Free Stuff Friday - Guitar Hero vs. Rock Band battle!

Anybody who says that Rock Band is better has probably only played Rock Band. I've played Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and Guitar Hero is waaaay better.

[quote name='numbier_wun']Anybody who says that Rock Band is better has probably only played Rock Band.[/quote]

There is so much fail in this sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been with GH all the way up to Rock Band. Guitar Hero has become a sellout and it's main focus is $ while Rock Band has stayed true to it's fans and has been for them.

[quote name='WarriorBlake']I've been with GH all the way up to Rock Band. Guitar Hero has become a sellout and it's main focus is $ while Rock Band has stayed true to it's fans and has been for them.[/quote]

My exact feelings right there.

[quote name='numbier_wun']Anybody who says that Rock Band is better has probably only played Rock Band. I've played Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and Guitar Hero is waaaay better.[/quote]

Lol. I have played both. In fact I own GHWT and I must say, although the instruments are better, the game play is a lot worse and it has crappier songs compared to RB2. Just my opinion though.

I own both World Tour and Rock Band 2, and in my opinion, Rock Band 2's setlist is way better, I can't tolerate GH's setlist except for about 5 songs.

[quote name='alpha064']I own both World Tour and Rock Band 2, and in my opinion, Rock Band 2's setlist is way better, I can't tolerate GH's setlist except for about 5 songs.[/quote]

Same for me. After buying Rock Band 2 last month, GH4 might never touch my Wii ever again.

I

[quote name='numbier_wun']Anybody who says that Rock Band is better has probably only played Rock Band. I've played Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and Guitar Hero is waaaay better.[/QUOTE]

Way better as in way better at overcharting notes to incorrectly increase difficulty? Way better as in completely messing up the drum beat to "Ramblin Man" by the Allman Brothers? Way better as in having a completely messed up way to traverse the set list?

Rock Band is miles ahead of Guitar Hero because the originators, Harmonix, work on it. Neversoft and Activision have turned the GH franchise into a laughing stock. There's nothing about Rock Band that I'd prefer done the Activision way. Harmonix has been on mark providing countless downloads for the product that work on both released games, Rock Band 1 and 2, while Activision is still struggling to catch up with quality (I won't bring up quantity).

That being said, I do enjoy GHWT for the songs RB doesn't have. That drumset though is a piece of work....

the one thing GHWT has going for it is the song creation, hopefully rock band 3 will have that, some guys have made game tunes that sound just like the old versions

[quote name='wesdw369']the one thing GHWT has going for it is the song creation, hopefully rock band 3 will have that, some guys have made game tunes that sound just like the old versions[/quote]

I found song creation on GHWT an epic fail. The notes barely sound like a guitar when you play them, it sounds like the notes are being played off of a electric keyboard or something.

I owned both at one point (Ended up getting rid of GHWT on here), but both have their positives and negatives. I will say this though, GH really needs to have a set way of using the franchise as a platform rather than releasing 2 games a year. Now that they have the whole band set, there is NO REASON to keep putting out single games.

[quote name='numbier_wun']Anybody who says that Rock Band is better has probably only played Rock Band. I've played Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and Guitar Hero is waaaay better.[/quote]

Yeah...Guitar Hero is so much better they had to copy off of Rock Band. :roll:

But seriously...I've played both games as well and Rock Band blows GH out of the water in so many areas.

Not only that, but Rock Band let's you play all of it's DLC in both of it's games. GH makes you buy game specific DLC so you can only play some DLC in certain GH games. That is incredibly lame.

I agree with what everyone has said here. I have both games for the 360 and I still have not finished GHWT yet since you can't do the single songs in a set. I sometimes only have time for a couple song and not a set of 5-6 song that I have to play at once. In RB2 you can save between songs in a set at least.

Rock Band 2 gets my vote.

I have them all, and Guitar Hero World Tour is just AWFUL. Rock Band 2 is an amazing game with a kickass setlist and DLC. Rock Band all the way.

