FREE Motorstorm RC for PS Vita (starting tomorrow!)

Fun game, I was planning on buying it so saved some money today. I really hope Sony continues to release a good amount of cheap psn games on a routine basis. Some the best games so far have been psn exclusives- Motorstorm, super stardust, mutant blobs attack and escape plan. Cheaper, quality games like these could help them realize some of the success apple has been having in the handheld market and set them apart from the 3ds.

Love the Motostorm games but this one is not my cup of tea. I find it hard to control and the whole RC thing isnt as fun as normal Motostorm stuff.

[quote name='BREVITY']Love the Motostorm games but this one is not my cup of tea. I find it hard to control and the whole RC thing isnt as fun as normal Motostorm stuff.[/QUOTE]

I find the controls meh..

Sucks for me. I ordered my vita but it's not shipping for up to 2 weeks. I cashed in points on sony CC to buy it so i can't just cancel & order from amazon.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Just so everyone knows, during the FL0W promotion last year, even though it was in your download history, once the promotion ended, it wasn't in it anymore. It is unknown if this promotion will be the same. Regardless, I just downloaded it to my vita. Woohoo! Hopefully Super Stardust Delta will go on sale soon ;-)[/QUOTE]

I can certainly see this happening considering what you're getting here is the "Scion exclusive version" and once the promotion goes away good luck finding it again on the PSN in order to download again in the future. In order to avoid 'losing' the game I suggest you use the Vita content manager to copy M:RC over to your PS3 for storage purposes whenever you feel the need to free space on your Vita memory card.

It's nice that it was offered for free but so far, it looks like a PSP game to me.
What good is all the power of the Vita if all the games look like last gen?

I wonder if it is hard to program for.

I would love some PS3 classics like GTAIV, Assassin's Creed, God of War, Gran Turismo, etc to be translated.

Controls take time to get used to but very responsive after some practice. I see they have DLC under trophies called RC Pro AM. This game already brings back the good old NES days.

[quote name='Zimmy']It's nice that it was offered for free but so far, it looks like a PSP game to me.
What good is all the power of the Vita if all the games look like last gen?

I wonder if it is hard to program for.

I would love some PS3 classics like GTAIV, Assassin's Creed, God of War, Gran Turismo, etc to be translated.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was a bit taken aback by the presentation when I first launched. But granted I only played the tutorial level and it's free, so no way I'm complaining. But I can see how competing on the leaderboards can be fun.

A Gran Turismo on the Vita would be epically sweet. Even if it only offered PS2 graphics, I still think that would be impressive.

[quote name='JawnMan']
A Gran Turismo on the Vita would be epically sweet. Even if it only offered PS2 graphics, I still think that would be impressive.[/QUOTE]

Remote play Gran Turismo 2. Sure it's a ps1 game and you need to have a ps3, but I thought it was excellent game. Also, I think the psp version works on the vita, but I've heard that there isn't a career mode on it.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']Remote play Gran Turismo 2. Sure it's a ps1 game and you need to have a ps3, but I thought it was excellent game. Also, I think the psp version works on the vita, but I've heard that there isn't a career mode on it.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, Gran Turismo 2 was really good (still got it on my ps1). I especially found the menus WAY easier to navigate and better for finding specific cars than with GT5. I don't know about the PSP version. Reviews say it's lackluster for the reason you pointed out.

But really with the Vita, almost any series on the consoles can be effectively handled on the portable, right? So it's not just GT. Yakuza, Final Fantasy, Dark Souls. There's a lot of potential.

I still need to try out remote play though. Maybe I'll do it with Final Fantasy VII.

Good thing this was free... those controls are funky. Two options, and neither necessarily feel right. I would have been incredibly disappointed if I had paid for this. Worth a try for free though.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Good thing this was free... those controls are funky. Two options, and neither necessarily feel right. I would have been incredibly disappointed if I had paid for this. Worth a try for free though.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts 100% when I played this last night. Maybe the controls will grow on me, but I doubt it.

[quote name='finsfan0210']Free is free but I agree these control options just plain suck.[/QUOTE]

It isn't a free game, it appears as a pay as you play type to 'unlock' cars for cash. No sane person would actually buy the game.

Sad to see folks let down. If you give it a chance its a fun game. You can change all the controls so I wouldn't worry about that. I switched accelerate and break to R and L shoulder buttons and now I'm doing much better. One of the car types swing side to side way to much so things get difficult but overall I found it really enjoyable. I love this top down view (mostly) racing. The levels are short but with different and challenging turns and jumps. I'm quite happy with it. To those let down you really ought to give it another shot. I had a hard time putting it down.

Edit: I should note that I did try the PS3 version but I didn't do as good there. I need to adjust the controls as it wasn't as smooth using R2/L2 to accelerate and break but with the Vita it felt great. Also not sure if its how the game was designed but the text can be rather small on the Vita screen.

It's actually pretty good. My main concern was that this would be another Yaris (if people remember that abomination on the 360). I personally wouldn't pay more than 5$ for this, but it's better then I expected. The controls definitely take a while to get used to.

