Free Windows Vista Business & Office Professional 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

erehwon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
I noticed this on slickdeals. Just a warning though, their site is really being hammered. Patience is going to be required. People are having a lot of problems with the site, since it is being so hammered by the load. You have to watch 3 videos to qualify for this. It might take a long time for it to register that you watched one. Some of mine have been pending since early this morning.

Link to the site: http://www.powertogether.com/

I think this is pretty legit. You have to login with your Windows Live ID and the whois has msft.net servers.

Microsoft did the same thing with Visual Studio a couple years back.

I actually got that Visual Studio awhile back. As far as this promotion goes, I'm waiting for my things to switch from pending to completed. I'm tempted to try and get both.

I clicked the "Sign In" button and it signed me in as guest, not even giving me an option of putting in my Windows Live ID.
Anyone have the same thing?

[quote name='zewone']When someone actually finishes this, tell me if they give you a specific or shared serial number.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing they are give the real deal out since you have to file a W-9 if you apply for both of them.

If you are eligible for and register to receive both gifts, you must complete a W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) form prior to receipt of the second gift.

Seeing how I will already have to pay taxes on another "free" item I got this year, I will wait until January 1st to sign up. Also, that way you all can tell me if this was a scam to get your windows signon info :).

T

Just cause I like CAG, I'll let you guys know this is a real site and not a phishing scam. Check it out Link to PROOF!!!!111

I completed my offers (They stayed at "Pending" for a while, then I looked today and they now say "Completed". In the linked discussion it says that you should expect to recieve the software in mid-to-late January.

If you're interested in the offer, I wouldn't wait to sign up - who knows how many free licenses they're going to give out. I imagine with all the publicity, they're getting a LOT of interest (even if it's being dismissed by many as a scam).

Couple ?'s, and some are newbie ones: 1. Do u HAVE TO give your Social Security Number? 2. Can u get either program with having Windows ME as your OS, and what about XP? 3. What does Vista Business include? Thanks for any help ahead of time.

[quote name='dman1869']Couple ?'s, and some are newbie ones: 1. Do u HAVE TO give your Social Security Number? 2. Can u get either program with having Windows ME as your OS, and what about XP? 3. What does Vista Business include? Thanks for any help ahead of time.[/QUOTE]

Your social security number is only required if you get both Vista and Office. This is an IRS requirement - any prize or gift with a value of over $600 is required to be reported to the IRS. If you only get Vista or Office, but not both, you will never have to give your SS number. Note your SSN is not required when you register for the site. The only time your SSN will be required is when they send you a W-9 form to fill out and return to them (the W-9 requires your SSN)

Here is a link to a feature comparison between the different versions. Also check out the Wikipedia Vista page on the different versions.

[quote name='basketkase543']Where do you get a Windows Live ID?[/quote]

I know one way to get an ID is to sign up for hotmail

I was reading over the posts from the link that pinatamonkey provided and according to someone close to Microsoft and especially this offer had this to say:

" Hey guys, getting close here on selling out of Vista. You may have only an hour or less left.

Congrats to all you who made it through the registration and webcasts for Vista and Office. Your status should get updated sometime this evening so be patient. The email servers are probably working overtime right now as well to let you know that you've qualified so sit tight.

Regards,
Mark"

That was posted today (November 30th) at 6:54 p.m. So anyone one the fence or has been waiting for the traffic to die down on the site should get to it.

Hopefully I will still get my copy of Vista Business since I registered already and needed to watch one more webcast which I did today.

As it states on the site:
Already Registered? If you have already registered for the Vista Campaign, selected a gift and are eligible to receive the free gift, please continue to watch your webcasts to complete the requirements for your free Windows Vista Business.

Just curious if anyone knows, do they send you a confirmation email to let you know if you are going to be getting the software once you have 3 completed items and it says completed on the site?

Seems shady when I use Opera 9 and check the encryption certificate it has a couple errors, in all the months I've been using Opera 9 and the time prior using the beta that's never happened on a legit site. I'm overprotective about this kinds of things usually though, maybe I'll email MS and ask them.

probably not required or may not be the only one, but after I put my pass in, I didnt' feel very comfortable, now I don't use my hotmail(live) account for anything really but I didn't care for that so I did change my pass (though that pass isn't as comfortable...but I suppose thats for the best) just in case

It looks like they are out of copies of vista. I'm trying for office, but I don't know if I'll be able to get that one either. It takes awhile for these videos to go from in progress to pending and while it's in progress you can't view any other videos. I would really like to get atleast one.

I had a productive day at work - watched all 6 videos (or at least, let them play while I worked ;)) and now they're all showing as "Pending". I'm assuming that's a good sign.

Hmm...out of the three webcasts I "viewed", one of them says "completed" while the other two says "pending". Does anyone know how to get a "completed" status?

It just takes a while for them to go from "pending" to completed, around 24 hours. I had some change over from yesterday to today. Now they all say completed and that I should expect my CD in 6-8 weeks. Here's hoping it comes.

Damn, I didn't get in on vista, but I signed up for office yesterday. Vista doesn't seem like that big a deal anymore anyway, so office is more important to me.

I already signed up for office, so once these things actually go complete I'll still get it, right?

EDIT: after reading that forum I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

bleh I registered when Office was still available but had no time to watch the vids.... now they're all gone... I'll just hope my dad gets both for free from his workplace

[quote name='Oktoberfest']bleh I registered when Office was still available but had no time to watch the vids.... now they're all gone... I'll just hope my dad gets both for free from his workplace[/quote]

You can still get a copy of the programs if you signed up before they all gone. MS went by how many people registered not by how many people signed up. So if you were to register a copy days ago and wasn't able to watch the movies, you can watch how many you need to watch and still be up for a free copy.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']bleh I registered when Office was still available but had no time to watch the vids.... now they're all gone... I'll just hope my dad gets both for free from his workplace[/quote]
If you registered before they were out then you can still get it. They put sold out after a certain number of people have registered, not completed it.

EDIT: Wow, I shouldn't leave the window open, eat, and then come reply without refreshing... :p

All of my webcasts are saying complete now. I don't know if I'll get a copy, but it was worth a try. I've gotten four emails to take a survey, 2 for vista and 2 for office. Do you think if I don't do them, it'll affect my chances of getting either? I did the little survey that that was at the end of the webcasts.

Luckily I registered right before going to class the other day, they sold out while I was in class. Did my webcasts when I got home which are now in complete status. Looks like I should get a copy of Vista. thanks OP!

Odd when I first registered vista side was dead for me, so I went with office. But now it is saying I can still do vista. Will repost after all webcasts are completed to tell you all what it says to me.

I guess I messed up my registration for the Vista side as it will only let me complete the Office side. I've watched the required (3) videos as of tonight. (2) are marked complete and (1) shows PENDING. I went in an re-watched the pending video again but I can't get it to show complete.

I only had time for the Vista site but here's hoping. I need to build a low-endish Vista machine sometime soon just so I can keep up with my freelance IT clients needs. Not that I don't want it for its own sake, it's just that I couldn't justify the expenditure for a new machine otherwise.

[quote name='ziutek']It takes around a day after viewing a video for it to change from pending to completed.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up on that. I will check the site tomorrow to see if it's updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back