Guitar Hero is better because GH's Expert mode is much more difficult than Rock Band's (Casual gamers might say that's a bad thing, but it's a definite plus to hardcore gamers) and the song list is more metal/hard rock based than Rock Band - which is more pop/punk based.

Rock Band is a better franchise than Guitar Hero. If you look at how each series is progressing, Rock Band it paving its own way and is constantly updating, while Guitar Hero these days is trying to copy Rock Band and is going in a slow, downward spiral. I do play and enjoy both, but one thing both games seriously need to do is connect the community. I want the multiplayer to feel like Halo, where everyone has a rank and there is a good lobby system with plenty of game choices to pick. Both games are missing this.

[quote name='numbier_wun']Guitar Hero is better because GH's Expert mode is much more difficult than Rock Band's (Casual gamers might say that's a bad thing, but it's a definite plus to hardcore gamers) and the song list is more metal/hard rock based than Rock Band - which is more pop/punk based.[/QUOTE]

The Expert mode is only more difficult because Neversoft overcharts, adding in notes that they THINK they hear versus notes that they actually hear. If I wanted to have a wank fest with sweeps up and down the fretboard, I better have picked "Through the Fire and Flames" not "Hit Me With Your Best Shot". This has been a problem for them since GH3. This overcharting also affects the 'realism' in certain songs. I'll list "Ramblin Man" by the Allman Brothers Band again. The expert drum track completely misses the mark because Neversoft are worried about Expert being "Uber Aggressive". Although the Allman Brothers Band had two drummers, the charting mixes both drum parts up, which only goes to show that Neversoft don't think before they chart.

Thats only on one song as well. The Smashing Pumpkins track "Today" is also greatly flawed as well. The verse drum 'riff' has the user alternating between a tom hit, a snare hit, and another tom hit, that Jimmy Chamberlain doesn't do in the verse. Neversoft artificially inflates difficulty through the use of overcharting so this "Expert is more difficult in GHWT than RB" is only due to one developer deciding "Hey, lets add in a bunch of notes here" while the other is "Lets do this thing right."

As for the metal/hard rock based, that's completely unfounded. GHWT's main set list boasts few metal/hard rock songs, and its DLC is completely void of them. Rock Band boasts 81 songs defined as "Metal", 32 songs as "Punk", and 20 songs as "Progressive". That list alone absolutely trashes GHWT.

[quote name='dim2192']Rock Band is a better franchise than Guitar Hero. If you look at how each series is progressing, Rock Band it paving its own way and is constantly updating, while Guitar Hero these days is trying to copy Rock Band and is going in a slow, downward spiral. I do play and enjoy both, but one thing both games seriously need to do is connect the community. I want the multiplayer to feel like Halo, where everyone has a rank and there is a good lobby system with plenty of game choices to pick. Both games are missing this.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see a lobby system as well, but the current system isn't that bad.

I would have to agree with both camps. Hardcore gamers who view rock games as purely challenge will prefer Guitar Hero as it exists today. But gamers who like to enjoy their music and care less about proving their mad skillz than having a good time will prefer Rock Band.

Personally, it comes down to playability. Even using the Rock Band guitar (which is more comfortable for me), I can only play 5-10 Guitar Hero (III or greater) songs in a row - and I can usually feel it after the first song. On Rock Band, with rare exception, I can play for hours without pain. I feel like the Rock Band charts are, on the whole, designed to be played like music (even if the notes aren't 1-to-1). If I find a song hurts in Rock Band, it generally means that I need to rethink how I'm hitting the notes. Sometimes a simple adjustment such as using my pinky for a note I'd normally hit with my ring finger will put me right back into the groove.

All that said, the Guitar Hero hat is pretty sweet looking (I love the orange stitching). And doesn't have that many people playing for it. Last chance - entries close Thursday afternoon!

bread's done
Back