This game is definitely enjoyable for free. I didn't think the controls were difficult at all. If you leave the controls on default the R stick accelerates in the up position and reverses in the down position. As for the steering, if you imagine yourself actually in the driver seat, you move the R stick in the same directions.

Controls aside, the aerial view is the only usable view, and the frame rate just flat out stinks.

No question this is a $2.99 game. And most of the ghosts I automatically race against are SLOWER than me. Just... crazy.

Free is free, though. It's not worth much more than that. 6/10.

Not sure if any of you guys decided to check the OPTIONS menu, but the controls are fully customizable.

I was super pumped for this game, but I just don't like it that much. As everyone else has said, the controls just don't feel right. The whole time I've played it, I just kept thinking how this 99 cent tablet/phone game feels so much better. http://www.pixelbite.se/?page_id=6

Oh well, I can't complain too much for free.

[quote name='czissis']I was super pumped for this game, but I just don't like it that much. As everyone else has said, the controls just don't feel right. The whole time I've played it, I just kept thinking how this 99 cent tablet/phone game feels so much better. http://www.pixelbite.se/?page_id=6

Oh well, I can't complain too much for free.[/QUOTE]

You know you can change the controls how you want them and I disagree motorstorm rc is much better then the reckless games.

[quote name='czissis']I was super pumped for this game, but I just don't like it that much. As everyone else has said, the controls just don't feel right. The whole time I've played it, I just kept thinking how this 99 cent tablet/phone game feels so much better. http://www.pixelbite.se/?page_id=6

Oh well, I can't complain too much for free.[/QUOTE]

The controls feel great once you change accelerate and brake to the L and R shoulder buttons. After a few races with that change along, the game feels fantastic and I am mastering courses one after another. I ended up sinking about 2hrs into races last night, obtaining more than half of the medals in the game. This game definitely feels worth more than a 99 cent tablet game, and the $9.99 is fair (any more would be questionable).

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Good thing this was free... those controls are funky. Two options, and neither necessarily feel right. I would have been incredibly disappointed if I had paid for this. Worth a try for free though.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. I barely played past the tutorial, and then went back to MLB 12. Free is about the right price for this game!

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']The controls feel great once you change accelerate and brake to the L and R shoulder buttons. After a few races with that change along, the game feels fantastic and I am mastering courses one after another.[/QUOTE]

This control scheme made the game MUCH better. Thanks!

I didn't have any problems with the default controls once I had it in my mind that I was driving an RC vehicle. It's just like some of the controllers. Game is a lot of fun.

Personally I've always thought the controls in Motorstorm games sucked 8o(. They've always just felt off to me, so much so I didn't even pick up any of the games when I've seen then on clearance.

And also, yes, GTA on the PSP gets boring quick due to no progression. The controls are ok, graphics are pretty good...but gameplay is severely lacking. Got it on clearance so I wasn't too upset but I didn't play it very long either so.

I must be in the minority, because I think the game is fun and addicting - as long as you remap the controls. I mirrored the controls for Wipeout so it wouldn't screw me up going from one game to the other.

Would I have been disappointed paying $7.99? Not at all, so for free, it's a hell of a game.

[quote name='jaso']I must be in the minority, because I think the game is fun and addicting - as long as you remap the controls. I mirrored the controls for Wipeout so it wouldn't screw me up going from one game to the other.

Would I have been disappointed paying $7.99? Not at all, so for free, it's a hell of a game.[/QUOTE]
Completely agree, infact Im considering getting the PS3 version.

[quote name='BetaDemo']I can certainly see this happening considering what you're getting here is the "Scion exclusive version" and once the promotion goes away good luck finding it again on the PSN in order to download again in the future. In order to avoid 'losing' the game I suggest you use the Vita content manager to copy M:RC over to your PS3 for storage purposes whenever you feel the need to free space on your Vita memory card.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that'll be the case this time around. If you go back even further to 2008 or 2009, Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic was free for a limited time, it was a promotion with Sprint. About 4 years later that game is still on my purchase history. Decent, mindless, party fighting game, btw.

I think that we should all be ok simply by "purchasing" it on the ps store. If you're tight on space or hate having those install bubbles on you're xmb you will most likely have access to it in the future.

The amount of people I've seen complain about this games controls while completely neglecting to see if you can change them, is just staggering.

I think the game is really fun, but it's not the Motorstorm I know and love. Apolocolypse sucked, they need to give me a Vita version of Pacific Rift!

@Nep.

Yea but changing the controls (while easy) is kind of strange too. I would have thought that it'd have been more intuitive for the way the game works.

@III

I use the joystick towards the direction I want to go, x for gas, a o for brake.

That keeps it closer to what I'm used to. I still have issues with REAL R/C cars because my mind doesn't compensate for changes in directions. And that happens ALOT in game.

I'm debating spending the 7.50 for the PS+ PS3 version.

I love this game also but it was challenging trying to get all three medals for each event. However, I did enjoy the default controls (right stick gas/brake, left stick steer) since holding X in Wipeout made my thumb sore after a while.

This game is pretty addicting and fun. I played it for hours already and even bought a 50 cent car. I got use to the controls in about fifteen minutes but they are difficult to master.

bread's done
Back