Free Steel Diver / Pilot Wings Resort when you buy a 3DS XL @ Gamestop

They still can't get rid of these games? How many times have they been free or $5???

"If you take a shit in the middle of the store and pre-order in the same visit, you get Steel Diver or Pilot Wings Resort for free!"

haha...at least they're offering something. I suppose you could match this at BB and get $5 GC from points. not bad considering if you can get someone to match the promo.

Yup in store as well. Just went back to mine because I bought my 3DS XL yesterday and didn't get one. No problems whatsoever in picking it up.

[quote name='100xp']haha...at least they're offering something. I suppose you could match this at BB and get $5 GC from points. not bad considering if you can get someone to match the promo.[/QUOTE]

Does BB actually match deals? If so I will do this just to get the free game and the already free hard case.

Thanks op. I called my Gamestop and they hadn't realized the promo was for the XL as well...they've got Pilotwings set aside for me.

[quote name='Pixie Stix 88']Does BB actually match deals? If so I will do this just to get the free game and the already free hard case.[/QUOTE]
No they don't, they wont do any sort of "free" deals when it comes to matching.

If you look at the bottom of their matching policy that's the only thing they say they wont do.

Some stores will go as far as to say that matching a deal like "Buy 1 get one 50% off" is also part of that policy.

[quote name='Pixie Stix 88']Does BB actually match deals? If so I will do this just to get the free game and the already free hard case.[/QUOTE]

did you say something? I was distracted by jogging in place.

[quote name='100xp']did you say something? I was distracted by jogging in place.[/QUOTE]

Yes i ask a simple question, Does Best Buy match deals? Such as givng me a free copy of steeldiver or pilotwings resort. Like Gamestop is doing?

If so BB is giving out free cases and a potential free game.

The guy at Gamestop gave me a hassle like no other. Kept saying his in store doesn't match the online and that it was free only if I bought a regular 3DS but the website doesn't say online only nor does it say that its online only. After a long long wait I wa sable to get it.

[quote name='aramsey1986']The guy at Gamestop gave me a hassle like no other. Kept saying his in store doesn't match the online and that it was free only if I bought a regular 3DS but the website doesn't say online only nor does it say that its online only. After a long long wait I wa sable to get it.[/QUOTE]

lol what a jackazz! Just tell the guy to add a Pilot Wing Resort to the trade in deal on his register and the price will come up as 0.00 automatically. If he overrides it, contact corporate on his azz

Preordered my XL at GS and picked it up at launch (yesterday), had no idea about a free game promotion,. Needless to say I walked out with just the system. Is it worth going back and asking for one of the games? Are they even that good? What do you guys think?

PilotWings Resort is a great game. I bought a 3DS a year ago, and it still remains one of the only two games I've purchased for it (the other being Ocarina of Time 3D).

[quote name='Nesboy43']Preordered my XL at GS and picked it up at launch (yesterday), had no idea about a free game promotion,. Needless to say I walked out with just the system. Is it worth going back and asking for one of the games? Are they even that good? What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

I heard it is a fun game. Nothing amazing but fun. I don't see why you wouldn't get it it FREE. Not to mention if you don't open it you can "walmart" it and use the cash for something else.

[quote name='TaylorM06']They still can't get rid of these games? How many times have they been free or $5???[/QUOTE]These are the DS versions of Sin & Punishment 2, Metroid other M, DNF & Brink LOL. They should be free w/any $100 pur. or system till stock is gone.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']No they don't, they wont do any sort of "free" deals when it comes to matching.

If you look at the bottom of their matching policy that's the only thing they say they wont do.

Some stores will go as far as to say that matching a deal like "Buy 1 get one 50% off" is also part of that policy.[/QUOTE]It's YMMV, when it comes to big ticket items though you have alot of leverage. If you really want the match offer to get the warranty & that will usually seal the deal. Even with just games like b2g1 BB will generally make the exception but you will usually need to "sweeten the deal" by buying more items.

[quote name='Pixie Stix 88']I heard it is a fun game. Nothing amazing but fun. I don't see why you wouldn't get it it FREE. Not to mention if you don't open it you can "walmart" it and use the cash for something else.[/QUOTE]

kQzpS.gif

[quote name='Pixie Stix 88']I heard it is a fun game. Nothing amazing but fun. I don't see why you wouldn't get it it FREE. Not to mention if you don't open it you can "walmart" it and use the cash for something else.[/QUOTE]

Im just not sure if they will let me do it since I've already purchased and opened the system. Also dont want to waste too much effort if the game is awful. Can't beat the price of free though, I'll give em a call soon and see what they say.

Whats a " walmart" it?

