Free-Mason Sword

SnesGuy

CAGiversary!
Not game related but pretty cool.
random buy/sell/trade find off face book.

Was unsure about it because of the amount of
reproductions there are around, but the patina on
everything looks right, materials look right.

going to have to do some more research into it later
I did some research on it a few weeks ago, (when it was first posted on FB)
If I remember correctly, I think I decided it was circa 1940?

Only paid $40 for it. (original asking price was $150)
(picture is the one the seller took)

sword.jpg

Well I have my brother trying to look up the name on the sword.
Hoping to find an obituary or census record off him to help better date it
(on the leather case it has the name a third time as well as a state and city)

well after some detective work, between the makers mark, info i found on the original owner and a comparable i found on eBay, Its 1920's depression era. a bit older than i originally thought.

Stuff like this interests me... Wish I could get my hands on something like it. Thanks for posting, and keep us updated if anything else comes up.

I imagine this was a pretty pricey thing for the depression considering all the silver plating and enamel inlays.

The most interesting thing symbolically to me on the sword is the image of emperor Constantine on his knees seeing the cross in the sky with it reading in Latin around the sunburst "with this sign thou shalt conquer"

@ Mixer236 yea it interests me too. I thought there would be others interested here as well. Im also very happy with what I paid. The ebay price comps are $300 - $500. I think it warrants being in the bragging rights section =P

[quote name='Potatoeman']Wow, pretty damn good find! Mag-neato[/QUOTE]

haha thanks. I also found out the original owners DOB & death as well as his fathers obituary that mentions ties to the free masons. printed it to go with the sword if I ever decide to sell it.

and the sword actually seems to be a knights templar sword (masonic sub tradition) marking the man as a Sir Knight.

That's pretty cool how you can track the original owners... I would just be awed by the fact that I bought a classy sword for $40.

[quote name='Vinny']That's pretty cool how you can track the original owners... I would just be awed by the fact that I bought a classy sword for $40.[/QUOTE]

haha yea I'm still pretty excited by it, but with how many people try to fake things, I wanted to provide something to show its legitimacy (better resell value?) and it adds to the coolness factor to know the swords history. :D

[quote name='SnesGuy']haha yea I'm still pretty excited by it, but with how many people try to fake things, I wanted to provide something to show its legitimacy (better resell value?) and it adds to the coolness factor to know the swords history. :D[/QUOTE]

I know very little about this type of thing but from what I've seen on shows like Pawn Stars (I know... reality TV) documentation is everything when it comes to demanding a high resale value. If you've got copies of obituaries or other documents that can place this sword in the hand of its owner and that he has ties to groups with significant historical importance you just did yourself a huge favor!

I don't have the spending money to collect this type of stuff but it has always fascinated me. I suppose with summer almost being here I'll have to spend some serious time at yardsales to see if I can find anything half as cool for what you originally paid.

lol where I live yardsale season will be over with full summer here. I've been out every sat since late feb.

Not sure if this trumps my find of a large box of CIB Sega CD games for $2 or not.
profit percentage ($200 from $2), no. coolness factor and est value, yes. lol.

the best i could narrow the actual date of the sword was 1900 - 1930s I have the mans death date and whatnot, not like I can find out when exactly he was made a Sir Knight =P

so yes it can be earlier than depression era.
Kind of hard to date exactly unless I contacted descendants, and they actually knew something.

pretty much google. my brother did some of the work. i think he used some of the ancestery type sites. having the leather case with the mans first, middle initial, and last name plus a city and state really helped =P

You should try to get it to those Pawn Stars guys and make them think they're about score it for $10. Act like you're about to accept their offer, but just as you're about say "yes", pretend like you got a call from a museum (or something) who offers you $12 and then say "deal" on the phone and walk away.

[quote name='xlaxparkax']Can you kill people with it?[/QUOTE]

of coarse! It is pointy. hmm wonder how that would effect the value

[quote name='SnesGuy']of coarse! It is pointy. hmm wonder how that would effect the value[/QUOTE]

Depends on who you kill- I bet you can make bank with if you run Justin Beiber through with it. :lol:

(disclaimer: DuelLadyS does not actually advocate the killing of musicians, no matter how loosely the term may be appiled.)

[quote name='SnesGuy']the best i could narrow the actual date of the sword was 1900 - 1930s I have the mans death date and whatnot, not like I can find out when exactly he was made a Sir Knight =P

so yes it can be earlier than depression era.
Kind of hard to date exactly unless I contacted descendants, and they actually knew something.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever thought of contacting the Masonic temple in the city you found on the sword? They might give you information you wouldn't be able to find on your own.

[quote name='SnesGuy']Care to elaborate? lol[/QUOTE]

Sure! My sword looks one way, this one looks different from that. hence, it looks nothing like mine. pervert. lol

bread's done
Back