person will get the deal, if the price has to have an override, we remove the price tag after we finish the transaction.  After seeing the photo in the OP, we would honor that as it clearly states free and the correct item is listed.

Sometimes the people doing pricing every night miss one or print out an error tag and someone gets a deal.  It is a rough job, I did it one night cause they were short staffed.  You literally go through the entire store and print a new tag for every single item!!  there are chances for error all the time.  The likelyhood that someone else will be able to get this is VERY slim!

I tried at Best Buy in Niles, IL., right by Golf Mill. They did not know anything of it. The manager said they offered it for free for a limited time for people that bought it on launch. I showed him the thread and said they manager that gave this for free was dumb, but who ever got it was lucky!! I agree, and congrats to who ever scored this for free!!!
People actually do this? I would laugh at you if you tried to use a thread as proof to get the deal.

First rule of CAG. Don't talk about CAG to retail stores! :)

I did not reference the site, merely said this is what I found on the interwebs. The guy is not going to call corporate as it wasn't his store and could care less. The guy was right, who ever got this was lucky because the manager was a dumbass for pricematching. If anyone thinks this was an actual "deal", there's something wrong with you too.

I started working at Best Buy on the 17th of November, and my first task was to reprint labels for everything around the race track. I ended up running into this label (again, on November 17th), and went and asked my manager if this was right because being a gamer I'm well aware  that DLC rarely goes on sale, especially for free. He said what the hell to the "free" label and said don't put it up, so I didn't. Someone else did the next week though and I believe they are all gone now.

People actually do this? I would laugh at you if you tried to use a thread as proof to get the deal.
Lol well then you would probably get b****ed at by your boss if you laughed at a customer.

I had a few things I wanted to pick up anyways, why not try it while I'm there? It might surprise you but no spotlights were shining on me, nobody took out a megaphone and asked "what the hell are you doing?!", no employee raised a cross to me and said "get away", they didn't take a photo of me and put it on their wall with the label "what a loser", and I didn't get a disease from asking. They actually almost gave me the deal but when they said it has to be from their store I simply said, "Okay thanks I just wanted to check". It wasn't some God-awful awkward experience where the employees I don't even know will remember me forever like you think it would be lol; I'm sure they get way dumber questions every hour.

I swear it's funny the things people won't do because they think it is to stupid or are to afraid to do it when it isn't a big deal.

I know this thread is kinda old, but if anyone has a code lying around with no use for it, it'd be awesome if you could shoot me a PM :)

bread's done
Back