Free PC Games: Area 51, Full Spectrum Warrior, more!

[quote name='zalman']Why is the US Air Force sponsoring a game about fighting aliens at one of their secret research bases? Are they trying to tell us something?[/QUOTE]

:D Hmm...I do wonder sometimes :D And look at the end credits on Stargate: SG1 :cold:

[quote name='toadielurks']According to the filepfront website, Area 51 and Rise & Fall have a no time expiration - besides, free is free[/QUOTE]

That's good, because those are the two I'm interested in. But...does Area 51 still have some kind of nasty DRM? It seems like I really wanted to buy it back in the day (good reviews, plus Mulder!) but didn't because it had some weird DRM...unless I'm thinking of the second game, but I don't think so...

[quote name='chrisnsally']Yeah, got a virus warning from Avast for Area51 as well. Nice. It's punishment for downloading a mediocre-at-best game, I guess.

Thanks, Filefront![/QUOTE]

I'm using Avira, so we'll see...

[quote name='Wolfpup']:D Hmm...I do wonder sometimes :D And look at the end credits on Stargate: SG1 :cold:

That's good, because those are the two I'm interested in. But...does Area 51 still have some kind of nasty DRM? It seems like I really wanted to buy it back in the day (good reviews, plus Mulder!) but didn't because it had some weird DRM...unless I'm thinking of the second game, but I don't think so...

I'm using Avira, so we'll see...[/QUOTE]

Well, the retail version of 'Area 51' had secuRom on it and it was a bitch to remove it from my PC after I'd finsihed with the retail version. I doubt this downloadable version contains it though - although you never can be sure.

[quote name='toadielurks']Well, the retail version of 'Area 51' had secuRom on it and it was a bitch to remove it from my PC after I'd finsihed with the retail version. I doubt this downloadable version contains it though - although you never can be sure.[/quote]

It turns my anti virus off everytime I play it, I think I'm just going to trash it, it's nothing special anyway.

I think the retail version of Area 51 actually had starforce on it out of the box. The devs put out a patch that removed starforce and actually made the game playable without having the CDRom in the drive.

As for the virus warning, I know that on other ad supported games like this antivirus programs will pick up the ad loader as a virus since the loader is used as a portal to download current ads to your machine.

Awesome, thanks OP! Loved Full Spectrum Warrior when I played it back on the original Xbox. Area 51 from what I remember was pretty good when I played it on the PS2. Downloading both right now on my shiny brand new Asus gaming laptop!

[quote name='toadielurks']Well, the retail version of 'Area 51' had secuRom on it and it was a bitch to remove it from my PC after I'd finsihed with the retail version. I doubt this downloadable version contains it though - although you never can be sure.[/QUOTE]

Okay, thanks. Yeah, that was what I must have been thinking of. I would have bought the game, but once again DRM prevents a sale, while doing nothing to stop people from stealing it :roll:

Well, I sure hope this dosen't have it, although I'm not entirely confident about that. Geez...even for FREE I'm iffy on dealing with DRM...

[quote name='zdragon180']same thing over here. For me it says the 3rd file is corrupted. what about you?[/quote]

Yea, same here.

Well I do have area 51 and the suffering. Actually the only reason I bought area51 was for David Doucovy.

Anyways, I will give Full Spec Warrior a try though since I was never that interested when it was first out for the xbox(and maybe other consoles). Kind of nice to see them coming out for free though. I mean really there is no one buying them anymore, and I really don't see that much demand for these games like you would for the original half life or original deus ex or something like that so I am assuming that the publisher and devs are not really hemming and hawing about losing money...

Area 51 Ad "Fix"

www.twenzor.org/LAN/midway_area51_sw_fix.zip

1. Replace A51.exe
2. (Optional) Delete dfh folder for cosmetic purposes.
3. ???
4. Profit!

I'm not posting details about this because everytime I do, my posts gets deleted, but it's pretty obvious how this works. I can't test The Suffering on my laptop due to integrated graphics, but I'll test out FSW and post a similar 'fix'.

Nice I have been wanting to play Full Spectrum Warrior for a long time now. I sold My Xbox before I got a chance to play it.

[quote name='zalman']Why is the US Air Force sponsoring a game about fighting aliens at one of their secret research bases? Are they trying to tell us something?[/quote]
hahha they want you to play it for free so go and do so

Sweet, I used this and then used the official patch to get it up to current build.

[quote name='twen']Area 51 Ad "Fix"

www.twenzor.org/LAN/midway_area51_sw_fix.zip

1. Replace A51.exe
2. (Optional) Delete dfh folder for cosmetic purposes.
3. ???
4. Profit!

I'm not posting details about this because everytime I do, my posts gets deleted, but it's pretty obvious how this works. I can't test The Suffering on my laptop due to integrated graphics, but I'll test out FSW and post a similar 'fix'.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The Nephilim']Sweet, I used this and then used the official patch to get it up to current build.[/QUOTE]

Hah, I didn't even know there was a newer retail build, thanks.

bread's done
Back