Might go get myself one today

WARNING WARNING WARNING READ THIS FIRST
Real Tape hours
Best mode 11 hours
2nd best mode 18 hours
3 best mode 25 hours
Worst mode 39 hours

Just so everyone knows :)

The Toshiba Digital Media Server (SD-H400 - 80 hour unit with built-in DVD player) includes basic tivo service for free so once you buy the unit you won't have to pay for anything else.

But: The $100 rebate requires that you be a paying subscriber for at least 30 days when they process the rebate application.

IMO the Plus subscription is well worth it because I don't have to find out what times the shows I want to record are on; I just have to tell it which shows (and in case of syndication/multiple networks) and which channel.

man i want one so freakking bad (im too lazy to get off my fat ass to go buy one lol ))

i will probally pick one up thursday

THe tivo /dvd player is on sale for 249.99 what kind of sucks they was on sale for 199.99 before but 149.99 for an 80 hour + dvd player

my cable company charges 9.95 for a 35 hour system what comes out in oct so its around the same price + get a 4 year warrenty on it at best buy if it breaks in 4 years WHAM 100 bucks back

its just too bad its 12.95 a month would loved it even more at 8.95

THe tivo /dvd player is on sale for 249.99 what kind of sucks they was on sale for 199.99 before but 149.99 for an 80 hour + dvd player

Sure, if you want a Tivo box that does nothing. You have to remember the service charges to compare fairly.

249.99 is the absolute most you'll pay for the toshiba.
If you bought the comparable 80 hour for 100 after rebate, you'd still have to pay the 12.99 a month or the one time fee. Unless you only going to be using the Tivo for bout 6th months before the break even point hits (less if you buy a more expensive DVD player), the Tivo box and DVD player you suggest will always cost more.

You have to remember that the service charge is inherent to the use of the TIVO service, EXCEPT in the case of the Toshiba.

no im saying it sucks that they didnt drop it back to 199.99 like it was 2 weeks ago

i had a few tivo / dvd players back in june for 300 it was a nice service but really couldnt look at paying 400 (includes 4 year warrenty) for something that just tapes off tv

i could swing 12.95 a month very easy then paying around 200 out of pocket more hell i was more then 13 a month on junk

already got a Dvd player in my ps2 yea the 80 hour is double the time but its 100 bucks more yea its free basic servie makes u wonder

One hand

40 hour tivo 99.99 + 20 for warrenty
Dvd 80 hour tivo 249 + 90 for warrenty

40 hour 120 dvd 340

40 hours pro got 220 in pocket con 40 hours / no dvd fees
dvd player pro no fees 80 hours CON 220 more

so that 220 could almost pay for lifetime of tivo

i think u can do a transfer but its not free + almost a 2 year difference in price so you will be paying the same amount for almost 2 years but u would have basic service on the dvd while plus on the Tivo

Dont know what happens to the Dvd if tivo turns off Basic service

o by the way got to love best buy 249.99 for the item seen it online store for 600 lol

LOL im out of luck they want 90 bucks on both systems for the warrenty that is just plan stupid 90 buck for a 99 buck item lol

shows up for 199.99 then says sale 99.99 before 100 buck rebate

Probally wont get one now

one with 4 year warrenty is 190 90 bucks for warrenty is nuts

Going from memory since I can't seem to find it on the site right now: The lifetime sub is only good for that box and for the purchaser. They will transfer the sub if they have to exchange the box because it breaks, but not for any other reason.

Like slidecage said, you can also pay to transfer the lifetime sub.

As a part of TiVo rewards if you refer enough people you can do it for "free", IIRC 5 referrals are needed - the same as is needed for a 140 hr TiVo.

lol this is plan silly we got 2 best buys here

1 says its free after rebate

1 says its 99.99 after rebate

go figure

hell i might still pick one up and just forget the rebate they are free so if it breaks in say 6 months i just get another im not out no money

THANKS!

I've been wanting to buy a TiVo for over a year now! Just bought it online, can't wait to go pick it up instore.

People check your credit cards

some company will double the warrenty

So you have 2 years parts 180 days labor ( 6 month)

man now its too good to pass up i might get one Weds or thursday

(also CC matches this so if u want the warrenty)

CC 3 year is 50 a lot cheaper then BB 4 for 90

got to get one of these

Alright I got some tivo questions, it works with your cable service all u need to do is run the cables through the tivo and u need a phone line to have it work?

I can only speak about the Toshiba model I bought (SD-H400).

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']Alright I got some tivo questions, it works with your cable service all u need to do is run the cables through the tivo and u need a phone line to have it work?[/quote]

That is correct.

If you have a cable or satellite box you will also need to hook up the included IR or Serial cable so that the TiVo can control the channel.

My model supports using a USB ethernet connection (wireless or wired) so once you've done the initial set up you can unhook the phone line and use the ethernet instead. The info included with the TiVo says that they only support a few different models, but some people on FW have had success and failure with several different brands not listed. (In other words, YMMV).

[quote name='MegaMan3k']Can you take it off the HD and put it on your computer?[/quote]

It is possible to hack the boxes so you can install your own software, upgrade the HD, etc. I have no idea whether that also lets you decode the video it records.

I think it was possible to get the video files on the series 1 models, but they supposedly upped the protection with series 2. But this is going on information I gleaned a while ago (before I was even interested in buying one) so who knows how accurrate this paragraph is :roll:

HTH,

James

some channels will not work HBO is one of them i think showtime is another most movie channels i dont think will record not sure

u do need a phone line but they said u would only have too hook it up like every 14 days

i wonder if the thing would still work if u didnt pay the 12.95 i know nothing new would download but wonder if the recorder would still work by hand

bread's done
Back