Free PSN theme with Donation

edson13

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/18/japan-tsunami-appeal-on-psn/

Make a donation to the American Red Cross via the Playstation store and receive the theme
5538004674_84af9c6754_z.jpg

Donated $25.

I'm using it right now; I like the colours. But does anybody know how to separate the menu bar thing from the background? I'd still prefer to use my MGS4 calligraphy menu bar over the default PS3 menu bar.

[quote name='Todd33']Donating for? Japan, one of the richest countries on the planet?

Meanwhile destitute people live in poverty all over the world and get no fundraiser, sad. I guess it takes a disaster to get people's attention.[/QUOTE]
I donated to Japan because Japanese culture has had a significant impact on my life. I play their games, ( used to ) watch their shows, read their manga, drive their cars and the list goes on and on. Therefore, this is something important for me to do. Deal with it.

[quote name='Meeryn']Donated $25.

I'm using it right now; I like the colours. But does anybody know how to separate the menu bar thing from the background? I'd still prefer to use my MGS4 calligraphy menu bar over the default PS3 menu bar.

I donated to Japan because Japanese culture has had a significant impact on my life. I play their games, ( used to ) watch their shows, read their manga, drive their cars and the list goes on and on. Therefore, this is something important for me to do. Deal with it.[/QUOTE]

You need to get the theme as a wallpaper, and apply it over on the MGS theme. I dont know of another way... =[

[quote name='admiralvic']You need to get the theme as a wallpaper, and apply it over on the MGS theme. I dont know of another way... =[[/QUOTE]
Yeah... I can't figure out how to separate the wallpaper out though, so the MGS4 theme keeps applying its own wallpapers... BBRRROOOOTTTTHHHEERRRRRRRR is so domineering... :(

[quote name='Todd33']Donating for? Japan, one of the richest countries on the planet?

Meanwhile destitute people live in poverty all over the world and get no fundraiser, sad. I guess it takes a disaster to get people's attention.[/QUOTE]

Japan having a lot of money does not mean Japan will spend all of that money helping the people devastated by the disaster. People donating to any charity is a positive thing, trying to make them feel bad about it is despicable.

[quote name='artego']So does anyone know if there's another way to do this? Like via a PC or PSP or something?[/QUOTE]

Can you check the PSP's PSN Store?

[quote name='Ecofreak']Can you check the PSP's PSN Store?[/QUOTE]

I checked on my PSP last night; couldn't find the theme anywhere, had to do it through the PS3.

I wish they did one for the PSP as well; I would donate, again, even more :)

Donated ^_^, had 2$ left after buying Dissidia Prologus, was gonna just end up buying some avatars, why not help Japan and get a cool looking theme at the same time.

What's annoying about this is that they charge tax on top of the price. Say for a $2 donation I would need to pay $2.17, but the minimum amount the PSN wallet takes is $5. What am I gonna do with the balance since I never buy stuff off PSN? I would have donated $5 in its entirety, but with tax it would be $5.4, then I would need to add $10 to cover that.

I am trying to do some good here, but capitalism got in the way so thanks but no thanks. My money is going to Japan through other channels.

[quote name='Max Spider X']What's annoying about this is that they charge tax on top of the price. Say for a $2 donation I would need to pay $2.17, but the minimum amount the PSN wallet takes is $5. What am I gonna do with the balance since I never buy stuff off PSN? I would have donated $5 in its entirety, but with tax it would be $5.4, then I would need to add $10 to cover that.

I am trying to do some good here, but capitalism got in the way so thanks but no thanks. My money is going to Japan through other channels.[/QUOTE]

just change your location to a state that doesn't charge taxes....

[quote name='Max Spider X']What's annoying about this is that they charge tax on top of the price. Say for a $2 donation I would need to pay $2.17, but the minimum amount the PSN wallet takes is $5. What am I gonna do with the balance since I never buy stuff off PSN? I would have donated $5 in its entirety, but with tax it would be $5.4, then I would need to add $10 to cover that.

I am trying to do some good here, but capitalism got in the way so thanks but no thanks. My money is going to Japan through other channels.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think its if you have to add more than 5, you can add exactly the amount (like 5.40). That is if you want to give them 5 dollars in the first place. Tax on donations is bull though.

fXEJ5.png

Change your address by the way so you wouldn't get charged tax on any purchase.

A: It's not free if you have to pay for it.
B: If they gave THAT much of a ****, then they would give something of value, not a theme so crappy I probably wouldn't download it if it WERE free.

Not a comment on donating to red cross, just my commentary on sony's half-assed "promotion".

[quote name='mietha']A: It's not free if you have to pay for it.
B: If they gave THAT much of a ****, then they would give something of value, not a theme so crappy I probably wouldn't download it if it WERE free.

Not a comment on donating to red cross, just my commentary on sony's half-assed "promotion".[/QUOTE]
i agree,

Not a comment on donating to red cross, just my commentary on sony's half-assed "promotion".[/QUOTE]

Pretty idiotic logic and post. Frankly, they didn't have to offer shit. Look at all the other donation places out there, you're not getting anything but the satisfaction that you gave back, maybe a tax deductible receipt at best. What the fuck are you expecting with a donation? A game? People give back out of kindness, not to get some sort of material thing "of value" in return. Sony could have just set up a donation page with no theme and I would be fine with that. Calling it a "half-assed promotion" just shows a lack of tact on your end.

Pretty sad day when donations are frowned upon because you can't get something of value in return for your money.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Pretty idiotic logic and post. Frankly, they didn't have to offer shit. Look at all the other donation places out there, you're not getting anything but the satisfaction that you gave back, maybe a tax deductible receipt at best. What the fuck are you expecting with a donation? A game? People give back out of kindness, not to get some sort of material thing "of value" in return. Sony could have just set up a donation page with no theme and I would be fine with that. Calling it a "half-assed promotion" just shows a lack of tact on your end.

Pretty sad day when donations are frowned upon because you can't get something of value in return for your money.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand the attack either. They're letting you donate money easily thru PSN and giving you a free theme if you do it. It's like people who donate blood and get a free cookie but i guess the cookie isn't free then.

Sony is trying to help out their country and trying to give you a little something in return even if you'll never use it or like it.

Look at the UK store, they get nothing... so Yes "Half assed" indeed.

As far as the theme, there is no way and most likely wont be. The theme is just a wallpaper so it would be pointless if they gave it

I have neither a problem with the cause, nor the promotion.

My only issue is with the gross misuse of the term 'free' in the title of this topic. I would have called it "PSN Theme with $2+ donation to Red Cross for Japanese disaster relief" or simply "PSN theme with donation".

The only issue I have with this is that they charged me tax for it. I don't mind cause it's probably because of how PSN is setup, but I hope that little extra for tax they charged goes to Japan also cause donations like these are not suppose to be taxable IIRC.

bread's done
Back