Free Onlive Game Console with Darksiders 2 Preorder

dejeckt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
Get a free OnLive Game System with the preorder of Darksiders 2 for $49.99 (also free upgrade to limited edition).
* You'll get a coupon for the console after the preorder. You'll be charge $10 for 2 day shipping. (thnx lupe guillotine)

"Pre-order Darksiders II and join Death in a battle for redemption that spans the dark and light realms. Pre-orders include a free upgrade to the Limited Edition!

Limited Time Offer:
Act by June 28 and receive an OnLive Game System ($99 value), FREE!* Already have the game system? Give it to a friend! Strike fast—before this deal expires."

http://www.onlive.com/games/details...source=iPost&utm_medium=email#&type=bragclips

I'm not sure how worthwhile this deal is, but just spreading the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd almost be interested, except my TV is plugged into a wireless bridge and well...I actually do have a decent PC and all consoles. I always think these deals are cool, though.

and they just shipped my console. You get a coupon after you buy the game and then use the coupon to buy the system separately. They charge you $10 for 2 day shipping.

I'll stick with Steam. Onlive uses too much bandwidth.

(One user reported that it used 1.5gb after just 30 minutes of playing)

As a console owner I say its a pretty cool gadget as a gamer. Their deals are worthwhile considering the criticism that its a "rental service that will go bankrupt" or something.

I've gotten many games for under 20 bucks/10 bucks that I didn't want to spend the money on a PS3 version.

Also I've sold my extra console on a deal like this on EBAY for like 70 bucks.

Good deal I'm an Onlive fan although I do understand certain peoples fears about it

Anyone know if this comes with the newer universal controller (that can be used on Android or other devices with bluetooth) or the old wireless controller?

I grabbed this same type of deal on Assassin's Creed: Revelations but this was before they released the newer universal controller so it has the older one.

[quote name='Scorch']I'll stick with Steam. Onlive uses too much bandwidth.

(One user reported that it used 1.5gb after just 30 minutes of playing)[/QUOTE]Great reason not to use it right there. Wow.

[quote name='Motoki']Anyone know if this comes with the newer universal controller (that can be used on Android or other devices with bluetooth) or the old wireless controller?

I grabbed this same type of deal on Assassin's Creed: Revelations but this was before they released the newer universal controller so it has the older one.[/QUOTE]

i believe it's the older controller. I won't know till I get it.

About the bandwidth: yes, it does take a good amount of bandwidth with the service. I am lucky I don't have my old provider and have a cap on it. I think the minimum is 3.0 mbs download for a nice streaming of games.

I kinda wish netflix will buy out onlive so they could have a shot at it. This console would've made whole lot more sense if it was release with the next generation of consoles.

Does anyone know if the console itself can be hacked/modded to do other stuff? Even if its older controller, can I use it on my PC?

As for bandwidth I played through 20 hours of Deus Ex with it. not sure how much it ate but I never got a notice or anything. Of course I don't play a ton of games on it for extended periods of time nor do I play alot of PSN multiplayer

[quote name='Scorch']I'll stick with Steam. Onlive uses too much bandwidth.

(One user reported that it used 1.5gb after just 30 minutes of playing)[/QUOTE]

I haven't had it use that much when I tested it a few times last year and I've read that bandwidth use has decreased recently, though I haven't tested it lately for myself.

edit: Anyone who is curious can do this for themselves. Download netlimiter for free. Then download the OnLive client and time how long you play any trial on the service. You can then see exactly how much bandwidth the client used in netlimiter.

[quote name='dejeckt']I kinda wish netflix will buy out onlive so they could have a shot at it. This console would've made whole lot more sense if it was release with the next generation of consoles.

Does anyone know if the console itself can be hacked/modded to do other stuff? Even if its older controller, can I use it on my PC?[/QUOTE]

I believe the controller has a USB dongle so you could probably use it on the PC. I'll have to try it out when I get home. I already have a wireless 360 controller I use on the PC so never thought to try the Onlive one.

I think think the microconsole can be hacked to do anything else. There's not much to it. I believe some chip inside that maybe handles the compression/decompression a little better because I swear the image quality is better off the microconsole vs just using Onlive on my PC. Don't expect a full 360 or PS3 level of hardware inside that thing though.

I have a 3Mb connection, and Onlive is definitley playable but at the expense of poor graphics. The interface is excellent, all the free demos, playpacks and being able to spectate just about any game are something MS and Sony need to take note of. I like many others just cant afford higher prices for internet plus the risk of using too much bandwidth and my ISP cutting me off.

[quote name='shrike4242']Great reason not to use it right there. Wow.[/QUOTE]

It is for people that have bandwidth caps.

I'm pretty sure that I'm reading Netlimiter right...if so, playing the trial version of Duke Nukem Forever for like 10-15 minutes used up 575MB of bandwidth...yeah no thanks.

Genuinely surprised it is still around. Not surprised that they keep having to give the console away for free.

It's not that bad. It works well for some people in some areas. It's just hard to say without trying it on your on connection. Definitely do a free trial or something first before jumping in though.

The visual quality is actually better on the microconsole in my experience so there must be some chip that does something.

Also, it's obviously not a well suited service for people who want to game a lot and have low bandwidth caps.

In some circumstances for some people it's a good service. For others not so much. It just all depends on your situation.

bread's done
Back