[quote name='fullcourt']I got Pilot Wings then exchanged it at Walmart for NSMB2 for only $10.[/QUOTE]

ummm...how?:hot:

[quote name='seraph011']ummm...how?:hot:[/QUOTE]

They return it without a receipt to Walmart and hope the person at the Customer Service desk doesn't figure it out. Another name for it is "Return Fraud", and it is also illegal.

Ahh....ohhh...I think I'll pass then.
It's enough that I got it for free..don't wanna rip someone else off because of it. ^^'

Thanks op. I got an XL on Sunday but didn't know about this deal. Will call today and try to get Pilot Wings (already have it, but can give to a friend).

[quote name='defpally']They return it without a receipt to Walmart and hope the person at the Customer Service desk doesn't figure it out. Another name for it is "Return Fraud", and it is also illegal.[/QUOTE]
return fraud: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_fraud

This isn't return fraud. Walmart lets customers return unopened items without a receipt if it is something they carry. You can only get store credit for it, and the value received is supposed to be the lowest price Walmart has ever offered that item at (to prevent people from buying during a sale, then returning later when the price goes back up). I've done it a few times with video games, either because I bought the game and it stayed in my backlog for too long, or I got it as a gift and already had a copy.

It is fraud. They let you return things that you bought at Walmart without a receipt. They aren't looking to serve as a reseller for whatever you found on sale at some other store. Next time go in and be straight with them and see what happens. Tell them "hey I got this free at some other store, can I get new credit for it here?".

If you have to lie or intentionally omit details to make a return then chances are you aren't following their return policy. Abuse of return policy hurts everyone, because it eventually causes store to change the policy to be more restrictive.

Way to be a dirtbag

[quote name='lilman']Thanks op. I got an XL on Sunday but didn't know about this deal. Will call today and try to get Pilot Wings (already have it, but can give to a friend).

return fraud: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_fraud

This isn't return fraud. Walmart lets customers return unopened items without a receipt if it is something they carry. You can only get store credit for it, and the value received is supposed to be the lowest price Walmart has ever offered that item at (to prevent people from buying during a sale, then returning later when the price goes back up). I've done it a few times with video games, either because I bought the game and it stayed in my backlog for too long, or I got it as a gift and already had a copy.[/QUOTE]
That's return fraud.

This isn't fuck complicated.

Walmart has a system where anything you buy from them can be returned to them with no slip. Since they already made money on the item you bought they'll let you return it and come out with nothing gained nothing lost.

When dirtbags return stuff from OTHER retailers it means that Walmart is taking a hit because they didn't make any money off your purchase so they're actually losing money.

I'm not going to call you a dirtbag because it looks like you honestly didn't understand what it meant. If you keep on doing it from this point onward then please, take the title of dirtbag.

SMH if any of these people actually though Wal-mart just let you return things from other stores out of the kindness of their heart. Return fraud through and through, though most will justify it to themselves one way or another. The rest of us will have to deal with it through higher prices/lower wages/ etc.

Came back from local GS with Pilot Wings. All I needed to bring was the XL receipt, and I didn't even go to the same store I bought it from (they were out of Pilot Wings). Make sure to call ahead, I think a lot of stores only have Steel Diver left. Thanks again for the heads up op.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']When dirtbags return stuff from OTHER retailers it means that Walmart is taking a hit because they didn't make any money off your purchase so they're actually losing money..[/QUOTE]
I see your point. I never felt bad since in the case of non-gift returns, I always ended up losing money on the transaction. Like with God of War 3, I bought new at $50-60 when it was released, never opened it, returned it the other day to Walmart for $30 credit. Not quite as dirtbagish as the things in that return fraud link (stolen merchandise, switching labels, etc.), but I can see where this could be abused. For duplicate Christmas/birthday/whatever gift return, it's simply exchanging one item of stock for another. A little overhead is incurred, but I don't see it as a morally bad action.

In this scenario where you get a sealed game for free from a different store, mho is that you should sell on eBay or give to a friend. It would be smart for GS to open these free games when they give them to you.

I've heard there is a limit to how many items you can return without a receipt within a given time period (like 3 per year). If that is true, should help curb abuse.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']I'm not going to call you a dirtbag because it looks like you honestly didn't understand what it meant. If you keep on doing it from this point onward then please, take the title of dirtbag.[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't care about a stranger's personal opinion of me anyway ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
I went back in with my receipt and they went through the computer and gave me Pilotwings no issue at all. As a matter of fact, the employee thanked me because he had just bought one too so he pulled one out for himself at the same time.

Btw, what was mentioned above IS referenced on that Wikipedia link under the sub-heading of "receipt fraud". Bottom line, it's wrong, it's illegal and it hurts prices and deals for all of us. It's one thing to return a gift no receipt because you think it was bought there or the receipt got thrown out or lost, in fact if you explain that most stores would work with you on those. Knowingly lying is completely different.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Is this still going on?[/QUOTE]
I just did it sunday so not sure if it continues the rest of the week

bread's done
Back